What's new

Secondary DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

haughjd

Occasional Visitor
I have a question about my DNS setup.

I have been using googles dns 8.8.8..8, and have found that browsing the internet does feel faster than when using an internal dns.

My question is basically when does the client refer its request to a secondary dns? For example if my request is for an internal server the google dns wont know about it. So if google is my primary dns, and I have my own internal dns will that be able to server the request? Or is the request only sent to the secondary if the primary is seen to be down?

The situation is that if I use 8.8.8.8 access to the internet is fast, but then I wont be able to use my internal systems. but if I only use an internal dns - it makes my internet access slow. What I need is the best of both worlds?

I have thought about editing my zone file on the internet so that google's 8.8.8.8 knows about the internal addresses of my servers.

Regards,
Jon

Set up your internal DNS so it forwards to Google servers when the zone is not one that it's authoritative for, then your internet will be just as fast. Secondary DNS is only used when the primary times out...