What's new

Skynet Skynet - Router Firewall & Security Enhancements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

By not ideal I was implying that displaying old information and having no ability to interact somewhat defeats the purpose of WebUI integration. Offering anything less then what the menu currently does functionality wise is a step backwards imo.
It's trivial to trigger off a command from the UI, FYI
Displaying the stats as graphs would be a good step forward. You wouldn't get full menu control, but visualising data is always good

Skynet is the best in it's class, but I was plagued with "no internet connectivity" issues. Tried many things but this seems to have solved it:
cru a restart_firewall "7 */3 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall restart"
Restarts Skynet every 3 hours at 7 min past the hour. Add that line to the system_startup file as well to recover from reboots. Working great now.

Skynet is the best in it's class, but I was plagued with "no internet connectivity" issues. Tried many things but this seems to have solved it:
Restarts Skynet every 3 hours at 7 min past the hour. Add that line to the system_startup file as well to recover from reboots. Working great now.
That seems like overkill to interrupt your connectivity every 3 hours. Why do you think this works, meaning how did you reach the conclusion this was needed every 3 hours? What was happening in the system log when you would lose connectivity?

Are you configured with a swap file per the installation instructions?

There should be a more reasonable solution to the problem, hopefully.

The connectivity error only occurs when your router fails multiple times to ping goolge, github then snbforums.

Code:
Check_Connection () {
        livecheck="0"
        while [ "$livecheck" != "4" ]; do
            if ping -q -w3 -c1 google.com >/dev/null 2>&1; then
                break
            else
                if ping -q -w3 -c1 github.com >/dev/null 2>&1; then
                    break
                else
                    if ping -q -w3 -c1 snbforums.com >/dev/null 2>&1; then
                        break
                    else
                        livecheck=$((livecheck+1))
                        if [ "$livecheck" != "4" ]; then
                            echo "[*] Internet Connectivity Error"
                            sleep 10
                        else
                            return "1"
                        fi
                    fi
                fi
            fi
        done
}

There is no science behind every 3 hours (I was thinking every hour at first). Three hours is the first thing I tried and it's working. As previously mentioned, I have a fairly noisy ISP that just doesn't care and their solution for everything is a $60 truck roll and a tech that shrugs his shoulders. Anyway your check connection script is actually happening quit quickly (no delays) and it certainly does seem that my connection is poor enough that it often hits the "Internet Connectivity Error" jackpot.

Hi,
I'm new to Skynet. Thanks for the great script!

I am having trouble with the IOT blocking feature. I added my security cam NVR and VOIP ATA IPs to the ban list and allowed both TCP and UDP ports 465 for outgoing NVR emails and 5060 for SIP traffic. After doing this my NVR could not send email alerts and I got an offline error from my VOIP provider. What am I doing wrong?

Possible feature upgrade: would it be possible to add URLs to the unban list? Also it would be nice to have a selective list of IOT devices to unban specific ports or URLs instead of globally applied to
all IOT devices. Additionally it would be great to have a list of exactly which ports are un-banned on the 'List Blocked Devices' option.

Again, thanks for the great script!!

I am having trouble with the IOT blocking feature. I added my security cam NVR and VOIP ATA IPs to the ban list and allowed both TCP and UDP ports 465 for outgoing NVR emails and 5060 for SIP traffic. After doing this my NVR could not send email alerts and I got an offline error from my VOIP provider. What am I doing wrong?

Assuming debug mode is enabled, Skynet will log any packet it drops. Use these logs to see what ports need to be unblocked.

Possible feature upgrade: would it be possible to add URLs to the unban list?

This is already the case

Code:
( sh /jffs/scripts/firewall unban domain google.com ) This Unbans the URL Specified

Assuming debug mode is enabled, Skynet will log any packet it drops. Use these logs to see what ports need to be unblocked.

This is already the case

Code:
( sh /jffs/scripts/firewall unban domain google.com ) This Unbans the URL Specified

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, Debug is enabled and when I select: Debug Options/Show Debug Entries as They Appear/All; I get no blocked outbound entries when I try to send test email from NVR yet test email fails to be sent..

I added the URL to whitelist: smtp.gmail.com to allow the NVR to send email from my Gmail acct but still no email alerts.

Am I missing something obvious? Like I said before, I'm pretty new to this...

Hi guys,

Need some help. I want to log all accepted connections with using Skynet and latest Merlin firmware 384.13 . Firewall logged packets type is set to BOTH. Accepted connections are NOT logged in syslog. Tried this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/firewall-accepted-packets-not-being-logged.36711/ with no luck and also https://www.snbforums.com/threads/block-or-redirect-logged-packets-type-log-entries.39703/
I see only messages from skynet dropped connections.

below output from

iptables -nvL

Code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:1194
    0     0 logdrop    icmp --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            icmptype 8
 140K  170M logaccept  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
   13   969 logdrop    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state INVALID
 1528  269K PTCSRVWAN  all  --  !br0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
 1996  316K PTCSRVLAN  all  --  br0    *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
 1996  316K ACCEPT     all  --  br0    *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  pptp+  *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW
 1439  262K ACCEPT     all  --  lo     *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW
   89  6844 OVPN       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW
    0     0 logaccept  udp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp spt:67 dpt:68
    0     0 INPUT_ICMP  icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 logaccept  tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:1723
    0     0 logaccept  47   --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
   89  6844 logdrop    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  br0    eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            match-set Skynet-IOT src udp dpt:123
    0     0 LOG        all  --  br0    !tun2+  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            match-set Skynet-IOT src LOG flags 7 level 4 prefix "[BLOCKED - IOT] "
    0     0 DROP       all  --  br0    !tun2+  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            match-set Skynet-IOT src
 1273 66060 TCPMSS     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcpflags: 0x06/0x02 TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
 154K  162M logaccept  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  pptp+  *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 other2wan  all  --  !br0   eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 logaccept  all  --  br0    br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
   40  2100 logdrop    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state INVALID
 2192  473K NSFW       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
 2192  473K ACCEPT     all  --  br0    *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 logaccept  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ctstate DNAT
    0     0 OVPN       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW
    0     0 logdrop    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 25333 packets, 17M bytes)

Chain ACCESS_RESTRICTION (0 references)

Chain DNSFILTER_DOT (0 references)

Chain FUPNP (0 references)

Chain INPUT_ICMP (1 references)
    0     0 RETURN     icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            icmptype 8
    0     0 RETURN     icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            icmptype 13
    0     0 logaccept  icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain NSFW (1 references)

Chain OVPN (2 references)
    0     0 DROP       all  --  tun11  *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  tap21  *       0.0.0.0/0            192.168.2.0/24

Chain PControls (0 references)
    0     0 logaccept  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain PTCSRVLAN (1 references)

Chain PTCSRVWAN (1 references)

Chain SECURITY (0 references)
    0     0 RETURN     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcpflags: 0x17/0x02 limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
    0     0 logdrop    tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcpflags: 0x17/0x02
    0     0 RETURN     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcpflags: 0x17/0x04 limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
    0     0 logdrop    tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcpflags: 0x17/0x04
    0     0 RETURN     icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            icmptype 8 limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
    0     0 logdrop    icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            icmptype 8
    0     0 RETURN     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain default_block (0 references)

Chain logaccept (9 references)
    0     0 LOG        all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW LOG flags 7 level 4 prefix "ACCEPT "
 295K  332M ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain logdrop (9 references)
  142  9913 DROP       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain other2wan (1 references)
    0     0 RETURN     all  --  tun+   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 logdrop    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

any help is appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, Debug is enabled and when I select: Debug Options/Show Debug Entries as They Appear/All; I get no blocked outbound entries when I try to send test email from NVR yet test email fails to be sent..

I added the URL to whitelist: smtp.gmail.com to allow the NVR to send email from my Gmail acct but still no email alerts.

Am I missing something obvious? Like I said before, I'm pretty new to this...

With debug mode enabled, Skynet logs every connection it blocks. There is no exception to this rule. So if nothing is being logged, its not Skynet causing the issue.

Need some help. I want to log all accepted connections with using Skynet and latest Merlin firmware 384.13 . Firewall logged packets type is set to BOTH. Accepted connections are NOT logged in syslog.

Works perfectly on my end, make sure you haven't messed with the settings "Default message log level" and "Log only messages more urgent than" in the WebUI.

Adamm,

Default message log level = debug
Log only messages more urgent than = all

is that right?

same symptoms on AC87U and AC88U ...

Last edited:
Adamm,

Default message log level = debug
Log only messages more urgent than = all

is that right?

same symptoms on AC87U and AC88U ...

No, the default settings are "notice" and "debug"

Changed to defaults, restarted router, but with no luck. only see "kernel: [BLOCKED - INBOUND] and [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND]" in syslog. Don`t know where is the problem. :/

Last edited:
Hmmm well, tried to uninstall skynet, restarted router and set Firewall logged packets type is set to ACCEPTED and .... nothing :) so not a problem of skynet, thanks for your help Adamm. Will try to post main forum.

Hmmm well, tried to uninstall skynet, restarted router and set Firewall logged packets type is set to ACCEPTED and .... nothing :) so not a problem of skynet, thanks for your help Adamm. Will try to post main forum.
What traffic are you allowing in through your firewall that needs logging? I don't think you can log outgoing in that way.

With debug mode enabled, Skynet logs every connection it blocks. There is no exception to this rule. So if nothing is being logged, its not Skynet causing the issue.
Sorry, I jumped the gun. Yes I see the blocked messages coming in. See below.

Aug 2 16:30:44 RT-AC86U-D8E0 kernel: [BLOCKED - IOT] IN=br0 OUT=eth0 MAC=... SRC=192.168.. DST=8.8.8.8 LEN=59 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=23769 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=35089 DPT=53 LEN=39
Aug 2 16:30:54 RT-AC86U-D8E0 kernel: [BLOCKED - IOT] IN=br0 OUT=eth0 MAC=... SRC=192.168.. DST=8.8.4.4 LEN=59 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=26269 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=37258 DPT=53 LEN=39

However it appears to be blocking Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) and port UDP 53. This seems odd because I specifically added those IPs and ports 53 to the Unban list...

Perhaps the Unban list is getting overwritten. Is there any way to list the ports in the IOT Unban list?

Perhaps the Unban list is getting overwritten. Is there any way to list the ports in the IOT Unban list?
Check the skynet.cfg file in the skynet directory on your usb. Or look at the iptables -S output.
Then make sure you enabled the udp protocol and not just tcp.

Check the skynet.cfg file in the skynet directory on your usb. Or look at the iptables -S output.
Then make sure you enabled the udp protocol and not just tcp.

Thanks. Ah yes it appears the Unban list was overwritten by my latest entry (ports 5010 & 5060). So you have to retype all ports each time you update the list?

However that doesn't explain why Google DNS was blocked when I put it in the whitelist..??

################################################
## Generated By Skynet - Do Not Manually Edit ##
## Aug 02 17:00:10 ##

## Installer ##
model="RT-AC86U"
localver="v6.8.5"
autoupdate="enabled"
banmalwareupdate="daily"
forcebanmalwareupdate=""
debugmode="enabled"
filtertraffic="all"
swaplocation="/tmp/mnt/ASUS-1/myswap.swp"
swappartition=""

## Counters / Lists ##
blacklist1count="154957"
blacklist2count="1657"
customlisturl=""
customlist2url=""
countrylist=""
excludelists=""

## Settings ##
unbanprivateip="enabled"
loginvalid="disabled"
banaiprotect="enabled"
securemode="enabled"
extendedstats="enabled"
fastswitch="disabled"
syslogloc="/opt/var/log/skynet-0.log"
syslog1loc="/tmp/syslog.log-1"
iotblocked="enabled"
iotports="5010,5060"
iotproto="all"
lookupcountry="enabled"

Thanks. Ah yes it appears the Unban list was overwritten by my latest entry (ports 5010 & 5060). So you have to retype all ports each time you update the list?

However that doesn't explain why Google DNS was blocked when I put it in the whitelist..??

## Generated By Skynet - Do Not Manually Edit ##
## Aug 02 17:00:10 ##

## Installer ##
model="RT-AC86U"
localver="v6.8.5"
autoupdate="enabled"
banmalwareupdate="daily"
forcebanmalwareupdate=""
debugmode="enabled"
filtertraffic="all"
swaplocation="/tmp/mnt/ASUS-1/myswap.swp"
swappartition=""

## Counters / Lists ##
blacklist1count="154957"
blacklist2count="1657"
customlisturl=""
customlist2url=""
countrylist=""
excludelists=""

## Settings ##
unbanprivateip="enabled"
loginvalid="disabled"
banaiprotect="enabled"
securemode="enabled"
extendedstats="enabled"
fastswitch="disabled"
syslogloc="/opt/var/log/skynet-0.log"
syslog1loc="/tmp/syslog.log-1"
iotblocked="enabled"
iotports="5010,5060"
iotproto="all"
lookupcountry="enabled"

IOT unbans apply to source IP or destination ports, different from regular skynet blocks. At least that’s how I read it.

So you can only unblock IOT devices to access a series of ports, not a specific IP.

Last edited: