What's new

Setting up a VPN on Netgear DGN3700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BubbleTrouble

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I'm new to this forum and also a networking novice. I hope you can help me with this predicament.

My router is a Netgear DGN3700v2 which is my default gateway out to the internet. it also acts as my wireless router serving 3 PCs, laptop and a Asus Nexus android tablet.When i'm away from home I often want to be able to access my files on my PCs so at the moment have been tried the following methods:

1.teamviewer which allows me to take control of my PCs using my tablet PC. This does seem quite cumbersome and to be honest I just need to access files rather than actually take control of the PC. It seems a bit overkill to be honest.

2. Dropbox. I tried this but then realized I'd rather not trust certain information in the cloud as I don't know who administers these networks and who has access to it. I will not use file sharing sites as i'm paranoid.

3.I connected up my USB hard drive to my netgear router and then enabled something called "readyshare" on it. I gave it a port number (choosing one higher than 1024) and pointed it to my dynamic dns name. I can now access my files without my PC being turned on. Great I thought! but then realized that ftp access is not secure.There was an option for "HTTPS" but although this lets me access the portable HD it looks kinda insecure because it does not ask for a password and firefox needs it to be added as an exception as cannot verify if it is secure. I do not know if this method can somehow be "beefed" up security wise?

4. A colleague at work suggested I buy a NAS box from synology but due to the fact I'm moving house soon i'm leaving this idea for now although I will consider it later funds permitting.

This left me with another option, a VPN. Is it feasible to setup a VPN on my router so that I am able to access my local network securely from anywhere? I would very likely being using another PC (not necessarily my own one.For example very likely a work PC) or my Asus nexus tablet. If someone could give me advice on this in a sort of dummies guide approach that would be very helpful.

I did spend a lot of time reading the netgear manual (it mentioned a client gateway VPN) and looking on other sites,speaking to people but so far i've drawn a blank. The netgear manual was in my opinion very little help as it throws around a lot of acronyms but doesn't explain or even mention what type of VPN is supported.

Thanks