What's new

Scripts on R7000 with Xwrt-Vortex stopped working (fixed - ignore)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Indyman

Occasional Visitor
I posted this problem on the LinksysInfo.org site as well but I had good luck here previously with the fine folks in this forum so here it is. I have a Netgear R7000 running R7000_380.68.4 Xwrt-Vortex firmware and all of a sudden my scripts stopped working. I have a script called services-start that I use to send a magic packet to my NAS server on Sunday and Monday nights:
#!/bin/sh
cru a Sunday_NAS_on "50 22 * * Sun /jffs/scripts/wol_nas.sh"
cru a Mon_NAS_on "50 19 * * Mon [ \"\$(date +%d)\" -le 07 ] && /jffs/scripts/wol_nas.sh"

The wol_nas.sh script it refers to is this:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/ether-wake -b 00:00:00:00:00:00 (not my real MAC address of course ..)
logger DADS_NAS is waking up

The scripts worked fine and then all of a sudden about a week ago they stopped working. Here is what I found:
1. enable custom jffs scripts is on. I reformated and added the scripts back but still not working. Both scripts are executable. A "cru l" shows both cron entries in jffs/scripts
2. when I run the scripts the logger entry shows up in sys.log but WOL packet is not sent per Wireshark.
3. I can issue a WOL command under Network Tools and a magic packet is sent and confirmed by Wireshark.
4. If I issue "/usr/sbin/ether-wake -b 00:00:00:00:00:00" under Tools - Run Command it fails.
5. If I execute "ether-wake -b 00:00:00:00:00:00" under Tools-Run Command a magic packet is sent (again confirmed by Wireshark)
I'm not sure what to try next - any thoughts to what is going on? I thought maybe my Symantec firewall started blocking it for some reason but as you can see some magic packets do get thru, just not from my scripts. Thanks for your help.

10-Dec-2017: update - OK so it ran correctly tonight - magic packet sent at 11pm. Not sure what happened though I have rebooted multiple times. I am deleting this thread - thank you for your time

Last edited: