What's new

Current plans regarding separate version branches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sadly, I have no ISP options here that support more than what the AC68U supports. So I've been staying with that old but solid router since I bought it and haven't had any need to move of fit. I'm still amazed how stable it remains and so glad I bought it. EOL may be that need.

Rmerlin, none of us can thank you enough for your efforts. If you decide to not support a router line in the future, I'll be sad but I can fully understand.

A number of manufacturers have implemented automated updates. Google and Asus are two of them.
I just noticed this change after updating my XT9 to it latest firmware. I can't say loosing control over firmware updates to be for the better. @RMerlin does your firmware maintain the options prior to this change in the administration section? Also, do you know of a workaround (unsure who else to ask even though XT9's are currently not a model supported by your firmware).

Last edited:
I just noticed this change after updating my XT9 to it latest firmware. I can't say loosing control over firmware updates to be for the better. @RMerlin does your firmware maintain the options prior to this change in the administration section? Also, do you know of a workaround (unsure who else to ask even though XT9's are currently not a model supported by your firmware).
So what do you want to know exactly? If you do not have a device impacted by the EOL status, then what is the concern?
If you do have one, then probably switching to OpenWrt or DD-WRT from 2025 onward would do. If that doesn't work for you, sell the device ASAP.

do you know of a workaround

Your only workaround is to block Asus update servers with a firewall upstream. Nothing you can do on your TX9 WebUI.

does your firmware maintain the options prior to this change

Asuswrt-Merlin firmware doesn't have auto update options in WebUI. New firmware notification only, manual update after.

@KrypteX It is a 2 part question in regards to the auto update changes mentioned previously in the thread. That is specifically the concern. Previously the user had complete control of when/if to update firmware (and you'd simply see a notification icon appear at login when a new firmware came out). I have attached a screenshot of the new "Firmware Upgrade" tab. Note the description below "Auto Firmware Upgrade" and you'll noticed Asus is stating it can unilaterally update the router even if the option is set to Off. So to further clairfy as I currently do not have a model supported by RMerlin's firmware:

1) Does Merlin's firmware still maintain the interface (or settings) prior to this auto update change in the Administration/Firmware Upgrade tab (is the user still completely in control of firmware updating)?

2) Is there a known workaround to disable auto updating in its entirety?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330_170414_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_170414_Firefox.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 31
@zay2u, As indicated above, the Asus-Merlin firmware does not auto update. The user must go in and manually update the firmware themselves. Example Firmware page from a RT-AX86U Pro series router running Asus-Merlin firmware:

Firmware Upgrade.jpg

Last edited:

@Tech9 & @bennor, thank you for your responses and insight. As you can see, my Asus model is not currently supported by RMerlin; and (at least in my opinion) seeing such a significant change in the OEM firmware I felt the need to ask. It is yet another reason why the folks with supported models are spoiled for choice. And this forum has been a blessing because of the knowledge of it's members. Thank you again Tech9 and bennor. :)