What's new

Current plans regarding separate version branches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you @RMerlin for all that you do to improve our experience using Asus routers!

It seems that HND 5.02 are sort of very similar hardware wise to some of the new routers such as AX68U
It's a different, older SDK, also an older kernel version than the WIfi 6 models.

It's a different, older SDK, also an older kernel version than the WIfi 6 models.

Right. But at some point they were not too dissimilar, no?

For example, version 386_7_2 existed both for AX68 & AC86. Was the codebase already so different between them? AX driver was different for sure, plus some AX options which would not matter for AC.

I guess if one is able to run something like AX68 386_7_2 version on AC86 with some mods as Step 1, that'd provide an approximate pathway to bolt AC86 patches on top of 388 branch.

Not that version AX 386_7_2 version of any particular interest on AC86, but it's a relatively quick test of the possible scope involved. If the scope is daunting, that's useful info.

But at some point they were not too dissimilar, no?
No. Each SDK is maintained separately. Broadcom dropped support for that SDK a long time ago.

For example, version 386_7_2 existed both for AX68 & AC86. Was the codebase already so different between them?
Asuswrt contains multiple SDKs, and each model is compiled using its appropriate SDK. You cannot compile a model with the SDK from a different model.

Remember to learn your lesson, and never buy Asus again, folks! Do not learn your lesson, and you have only yourself to thank the next time you're screwed!

I think we've gone well off the deep end - might be time to prune the thread and exercise editorial discretion - @thiggins @RMerlin any thoughts here?

What was an announcement turned into something else...

No. Each SDK is maintained separately. Broadcom dropped support for that SDK a long time ago.

Asuswrt contains multiple SDKs, and each model is compiled using its appropriate SDK. You cannot compile a model with the SDK from a different model.

Oops, thread closure danger is lurking!!! :)

I am now thinking the earliest HND 5.02ax SDK is when things were most similar to HND 5.02, so one would have to go back a good few years. At that point they would have been more in a rush to get HND 5.02ax out the door, so probably diverged the least from HND 5.02 that pre-existed. Of course, over time things could have drifted a lot more.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion, and all the support!

P.S. Based on archeology, AX88 is HND 5.02ax. 384.8 is the first release where it was supported. So one would try to get that to boot on AC86u - hoping earlier changes were more minor than later ones!

Last edited:
@heywire Timeout for you.
Thank you thiggens for maintaining this forum and the review site all these years , pretty amazing that this site has remained relatively civil most of the time . One of the best resources for networking on the web, god knows it has helped me big time over the years

Does Asus have a public roadmap regarding which chipset (Broadcom or Qualcomm or other) their future routers will use ? My AC3100 is now EOL, I want to continue using Asus Merlin (currently only supports broadcom) for any future router purchase but also want to buy a router with modern tech (wifi 7). For the time being, I will prob purchase a Merlin compatible wifi 6 version.

Does Asus have a public roadmap regarding which chipset (Broadcom or Qualcomm or other) their future routers will use ?
No. No hardware details are provided when a new product is announced, it's generally only found by the community once the product hits store shelves.

I want to continue using Asus Merlin (currently only supports broadcom)
Don't take for granted that any Broadcom device would always get Asuswrt-Merlin support. A device support is never guaranteed until I specifically announce it.

No. No hardware details are provided when a new product is announced, it's generally only found by the community once the product hits store shelves.

Don't take for granted that any Broadcom device would always get Asuswrt-Merlin support. A device support is never guaranteed until I specifically announce it.

Thanks, that makes sense. I will make my decision based on what currently compatible and available on the market.

Thanks RMerlin for all the work you do and for any future work you do. Your work is the main reason I purchased an Asus AX11000 Pro even though I really couldn't afford it. I did put money aside in an envelope for many, many months knowing I needed one and Best Buy had a huge sale for a week. Was watching prices for over a year and it is still the best price.

I think it is almost criminal that Netgear, TP-Link, Asus... do not continue to update their home routers for many years. Maybe there needs to be a world wide push for them to get some government money ( 99.5% of the time I'm against this ) to just do security updates. With humans though, not just rely on AI for writing code or even talk about that ( except for checking the code, but just talk ). Too bad Nvidia CEO has been saying what he's been saying about programming when he's been hiring ton's and ton's of programmers. Been watching a fair amount of YT vids ( always have really ) on this from people and it will just compliment you programming. But the high end ones are saying who literally look deep in the code for their students ( professors ) are seeing A Lot of errors with AI help. Now in 5-7 years, if they let the AI of now, screw up deep in the systems code then it really won't be that good, since AI just reads what we already did in the past ( true 100% AGI 3.0 is different ). That's why people like RMerlin are so invaluable.

As China has been hacking us a lot lately, well been going on for over a decade but we are to scared to talk about it ( what is really, really going on ). Why I purchased a CWWK i3-1315U 2.5 GB LAN pfSense CE ( Plus if you can afford it or OPNsense ) Router box and put 64GB of RAM in it ( why can't add a RAM stick to these $250+ Asus Routers ), powerful enough to run Proxmox with pfSense and other containers.
Got that awhile ago as I knew this stuff was coming and the FBI director said they have had to patch business and home routers that were not patched because of China hacks and negligence of users ( not people like us though ).

YT Feb 07, 2024_Sheriff Jones recently returned from the National Sheriff’s Association in Washington D.C. He spoke to the media about what he says he learned.

I hope to make a donation in a month or two. Just made a small one ( can't give much ) to Session Buddy since I guess Google screwed everything up and he had to do a full rewrite and going to take awhile to figure out to get some things back to where it was.

What happens if the next great platform is QC-Atheros or MediaTek based?

Looking at the current build-structure of AsusWRT, might not be so hard to migrate over... mediatek esp is fairly open compared to QCA or Broadcom over in OpenWRT land...

Rumblings I've heard is Avago is focusing their attention on the Data Center, much like Marvell did...

What happens if the next great platform is QC-Atheros or MediaTek based?

Looking at the current build-structure of AsusWRT, might not be so hard to migrate over... mediatek esp is fairly open compared to QCA or Broadcom over in OpenWRT land...

Rumblings I've heard is Avago is focusing their attention on the Data Center, much like Marvell did...
Unlikely to happen anytime soon. Asus is already committed to Broadcom for their current wave of Wifi 7 devices.

And I don't really feel like rewriting all my current platform-specific code for a different platform, so I have no desire to start adding any QCA/Mediatek device to Asuswrt-Merlin.

I think it is almost criminal that Netgear, TP-Link, Asus... do not continue to update their home routers for many years. Maybe there needs to be a world wide push for them to get some government money ( 99.5% of the time I'm against this ) to just do security updates. With humans though, not just rely on AI for writing code or even talk about that ( except for checking the code, but just talk ).

It does not matter and will never have an impact on anything.
Majority of routers never get updated simply because normal consumer is not even aware you can do it or how to do it.
80% will be bought and used the entire life span of the product with the firmware it came with out of the box. Unless it’s remotely managed. But that’s hardly the case for 3rd party routers.

Majority of routers never get updated simply because normal consumer is not even aware you can do it or how to do it.
80% will be bought and used the entire life span of the product with the firmware it came with out of the box. Unless it’s remotely managed. But that’s hardly the case for 3rd party routers.
A number of manufacturers have implemented automated updates. Google and Asus are two of them.

A number of manufacturers have implemented automated updates. Google and Asus are two of them.
Asus does automagic updates ? I really don't like that , I'll take care of my updates , what happens if the automagic update bricks the router ?

That is just another reason to run RMerlin (no auto updates).

Asus does automagic updates ? I really don't like that , I'll take care of my updates , what happens if the automagic update bricks the router ?
Google pushes updates to my Google Nest Wifi Pro router + mesh devices... for years. No issues.