What's new

Solved Security updates on fork

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

camus

New Around Here
Hello. New here, first post. Thanks for being nice.

My router is among those dropped by the main firmware.

I noticed that there's a fork. I don't much care for the new features on the newer firmware, but would like to know if the security fixes in forks, such as @john9527, is updated. Last update on it on github was 19 days ago. Put differently, the main firmware and that fork has a difference of features, not security.

Thanks a lot.

Yes, John's fork is kept up to date with security fixes. It's the first item in the list of features:
Additional Information

The fork does include

• Maintenance for documented security issues
• Maintenance for supporting open source components (such as OpenSSL, Openvpn, dnsmasq, miniupnpd, etc)
• Backports of applicable fixes and new functions from Merlin's main branch
• An improved implementation of Traditional QoS
• A different IPv6 stack which may work better in some environments
• A separate build with older versions of the wireless drivers that some feel offer better performance (especially on the MIPS based routers)
• Less of a lockdown on tweaking power levels
• Support for Merlin jffs custom scripts and configs
• Support for AMTM and user addons with gui integration

Last edited:
Yes, John's fork is kept up to date with security fixes. It's literally the first thing in the list of features:
Thanks a lot, Colin. Actually, your name "Part of the Furniture" is one of the most amusing handles here. Thanks a lot. I'm happy to read this.

Thanks a lot, Colin. Actually, your name "Part of the Furniture" is one of the most amusing handles here. Thanks a lot. I'm happy to read this.
:D I wish I could claim responsibility for "Part of the Furniture" but it's auto-generated by the forum based on number of posts.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!