What's new

Slow Speeds on Cisco WAP581

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tilhasbb

Regular Contributor
I purchased 4 Cisco WAP581 to be used in a new house in 2 months (ethernet backhaul pre-wired in ceilings) I got them earlier so I can test everything before having to drill holes for these massive routers in the ceiling.

So I'm testing one now and I'm very disapointed in the speed vs the AT&T BGW210, specially the upload speed. If I can't solve it then I'll look for something else.

I upgraded the firmware to 1.0.3.1 and I'm testing the speed with an HP Zbook with Intel AC 8265, Macbook Pro Retina 2012 802.11n, Macbook Pro 2019, iPhone Xs, iPhone 8 Plus.
I have also made an excel sheet testing every single Channel on 5Ghz. I turned off the other router's wifi and all other WIFI devices. Seperated the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on Wifi and only tested the 5Ghz.

Internet is 1Gig with AT&T. I'm testing internet on AT&T's speed test and transfering files to an ethernet wired harddrive connected directly to the AT&T BGW210 modem.

Below are tests using the fastest device (ended up iPhone Xs on AT&T's Speed test website), after finding the best channel (64).
WAP581 vs BGW210
Download: 380Mbps on WAP581 vs 505Mbps on BGW210
Upload: 240Mbps on WAP581 vs 404Mpbs on BGW210

I have also tested with the devices in multiple locations and different router orientation. Yes I even had the modem sitting on top of the WAP581... lol

Any ideas? Is there a setting on the WAP581 or is this normal ?

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you

I wouldn't be testing with a handheld device like an iPhone. Use a computer with multiple browsers to test with.

What does a testing site like fast.com show?

Channel 64 means you're either running in 160MHz width mode and/or are in Radar DFS channel territory. This may be problematic?

When you tested each channel, did you reboot the network after each change and tested afterward?

I don’t have Cisco but for UniFi setup, default channel bandwidth is 40MHz on 5G band hence essentially halve the throughput to my previous router. Once I changed the channel width, I got appropriate/expected speed. I wonder if Cisco has the same default setting.

Also does the system have smart queue feature? If so, make sure to turn it off.

I have been using Chrome but I just checked with firefox and the speed was within 1%

Fast.com
390Mbps Down and 400Mbps Up
Latency Unloaded 11ms and 21ms Loaded.

Speedtest.Net
Ping 12ms 345.40 Down and 203.70 Up

Att.com/support/speedtest
418.8Mbps Down, 212.7Mbps Up
Ping 14ms, Jitter 1ms

I have been using NetSpot on my Macbook to make sure it switches channel before I login and do a speedtest. If it didn't switch then I did a reboot.
Also when I check netspot, there are only 4 routers that are visible in the 5Ghz range, 1 is my WAP581 and 3 others are at very low signal and aren't always registering, highest one being at -87. So there isn't much noise.

I didn't realize Channel 64 was in DFS.
On the router under "Wireless Band selection" my options are 20 or 20/40 or 80Mhz. It is set at 80Mhz

How do I check if it is going 40Mhz or 80Mhz bandwidth? My windows shows connection speed of 866.7 Mbps
One thing I did notice is I'm getting -52 Signal vs my other router i'm getting -35. I'm in the same room as both routers, I just had both on to do a test to make sure it is not my laptops but the routers. The Cisco WAP581 is slower on all devices...

Last edited:
Are you using POE to drive the AP or a wall wart power adapter ?
Insufficient POE power can make the AP flakey.

The router didn't come with a power source. So I'm using a Trendnet TPE-115GI/A with a 6ft CAT6 cable from the router and another 6ft CAT6 cable to router.
I just swaped it out with an EnGenius EPA5006GAT 802.3AT/AF. I'll redo the tests now and report back... that didn't go to well. The ping time on network jumped frmo 14ms to 80ms...
I just put on another Trendnet TPE-115GI/A and another set of short CAT6 cables.

You need to set 80 MHz wide channels for 5 Ghz and you need POE+ power or the unit will not run to it's potential. It will not run right off POE AF power. I also set my Windows 10 wireless setting for 5 Ghz preferred. Do not use auto selection for channels. Pick clean channels and use different channels for each AP. Do not use band steering. I use a couple of these and they work great for me. The units are designed to run ceiling mounted. I run 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz on the same SSID as it seems easier to use if I walk out in the back yard my wireless device will automatically switch to 2.4 Ghz. Are you going to run a guest network?

I have heard you can have POE problems using copper coated cable, cheap cable. I have not used any so I can not confirm or not. I use all solid copper cable.

I would recommend a small Cisco switch like the SG350-10P.

So you are transferring files to the AT&T router's hard drive. Are you running double NAT? NAT is a slow process. Is the plan to use WAP581 APs with the AT&T router? I have done that before at my daughter's house but I used older Cisco wireless APs as it was a few years ago.

When you connect the Cisco WAP581 AP you are using only 1 CAT5e cable right, not 2? CAT6 or CAT6a is fine.

Last edited:
80 MHz wide channels set on WPA581
>Do you recommend a better POE adapter? I can't realistically run a power to each WPA581, the point was for it to be Ethernet Backhaul and POE...
>Windows only has the 5Ghz SSID on autoconnect
> I set the channels on both my routers to be as far away as possible (look at the photo)
> Do not use band steering. I have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz seperated.
>Are you going to run a guest network? I haven't thought of that but yes I will. I think WPA581 has special features for another radio, I can explore that after solving the non-guest users lol

Look at the screenshot and tell me if I could select a better channel.
I didn't power off the AT&T Modem/Router as I'm using it and I've placed it about 8ft away from the WPA581.

Running 1x CAT6 from Modem to Trendnet TPE-115GI/A => 1x CAT6 to WPA581.
I've tried different CAT6 and I have 3 other TrendNet POE with the same results.

In the future house I go from modem to POE Switch to the 4x WPA581 but I need to make sure the WPA581 is the right solution before I buy more.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 9.47.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 9.47.39 AM.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 178
Something is F##$. Just went out and bought a Trendnet - TEW809UB - AC1900 High Power Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter +
MIMO config 4x4:3 +4x4:3.

CISCO WAP581
Windows Connection Speed: 975Mbps - Speedtest (fast.com/speedtest/at&t average) 55Mbps/31.5Mbps
I thought it was drivers or laptop. So I decided to connect to the AT&T BGW210 and
Windows Connection Speed: 1.3Gbps - Speedtest (fast.com/speedtest/at&t average) 220Mbps/300Mbps

............something is not right.

So how is your network configured exactly? The WAP581 is plugged into the AT&T router? Why are you buying Trendnet to run Cisco wireless? It would not be my choice. Did you try Intel wireless on on a non-radar channel? I guess you know that you should get around half the speed of the connect speed on Windows 10 since wireless is not duplex. To me that Trendnet is not working right for either wireless. For the AT&T connection speed is 1.3 Gbps and your speed is 300/Mbps sounds wrong. Yes the WAP581 is more wrong but I think the Trendnet does not work right in either case. I would return it. Every one of your tests seem strange. I assume you are using Windows 10?

Sounds like your hardware likes AT&T wireless. How are you going to extend AT&T wireless, do they wireless APs? Maybe your hardware will like Ruckus that is the other popular wireless APs.

So far it seems AT&T wireless should replace most of the wireless routers out there.

The Cisco WPA 581 did not come with a power adapter or a POE. (Surprising for such an expensive device). When I ordered them from amazon it shows TrendNet is the one that most people purchase with it. There wasn't any Cisco power adapters or POE from Cisco available on Amazon. So I ordered 4x Trendnet and 1 EnGenius.

Already set a return for the Trendnet on Amazon. It doesn't work on my Macbook... The drivers are only good for OS 10.1 or EARLIER...lol

My Zbook has an Intel 8265-AC card. I'm using that as my primary testing source.

It was between the WPA581 and Ruckus but I got a great deal on 4 Cisco units so I bought them.
The new house is 4200sq.ft with 3 levels (basement). The plan was to install 1 router in the ceiling per floor and one at the end of the patio to get wifi in the pool area. I have CAT 6 pre-wired to those locations already.
The AT&T router will never have the range to cover everything. If it did I would not have spent all this money.

BTW: Trying with Cisco techsupport but it's very disappointing. I've been on the phone for 1hr and they are still creating me a "profile" they are so confused that I'm not a business and need to override the system....

Is your ethernet cable on the WAP581 plugged into port 1 ?
"

Ports2 GE ports - one 2.5G and second one 10/100/1000 Ethernet, with support for 802.3at at PoE; support is only for port 1
"

This the Engenius ?
EnGenius Technologies 802.3AT/Af Gigabit Poe+ Adapter (EPA5006GAT),Black

Eth 1 2.5G does not support the PD. I just tried to plug it in to be 100% sure and the unit does not power up. It is connected to ETH0

Yes that is the EnGenius and the Cisco doesn't like it. Luckly I only bought one of those.

Just ordered the SB-PWR-48V power adapter from Amazon. Should arrive Friday, I'll try that too.. I'm fed up.

Last edited:
Here are Cisco specs on POE power for the WAP581.

Power optionsIEEE 802.3at/af Ethernet switch
Cisco power injector: SB-PWR-INJ2-xx
Cisco power adapter: SB-PWR-48v-xx
Peak power: 18 watts

I have found 802.11af does not deliver enough POE power as 802.11af is limited to 15 watts and the WAP581 requires 18 watts at peak. So it will run but not well. I use a Cisco POE+ switch to run my WAP581 APs.

Here are Cisco specs on POE power for the WAP581.

Power optionsIEEE 802.3at/af Ethernet switch
Cisco power injector: SB-PWR-INJ2-xx
Cisco power adapter: SB-PWR-48v-xx
Peak power: 18 watts

I have found 802.11af does not deliver enough POE power as 802.11af is limited to 15 watts and the WAP581 requires 18 watts at peak. So it will run but not well. I use a Cisco POE+ switch to run my WAP581 APs.

I'm currently using the Trendnet TPE-115GI/A which is IEEE 802.3at PoE+ (30 Watt) compliant & Backwards compatible with IEEE 802.3af PoE (15 Watt) devices. https://www.trendnet.com/products/poe-splitters-injectors-extenders/tpe-115GI

Just incase it is a power issue I've ordered the Cisco SB-PWR-48v and I'll try it.
Process of elimination

I am looking for a 2.5 gig switch with POE+ power to run the Cisco WAP581 APs but they are all real expensive right now for home use.

PS
Did you have version 2 of the Trendnet POE adapter? It seems version 1 is discontinued maybe because it did not work right. It would be good to know for future questions.

Last edited:
Have you setup 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz on the same SSID? AT&T recommends it as well as I do on my Cisco WAP581 APs. You have not stated you are plugging in the WAP581 AP into the AT&T router. I assume so.

PS
I guess you know AT&T makes wireless extenders for GIG internet. It seems like they were $50 each. I posted about them a couple of years ago. You can use AT&T wireless across your home.

Last edited:
I've tried both settings. I've even tried disabling the 2.4Ghz...
The WAP581 is connecting directly from the AT&T BGW210.
The AT&T extender isn't a solution for me as I need something to be in the ceiling and POE powered.

My buddy lend me his laptop with WiFi Explorer Pro and I did some more testing. He explained to me that going over the channels one by one is pointless as it goes in sets of 4 with wireless AC. I did the test and he is right.
ALSO when I'm using DFS channels the upload speed is slower...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!