What's new

Share What You Know: ASUS RT-AC3200 News, Release Date, Price and Expectations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delivery Update -
The AC3200 will be delayed by about a month to market. After a long beta period we decided to tweak the hardware and a few other items. I will have an update in a couple of weeks as to a firm US release schedule at retail.

:D Any Good news yet ? plz say something like the CPU gonna be 1.4 or above :p

it's been almost a month

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 631
Bad News :(

Source / Scroll down so fast :D:

That's nothing new. They've been saying for months that they didn't expect USB performance on the AC3200 to be at the same level as the AC87U.

That's nothing new. They've been saying for months that they didn't expect USB performance on the AC3200 to be at the same level as the AC87U.

but why , :eek:

so i should understand that it will be worse than AC68U because when i tested AC87U USB , it gave me the same speed as AC68U

we are supposed to be moving foreword not backward

but why , :eek:

so i should understand that it will be worse than AC68U because when i tested AC87U USB , it gave me the same speed as AC68U

we are supposed to be moving foreword not backward

I get much better performance from the AC87 (65 MB/s, and I've seen an early alpha build that was able to break 70 MB/s) than the AC68 (50-55 MB/s), so your bottleneck was probably your disk. The 200 MHz CPU clock difference alone would make a difference.

I suspect the AC3200 will be somewhere between both. Asus always marketed the AC87 as being the flagship - the AC3200 isn't meant to replace it, but to stand between the AC68 and the AC87.

I get much better performance from the AC87 (65 MB/s, and I've seen an early alpha build that was able to break 70 MB/s) than the AC68 (50-55 MB/s), so your bottleneck was probably your disk. The 200 MHz CPU clock difference alone would make a difference.

I suspect the AC3200 will be somewhere between both. Asus always marketed the AC87 as being the flagship - the AC3200 isn't meant to replace it, but to stand between the AC68 and the AC87.

That's new to me , Always thought the AC3200 going to perform better than AC87.

Last edited:
I get much better performance from the AC87 (65 MB/s

It's (AC87) capable of more than that.

I have a 128GB USB 3.0 memory stick on it. (Silicon Power Blaze B30) Specs for the memory stick are 200mbyte/sec read. (I get the full 200mbyte/sec on a Mac Mini, so what we see below is I presume the CPU limitation.)

Don't waste your money on, say, WD Black - the CPU isn't fast enough to max it out. Just about any other hard drive out there, though, you will get close to the max rate. It will max out on VERY fast USB 3.0 sticks.

----

admin@l33tw0pr:/tmp/home/root# hdparm -t /dev/sda3

/dev/sda3:
Timing buffered disk reads: 78 MB in 3.02 seconds = 25.83 MB/sec
admin@l33tw0pr:/tmp/home/root# hdparm -t --direct /dev/sda3

/dev/sda3:
Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 396 MB in 3.01 seconds = 131.60 MB/sec
admin@l33tw0pr:/tmp/home/root#

Last edited:
What's your CPU frequency?

I have a 128GB USB 3.0 memory stick on it. (Silicon Power Blaze B30) Specs for the memory stick are 200mbyte/sec read. (I get the full 200mbyte/sec on a Mac Mini, so what we see below is I presume the CPU limitation.)

Don't waste your money on, say, WD Black - the CPU isn't fast enough to max it out. Just about any other hard drive out there, though, you will get close to the max rate. It will max out on VERY fast USB 3.0 sticks.

----

/dev/sda3:

/dev/sda3:

----

/dev/sda3:

/dev/sda3:

Note that my tests included the overhead related to Samba (smbd will load the CPU) and Network transfer (mostly sirq load). But I know that with the proper software tweaks (from Broadcom and Asus), the RT-AC87U should be able to eventually get close to 80 MB/s of network throughput once they release the new firmware based on SDK7 + Broadcom's tweaks.

Last edited:
Thats stock clock, try 1200 or 1400 you will get 10-15mb/s more.

Thats stock clock, try 1200 or 1400 you will get 10-15mb/s more.

LOL, I don't need to overclock it, it's more than suitable for my needs. And it's eventually going to go in a closet, and I'd rather not burn the place down! (It runs warm enough as it is.)

Same boat as well...only I tried the 87 and returned it. At the time the firmware was buggy and didn't see any real performance difference than my AC66. Well except the AC66 was much more stable.

well for time being i pulled trigger on the Linksys AC1900. after reading hundreds of reviews it seems that for the 5ghz drops can be prevented by switching channel off of auto. it was also $200 at local shop instead of $270. going to test out over weekend and return if i dont like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!