What's new

Skynet Skynet - Simple way to ban all countries?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK...I checked the config file after reapplying the countries I wanted blocked and it now says multiple countries instead of each individual country. So, I am assuming it took all my countries.
I would have thought that it would have just displayed "multiple countries" on the main skynet display. How would it keep track of what countries are being blocked if it states this in the config file?

Feature request for @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow & @Adamm ... it would be a nice feature to have an option to block all countries, except for these-type-of-list. Then you would just notate the whitelisted countries instead of having to find country codes for the dozens of countries you want to block. :)

I shall reflect upon this request along with life's other mysterious at the "tree of woe"(my job) tonight.

I would have thought that it would have just displayed "multiple countries" on the main skynet display. How would it keep track of what countries are being blocked if it states this in the config file?
It appears it is added to the iplist, mine grows significantly when I get to „Multiple“.

Don’t hold your breath for this to happen… :)
I have been looking into adding ipv6 support to skynet. The biggest challenge is there variance in iptables between different generations of routers. This means the support has to be done differently between the different models. The biggest question is, would it really be necessary over ipv6. Users generally don't open ports over ipv6 so the firewall should be catching most the unrelated inbound anyways, so the only advantage might be to blocking outbound connections to known bad destinations.

It appears it is added to the iplist, mine grows significantly when I get to „Multiple“.
It seems like a strange way to keep track of countries that way. Is there some sort of a 255 char string length limitation we're dealing with here I wonder?

Instead of keeping track of it like:

CountryList="cn ch ir dk" etc...

Why not just a separate file with entries like

cn
ch
ir
dk
... etc

Would make it a snap to add and remove any, and keep track of them, instead of dumping a big list in the ipset file?

Last edited:
I shall reflect upon this request along with life's other mysterious at the "tree of woe"(my job) tonight.
I hope the "tree of woe" bears you many fruits of innovative ideas, and may all your life's mysteries be answered this fine fortnight!

@rwheaton1 ... You can look at this file to see what countries Skynet is blocking...

/tmp/mnt/<drive name>/skynet/skynet.cfg

Feature request for @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow & @Adamm ... it would be a nice feature to have an option to block all countries, except for these-type-of-list. Then you would just notate the whitelisted countries instead of having to find country codes for the dozens of countries you want to block. :)
I tried also to block some countries, but it felt like there was a limit to what Skynet could block.

Now as I try to check which countries end up in the banlist, im getting this:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX56U 388.2_2 Sun May 7 16:35:03 UTC 2023
XXX@RT-AX56U:/tmp/home/root# /tmp/mnt/XXX/skynet/skynet.cfg
-sh: /tmp/mnt/XXX/skynet/skynet.cfg: Permission denied
XXX@RT-AX56U:/tmp/home/root#

How come I get permission denied if I am logged in as admin to router with SSH?

I tried also to block some countries, but it felt like there was a limit to what Skynet could block.

Now as I try to check which countries end up in the banlist, im getting this:

How come I get permission denied if I am logged in as admin to router with SSH?
To see the content of the file use:
Code:
cat /tmp/mnt/XXX/skynet/skynet.cfg

To see the content of the file use:
Code:
cat /tmp/mnt/XXX/skynet/skynet.cfg
Thank you it worked, but oh well it is only showing as Multiple Countries in the cfg file also. Really would like to know what countries end up in the banlist.

I just save a text file with this command in it... when I need to redo my router (or Skynet), I just run this command. Just keep this one up-to-date. How long is YOUR country list... ;)

Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall ban country "ru cn kp ir iq sa ae pk af az ba bg hr cu cz eg ee ge va hu id in il kz kw kg lv md om qa ro rs sk si sy tr ua uz"

BTW... F-4 Phantoms are probably one of my favorite fighter jets. Nice choice!

Hi All,

Im now using Skynet also on my Asus GTAX11000. I saw tis sh line.. what is different then block the countries in Skynet UI? There is an option 2 > 4 to block countries. Will this safe them even when I restart my Asus or Skynet itself or is that the reason you use the SH line?

Hi All,

Im now using Skynet also on my Asus GTAX11000. I saw tis sh line.. what is different then block the countries in Skynet UI? There is an option 2 > 4 to block countries. Will this safe them even when I restart my Asus or Skynet itself or is that the reason you use the SH line?

Doing it on screen has limitations and can only fit so many countries. This command does the same thing and allows you to fit more countries.

Hi All,

I use that because I do a security policy of blocking most countries and if I need to whitelist a webaddress or IP for one of my devices...then I put that in...I have my system locked down as much as possible.

I have setup Skynet. Work great but I see the following line and that's not correct I think:

Code:
194.1.147.xx    (GB) | https://otx.alienvault.com/indicator/ip/194.1.147.xx    | Country: ru kp ir iq pk af az bg cu ee id in

The IP seems from the UK:

Code:
https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup

REGION: England
CITY: Manchester
ISP: K Media Tech Ltd.

But it was blocked because of Country.
My country blocklist:

Code:
Banned Countries; ru kp ir iq pk af az bg cu ee id in kz kg om qa ro sk sy tr ua uz