What's new

Should I specify the DNS Servers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mountain_man

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I have an Asus ZenWifi XT8 router and can set the DNS servers. I've never done this before. Should I specify the DNS servers to be a little safer? If so, should I just use Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or something else? Anything else I don't even know to ask?

Thanks so much!

Obtaining the DNS servers automatically from your ISP will often provide the best/fastest servers. Unless you don't trust your ISP (do you trust Google more?) or want to use a DNS server that provides extra features (like blocking adult content).

In the past I don't recall if I was using the ISP DNS or something else but, they got poisoned and wouldn't load some popular sites. Currently i split my servers between different companies and change them from time to time. For awhile I was running .8.8.8.8 / 1.1.1.1 and right now I'm running my VPN provider's DNS and it seems fine. There's a ton of different options depending on what you want to be able to resolve.

Hi All,

I have an Asus ZenWifi XT8 router and can set the DNS servers. I've never done this before. Should I specify the DNS servers to be a little safer? If so, should I just use Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or something else? Anything else I don't even know to ask?

Thanks so much!

If you want to set DNS other than your ISP, this provider's KB lists a lot of free/public options... DNS, encrypted DNS (DoT), DNS with security filtering, DNS with content filtering, etc.

If you decide to try one... go to the provider's website to review their information and settings required since the KB linked above may not be up-to-date. Some provider sites are less clear than others, so expect to wade through them.

I'm currently using CloudFlare encrypted DNS (DoT) with security filtering: 1.1.1.2 1.0.0.2 security.cloudflare-dns.com... another layer in the practice of safe computing. Configuration looks like this:
1666364859372.png

Using DoT can interfere with some IoT setup, like for Wyze cams, so temporarily disable DoT to complete such setup.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Sounds like I might be fine with comcast dns instead of manually setting it up. There wasn't anything specific I was trying to accomplish. Just that I had read something about how phishing / hackers can possibly intercept the traffic request and then send you to a different site that looks like the real one.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I might be fine with comcast dns instead of manually setting it up. There wasn't anything specific I was trying to accomplish. Just that I had read something about how phishing / hackers can possibly intercept the traffic request and then send you to a different site that looks like the real one.

DNS with security filtering can help keep users off malicious websites.

OE

Hi All,

Thanks so much!

It won't be safer perhaps - but CDN based DNS resolvers like Google Public DNS or Cloudflare can get end points that are more efficient...

OpenDNS, and others, offer curated services to perhaps better security against sites that offer content (adult for example), but these are curated - malware can be blocked once reported and they can blacklist those addresses..

DNS with security filtering can help keep users off malicious websites.

Yes - and choosing a third party DNS can keep the ISP from snooping on your browsing habits...

(T-Mobile - looking at you for TMHI - no DNSSEC support even for IPv4 or IPv6)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!