What's new

Setting an external fan for R7800?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dannis

New Around Here
I am using an external fan to cool my R7800. Without a fan, it runs at 65 degree C in CPU and ~55 degree C in 5Ghz wifi, I enabled DNSCrypt 2 on with the my-base blacklist (>170,000 domain); I powered the fan with the router USB. When putting a fan under the router, it cools the router CPU to 46 degree C and 5Ghz wifi to 36 degree C. I wonder if it the fan hurt the router in the long term, or I just leave the router alone without a fan?

I am using an external fan to cool my R7800. Without a fan, it runs at 65 degree C in CPU and ~55 degree C in 5Ghz wifi, I enabled DNSCrypt 2 on with the my-base blacklist (>170,000 domain); I powered the fan with the router USB. When putting a fan under the router, it cools the router CPU to 46 degree C and 5Ghz wifi to 36 degree C. I wonder if it the fan hurt the router in the long term, or I just leave the router alone without a fan?

Your temp without fan is way under the Tmax by about 10-15 degrees for the CPU and 35 for the 5 GHz chip. Compared to ASUS routers (well, most of them but not all) the R7800 runs much cooler. However, it can't hurt to turn on the fan when it gets hot inside during summer. Otherwise, you don't need it. I also have a fan (notebook cooler) under my R7800 that I only turn on during hot days in the summer. The only downside is that if you leave it on all the time, it will blow dust in and eventually, if the router lasts long and is still in use, you'll have to open it up and clean it

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, I think I will turn it off during winter. I am afraid to open the router and clean it up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!