What's new

Current plans regarding separate version branches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
I thought I'd make a post clarifying the current plans regarding the separate versions (386 and 388), and future plans.

386 branch:
This branch is for older models that Asus didn't move to the 388 codebase. This includes three Broadcom SDKs:

- SDK 6.x (RT-AC68U)
- SDK 7.14 (RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC5300)
- HND 5.02 (RT-AC86U, GT-AC2900) (Not to be confused with HND 5.02ax which is a newer SDK)

Development with the 386 branch will almost exclusively focus on component updates and fixes. I don't plan to add any further improvement to the existing features (386.13 will probably be the last one to get any new features, as the improved QoS Classification feature will be implemented in it).

In terms of model support, the SDK 7.14 models listed above have been EOL by Asus for a while now. I will move these models to EOL status myself in the near future. I may ask for one final GPL update with 386.14, if Asus are able to provide it. For the remaining models (RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U and GT-AC2900) I intend to keep supporting them until at least the end of the year, at which point I will re-evaluate them. It seems that Asus themselves just changed their plans, as these were also just moved on the End Of Life list. I will probably do the same then, have one final GPL merge for the RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U and GT-AC2900, and then limit things to just fixes and security updates until somewhere like the end of 2024.

Following the last final release for SDK 7.14 models, I may still issue a few minor releases (like 386.14_x) that will only include critical component updates (largely security-wise). These minor releases may extend over a few months, maybe until the end of 2024, I haven't decided any final end date.

More GPL merges may occur for the three remaining models, depending on Asus' own development After verification with them, no further GPL merge is expected for 386, unless a major fix is issued by Asus.

3004_388 branch:
This remains the main branch for all currently supported models that aren't still on the 386 codebase. I currently have no plan to add any new model to that codebase, however Gnuton may add some more models himself with his fork. The focus will remain the same as last year, where I will largely concentrate on updates and GPL merges, with a few occasional feature additions or enhancements.

The RT-AX56U is currently enjoying a temporary revival as Asus still included it in their last GPL drop, but I still consider this model to be out of support. 388.13 will most likely be the last release to include it, as 388.14 will most likely include a GPL merge.

Future 3006_102 branch:
I still don't have anything to announce. This includes not being able to confirm whether I will eventually support it or not. I got a preliminary code drop from Asus last year which allowed me to have a first glance at it, but that code wasn't in a compilable state yet. Asus still has no ETA as to when a finalized GPL based on that codebase will be available. For any decision to be made on my part, the following will need to happen:

- A finalized GPL drop need to be prepared for at least one model
- I need to evaluate how much effort will be required to merge it (based on my early look at the code last year - a lot of work)
- I need to decide if it's doable, and if I'm willing to put the effort into doing it. (yes, I may end up deciding not to based on my previous analysis)
- If I go forward with it, I need to decide which model to put on that code base (existing and/or new models)
- I will need to actually do it, which at a rough guesstimate will represent multiple weeks of work, to confirm I actually can do it
- Only after that I will be able to announce my final plans toward it

So the bottom line is, I still have no news to share on the 3006 front. That includes not being able to confirm whether it will happen or not. Anyone asking on when that will happen or whether I will implement support for new Wifi 7 models, people can refer them to this post. I do have a pair of Wifi 7 routers already from Asus, so having a development device isn't the current obstacle - the lack of available code is.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing - a timely post as I contemplate life beyond the AC88U.

As one question, do you have any insights you can share on Asus plans for 3004 vs 3006 branches if/when 3006 is stabilised and they move it out of beta?

I'm guessing they have little desire to maintain both branches long term. Just wondering whether 3004 only models may find themselves with an abbreviated support life from Asus at that point.

3004_388 branch:
This remains the main branch for all currently supported models that aren't still on the 386 codebase. I currently have no plan to add any new model to that codebase, however Gnuton may add some more models himself with his fork. The focus will remain the same as last year, where I will largely concentrate on updates and GPL merges, with a few occasional feature additions or enhancements.

The RT-AX56U is currently enjoying a temporary revival as Asus still included it in their last GPL drop, but I still consider this model to be out of support. 388.13 will most likely be the last release to include it, as 388.14 will most likely include a GPL merge.
Thank you Merlin.. Can you add core temperatures display to the home screen?

The information mentioned in the article may have an impact on the support duration of certain products, especially those using older SDK versions or nearing EOL status. Therefore, for consumers purchasing new devices, it is important to understand this information and be aware of the support plans for different products. We appreciate the author for providing a clear overview, explaining the current situation, outlining future directions, and candidly addressing uncertainties. This helps users gain a better understanding of potential changes that may occur in the future.

So glad you decided to write this post @RMerlin. Although I had previously read your "READ ME FIRST" thread; this gives much better context to the inner workings on your decision making.
I appreciate it as someone who exclusively ran your firmware on my previous router (which is now well past its EOL) and find your work on these asus routers remarkable.
Unfortunately, when I upgraded to my new one (a set of Zenwifi XT9's) I failed to notice if it was a model you support. Hopefully, one day it is; yet I mention this mainly as a recognition to how utterly different the expirience is using stock FW vs yours. And also because your firmware is so much more of a joy to work with.

Development with the 386 branch will almost exclusively focus on component updates and fixes. I don't plan to add any further improvement to the existing features (386.13 will probably be the last one to get any new features, as the improved QoS Classification feature will be implemented in it).

Sounds like LTS support - security fixes where they can be done...

It's the product life-cycle, and many of these devices have gone well and beyond their sell-buy dates as they are.

Well it seems Asus changed their own plans. A few weeks ago I was told they planned to keep supporting the RT-AC68U for a while longer, and now they just added it to the End of Life list. I updated the first post accordingly.

So for all 386 models, I will probably try to get one final GPL update from them, after which I will limit myself to fixes and component updates, probably until the end of 2024.

Sounds like LTS support - security fixes where they can be done...
More like the Extended Support provided by Microsoft or the PHP folks - past a certain point in time, only critical fixes will be provided, with no new features.

More like the Extended Support provided by Microsoft or the PHP folks - past a certain point in time, only critical fixes will be provided, with no new features.

That was my intent on my post - basically keeping the head above water on potential security patches if possible.

An small Q. in terms of security. Is the main router “still in service, non EOL router” leading, in terms of security, so we can enjoy an EOL router mesh network behind it? Tnx!

Your EoL routers used as AiMesh nodes are not Internet facing and don't do any routing. Nodes are access points (wired) or repeaters (wireless). You can continue using the existing nodes for as long as AiMesh compatibility is maintained or some extreme Wi-Fi related vulnerability is discovered.

An small Q. in terms of security. Is the main router “still in service, non EOL router” leading, in terms of security, so we can enjoy an EOL router mesh network behind it? Tnx!
The risks are really small for an AiMesh node. Even if a local PC were to be compromised with a malware that targets Asus routers, it would most likely only try to attack the default gateway, which is the main router. There is still a small chance that a malware may scan the whole network, find it, and install some form of payload on it (such as a cryptominer, which was a popular form of malware these past few years).

Well it seems Asus changed their own plans. A few weeks ago I was told they planned to keep supporting the RT-AC68U for a while longer, and now they just added it to the End of Life list. I updated the first post accordingly.

So for all 386 models, I will probably try to get one final GPL update from them, after which I will limit myself to fixes and component updates, probably until the end of 2024.
Your transparency and explanations are commendable. Would you consider lending that attitude to certain world governments, starting with the USA? :cool:

The risks are really small for an AiMesh node. Even if a local PC were to be compromised with a malware that targets Asus routers, it would most likely only try to attack the default gateway, which is the main router. There is still a small chance that a malware may scan the whole network, find it, and install some form of payload on it (such as a cryptominer, which was a popular form of malware these past few years).
Thanks Merlin. I feel safe with the AImesh now!

Well seems i have to retire my good old RT86U , it really was an honor using your firmware these past view years @RMerlin , I honestly thought they never would of eol the AC68u and 86u models because of how long they kept supporting them honestly when the AX models released i gave them a year well i got beat by 4 years lol

Last edited:
All I can say is thanks for 12+ years of trouble free router upgrades , before I found Merlin FW updates were something I dreaded never knowing if I would have a working router after the update. First Asus router I used with Merlin was an rt-12 or 16 . Whatever you choose to do thanks .