What's new

TP Link ER605 - DNS config for devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

autopilot

Occasional Visitor
Does anyone have this router, or know enough about it, to tell me is there is a way to manually set the DNS for either an individual device or range of IP’s?

Every router I have had allows this function via the DHCP settings. In this router I can only see it available to set globally per WAN.

You can create VLANs and specify a different DNS server for all devices in that VLAN. I don't know about any DNS override available at the device level.
I have an ER605 as a standby unit in case my main router (Untangle) was to die. It's been a while since I configured it so I'm not up to date with any features they might have added.

Mike

Does anyone have this router, or know enough about it, to tell me is there is a way to manually set the DNS for either an individual device or range of IP’s?

Every router I have had allows this function via the DHCP settings. In this router I can only see it available to set globally per WAN.

That's not typical for the TP-Link devices I've seen - I don't have a sample of your device - have you reached out to TP-Link customer care or their support forums?

This is a business class router and the cheapest one on the market at $60. This functionality is not needed in business environment with VLAN segmented network. This router is also Omada SDN integrated and some features are not available in stand alone mode.

This is a business class router and the cheapest one on the market at $60. This functionality is not needed in business environment with VLAN segmented network. This router is also Omada SDN integrated and some features are not available in stand alone mode.

Yes, only went with this one because it does dual wan so well for the money, it’s been faultless and far better than the Asus I had before that cost 6x more.

I should probably look into getting an Omada controller then as well do you think?

Omada controller is good to have if you use ER605 as main router, you need the extra features and you run multi-AP Omada system. If you want to experiment you don't need the hardware controller. You can download Omada Controller software and run it on available Windows/Linux device.