What's new

Skynet Skynet v7.2.8 No Longer Working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Remember The Fallen

New Around Here
I'm running the latest version of firmware 386.5_2 on my Asus RT-AX86U router. Diversion 4.2.2, Skynet 7.2.8 and several other Entware scripts are also installed.

Skynet suddenly stopped working yesterday. When I try to open the Skynet script from the main AMTM menu it displays the following text 11 times:

USB NOT FOUND - SLEEPING FOR 10 SECONDS

The script then displays a text stating that the install location is incorrect and needs to be changed immediately with the following suggestion sh /jffs/scripts/firewall install

I do that and follow the on screen prompts. The scripts then displays a message indicating that it is restarting the service to complete the operation and then says DONE.

After rebooting my router I SSH back into the device and start the AMTM menu. I select option 2 to open Skynet and the entire process repeats itself.

Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated!

The USB drive is fine. Since I can't access the full Skynet menu, I can't restart it or uninstall/re-install the script. I did an update for Diversion and got this output in terminal......

refreshing Skynet to whitelist domains in shared-Diversion-whitelist

Skynet lockfile detected
Waiting for Skynet to finish task...
Error: Unable to refresh Skynet to whitelist domains in shared-Diversion-wh.
Error: Restart Skynet manually to immediately include the new whitelisted d.
including /jffs/addons/shared-whitelists/shared-Skynet-whitelist in Diversin
including /jffs/addons/shared-whitelists/shared-Skynet2-whitelist in Diversn

it seems that the lockfile in Skynet is stuck or corrupted but I'm not sure. Now what? Like I said I can't access the full menu of Skynet so I can't manually update or restart the script

The USB drive is not fine. This is how drives fail on our routers.

Make sure the skynetloc path in /jffs/scripts/firewall-start is valid. Or remove the Skynet line from that file and reinstall.

dave14305, thanks so much for the tip but I couldn't telnet into my router to check the jffs file. I also didn't have the NVAM Restore Utility installed at the time. Thinking my USB drive had completely failed I went out and purchased a brand new one but after starting it I was still getting the same errors as before. to resolve and fix the issue I was having I reset my router to factory default and reinstalled the Entware packages. Somehow JFFS got corrupted and stuck in the router's memory. Not really sure how or when that happened...maybe during a firmware update???

Do I need to manually save the settings configuration or take out the USB stick whenever I do a firmware upgrade?

dave14305, thanks so much for the tip but I couldn't telnet into my router to check the jffs file. I also didn't have the NVAM Restore Utility installed at the time. Thinking my USB drive had completely failed I went out and purchased a brand new one but after starting it I was still getting the same errors as before. to resolve and fix the issue I was having I reset my router to factory default and reinstalled the Entware packages. Somehow JFFS got corrupted and stuck in the router's memory. Not really sure how or when that happened...maybe during a firmware update???

Do I need to manually save the settings configuration or take out the USB stick whenever I do a firmware upgrade?

See my #4 post here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac1900p-bad-eraseblock.78309/

People have been having odd problems on 386.5_2.

It's good to wipe the JFFS and start fresh. I normally do not Unmount the USB prior to flashing; the AX86 has lots of free memory, YMMV.

See my #4 post here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac1900p-bad-eraseblock.78309/

People have been having odd problems on 386.5_2.

It's good to wipe the JFFS and start fresh. I normally do not Unmount the USB prior to flashing; the AX86 has lots of free memory, YMMV.
I recommend unmounting for the sheer fact an active process working in conjunction with the USB could prevent the USB from properly unmounting during a firmware flash. (seen it happen). This is usually a primary culprit to corruption on usb storage.

I recommend unmounting for the sheer fact an active process working in conjunction with the USB could prevent the USB from properly unmounting during a firmware flash. (seen it happen). This is usually a primary culprit to corruption on usb storage.
Thanks.
Noted:
:) With regards to my recent issue (AX86) I had already been on the new firmware since release. I also run "dcl" and peak at it to see how often it repairs itself (Journaling) and clear the log periodically. My logs show proper USB shutdown but I don't doubt that issues creep up/in. I have been stable for months with dirty flashes. Yesterday I saw 2 bad block areas on a AX58 after the block areas were remapped, after flashing the 2nd AX58 to 386.5_2.

I've been waiting for other units to "act up" but so far no issues yet with boot-looping the modem.

I also make use of the reboot scheduler 3 times a week on main unit.

I have also in the last month+ switched to a 5GB Swap File, as an experiment on the AX units. Kept the 2GB on AC68 due to lower stock memory. I had tried one AX58 on 10GB Swap but rolled it back to 5GB. (It ran fine but was overkill and more time consuming to implement and a potential problem for a unit with lower stock memory)
My unscientific test results: a snappier feel. Wondering if others have tried it? Any thoughts?