What's new

Setting up Transmission through Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, Transmission won't install its files in /opt/etc . I've installed joe, nano, fake-hwclock, and dnscrypt-proxy packages just fine but files like
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission don't exist. The only transmission related thing I can find on my flash drive via FTP is the folder /opt/share/transmission (and its contents). I've tried this with the flash drive formatted as ext2, and ext3. No errors show up during installation. Nothing shows up in the system log accessed by the WebUI. I installed entware by using the "entware-setup.sh" script. I installed transmission with these instructions: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installing-Transmission-through-Entware but had to stop due to not having those files. Anybody know anything about this?
I've got the same issue as Whateverguy... Any solution yet?
Transmission daemon is not installed automatically anymore with transmission-web on entware because you can choose between openssl & polarssl (don't ask me the difference because I have no ideea). I updated guides https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installing-Transmission-through-Entware and https://www.hqt.ro/transmission-on-asuswrt-routers-through-entware/
Code:
opkg install transmission-web transmission-daemon-openssl
or
Code:
opkg install transmission-web transmission-daemon-polarssl

Last edited:
Ok, now I was able to get it working. Thanks.
By the way, I've got two routers, the main one connected to my ISP modem and the other one bridged with USB3 hdd. I installed transmission on this last one, but I think I must enable firewall on the main one and do a port forwarding, am I right?

Correct
Ok, now I was able to get it working. Thanks.
By the way, I've got two routers, the main one connected to my ISP modem and the other one bridged with USB3 hdd. I installed transmission on this last one, but I think I must enable firewall on the main one and do a port forwarding, am I right?

does anyone here use a usb2.0 flash drive without having torrent stopped when router free ram reaches 49mb . i'm starting to think i may need a hdd .

does anyone here use a usb2.0 flash drive without having torrent stopped when router free ram reaches 49mb . i'm starting to think i may need a hdd .
Hi,

If you run torrenting (Transmission) on your thiny router CPU with his small memory size, you should:
a) have a swap file configured!
b) Use the latest firmware version to avoid issues which are already solved!
c) Check out my memory issues and solution here.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
I have got this working but it uses 100% of CPU on my RT-AC3200 so I thought I would use my NAS instead.
I tried to port forward port 51413 to the NAS but the port shows as closed on the private torrent tracker so how do I modify the

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT

to direct all traffic on that port to a certain internal IP like 10.0.0.104? I am not an expert in iptables, or an expert in much really and would be grateful if someone could give me some pointers. Thanks.

A few notes I have observed by myself.
I am using 1 Tb HDD on USB3.0 port with two primary partitions: NTFS and 5 Gb ext3 at the end of the disk.
Also I have a USB Hub connected on USB2.o port with connected 1 Gb memory stick and Epson printer.
Printer works as EZPrint with a modification to avoid loosing printer after switching on/off. USB Stick works as a swap - it includes 512 swap file built as stated here. Entware is installed at ext3 partition of HDD.
So here is the settings of Transmission I am using:
{
"alt-speed-down": 1024,
"alt-speed-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-begin": 540,
"alt-speed-time-day": 127,
"alt-speed-time-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-end": 1020,
"alt-speed-up": 5,
"bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",
"bind-address-ipv6": "::",
"blocklist-enabled": true,
"blocklist-url": "http://list.iblocklist.com/?list=bt_level1",
"cache-size-mb": 2,
"dht-enabled": true,
"download-dir": "/tmp/mnt/VERBATIM_HD/Download2/Complete",
"download-queue-enabled": true,
"download-queue-size": 5,
"encryption": 1,
"idle-seeding-limit": 30,
"idle-seeding-limit-enabled": true,
"incomplete-dir": "/tmp/mnt/VERBATIM_HD/Download2/InComplete",
"incomplete-dir-enabled": true,
"lazy-bitfield-enabled": true,
"lpd-enabled": true,
"message-level": 1,
"peer-congestion-algorithm": "",
"peer-id-ttl-hours": 6,
"peer-limit-global": 40,
"peer-limit-per-torrent": 8,
"peer-port": 51413,
"peer-port-random-high": 65535,
"peer-port-random-low": 49152,
"peer-port-random-on-start": false,
"peer-socket-tos": "lowcost",
"pex-enabled": true,
"port-forwarding-enabled": false,
"preallocation": 1,
"prefetch-enabled": false,
"queue-stalled-enabled": true,
"queue-stalled-minutes": 30,
"ratio-limit": 0,
"ratio-limit-enabled": true,
"rename-partial-files": true,
"rpc-authentication-required": true,
"rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
"rpc-enabled": true,
"rpc-password": "hashed",
"rpc-port": 9091,
"rpc-url": "/transmission/",
"rpc-username": "gjf",
"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": false,
"scrape-paused-torrents-enabled": true,
"script-torrent-added-enabled": false,
"script-torrent-added-filename": "",
"script-torrent-done-enabled": false,
"script-torrent-done-filename": "",
"seed-queue-enabled": false,
"seed-queue-size": 10,
"speed-limit-down": 2048,
"speed-limit-down-enabled": false,
"speed-limit-up": 100,
"speed-limit-up-enabled": false,
"start-added-torrents": true,
"trash-original-torrent-files": true,
"umask": 18,
"upload-slots-per-torrent": 14,
"utp-enabled": true,
"watch-dir": "/tmp/mnt/VERBATIM_HD/Download2/Watch",
"watch-dir-enabled": true
}
What is interesting - the web interface does not allow to change some parameters, for instance: "ratio-limit", "ratio-limit-enabled", "idle-seeding-limit", "alt-speed-down" and "alt-speed-down" - the only way is to stop the daemon, manually edit settings.json and start the daemon again.

As for spinning down issues - I did not observe any problems with webUI caused by it. Yes, previously Download Master caused a continuous spin up - spin down, so I have to disable it once downloads were finished using router UI, but as for noww looks like everything works - but I need more time for observation (especially in night when no activities in network).

Just to let everybody know - spin down function is not affected by active Transmission from Entware.
Jan 13 22:47:42 sd-idle-2.6[8814]: spinning up /dev/sdb after 29 mins
Jan 13 22:52:42 sd-idle-2.6[8814]: spinning down /dev/sdb after 5 mins
Jan 13 23:00:06 miniupnpd[16628]: remove port mapping 33125 TCP because it has expired
Jan 13 23:00:06 miniupnpd[16628]: remove port mapping 33125 UDP because it has expired
Jan 13 23:00:08 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
Jan 14 10:18:12 sd-idle-2.6[8814]: spinning up /dev/sdb after 11 hours 25 mins 30 secs
Jan 14 10:23:42 sd-idle-2.6[8814]: spinning down /dev/sdb after 5 mins 30 secs
Jan 14 13:59:43 sd-idle-2.6[8814]: spinning up /dev/sdb after 3 hours 36 mins 1 secs
Jan 14 14:01:36 kernel: usb 2-2.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
Jan 14 14:01:36 kernel: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0850
Jan 14 14:01:36 kernel: scsi3 : usb-storage 2-2.1:1.2
Jan 14 14:01:37 kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access EPSON Stylus Storage 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Jan 14 14:01:37 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
Jan 14 14:01:37 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
Jan 14 14:04:43 sd-idle-2.6[8814]: spinning down /dev/sdb after 5 mins
Also I don't see any problems for Transmission caused by spinning down. If somebody is interested in what is my HDD - I can let you know.
But other questions are still active.

Hm, after some time sending e-mail notifications when torrent is downloaded becomes broken. No idea why. Transmission settings remain the same, tmail.sh script is OK and works well when manually started. Restarting Transmission service does not help.

Any idea?

Last edited:
@TeHashX
@RMerlin
I've Dual stack, native ipv6 with fall back on ipv4 , and port always shows closed in transmission web ui, though switching my network to ipv4 only returns it back to normal which is open, port is open in firewall as instructed, by the way , I'm using skynet + diversion + unbound dns utility

Checking ipv4 ip with port 51413 and it already showed open, changing rpc bind address to ipv6 didn't help, always revert back to 0.0.0.0 :( though always changed it after stopping the daemon , and then starting it, and it reverts back

I tried to see for solution around everywhere, may be problem with my weak stuff understanding

Any straight forward solution to this problem??o_O

Last edited:
@TeHashX
@RMerlin
I've Dual stack, native ipv6 with fall back on ipv4 , and port always shows closed in transmission web ui, though switching my network to ipv4 only returns it back to normal which is open, port is open in firewall as instructed, by the way , I'm using skynet + diversion + unbound dns utility

Checking ipv4 ip with port 51413 and it already showed open, changing rpc bind address to ipv6 didn't help, always revert back to 0.0.0.0 :( though always changed it after stopping the daemon , and then starting it, and it reverts back

I tried to see for solution around everywhere, may be problem with my weak stuff understanding

I think I managed to get it to work on mine... I will take a look when I am done with my night shift at ye'ol job.

@TeHashX
@RMerlin

Here is a peak at mine.
Screenshot_20200408-223314668 (1).jpg

Than how come your port 51413 is open in ipv6 :eek:
You must be checking port in ipv4 which is open for me as well

I think we need some real solution for ipv6 preferred networks
You need to list is as

Code:
"rpc-bind-address": "::",
For ipv6 and it will equivocally listen on 0.0.0.0 as well for ipv4 for dual stack. If it doesn't then there is a potential issue in the transmission entware binary.

Make sure you completely stop transmission before adding the line to the .conf file ,then start transmission.

You need to list is as

Code:
"rpc-bind-address": "::",
For ipv6 and it will equivocally listen on 0.0.0.0 as well for ipv4 for dual stack. If it doesn't then there is a potential issue in the transmission entware binary.

Make sure you completely stop transmission before adding the line to the .conf file ,then start transmission.
Unfortunately it reverts back to 0.0.0.0, did a clean install and tried but same outcome :(

Unfortunately it reverts back to 0.0.0.0, did a clean install and tried but same outcome :(
do you have proper fire wall rules setup for the ipv6? i normally don't recommend turning off ipv6 firewall, but if you wish to test this, turn it off then make the appropriate changes to see if it turns back to 0.0.0.0. It may be reverting back to 0.0.0.0 because that is all the firewall is allowing through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!