What's new

BE98 Pro slow wifi download normal upload

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tresnugget

New Around Here
Just got the BE98 Pro and I'm having the same issue as my AX11000.

I have 1gbps down/1 gbps up from ISP.

When I do speed test from Ethernet I get 945 down/945 up consistently.

The built in Speed test in the firmware which by default connects to my ISP's server, gets only 600 down, but 945 up.

Wifi 6E desktop gets 600 down 945 up

2 Wifi 6E phones (iPhone 15 pro, Samsung Z Fold 5) get 400 down 945 up.

With the AX11000 I assumed the speed test in the firmware was just bugged as it would be all over the place like sometimes getting close to 900 but usually 600ish and that the 5 ghz band was congested because I have a bunch of devices in one small area but with the be router on 6 ghz the results are the exact same.

No QoS, no VPN, no neighbors for a quarter mile.

Any suggestions on something to try to get my wifi download speeds to something normal would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
If your ethernet devices are getting 945/945 then that's what you're getting and there's no point worrying about the results from the built in test - just ignore it.

If your ethernet devices are getting 945/945 then that's what you're getting and there's no point worrying about the results from the built in test - just ignore it.
Right, but my wifi maxes out at 400-600 down but the full 945 up on wifi devices a few feet away from up over wifi 6e on 6 ghz band with no interference

Right, but my wifi maxes out at 400-600 down but the full 945 up on wifi devices a few feet away from up over wifi 6e on 6 ghz band with no interference
I am having similar issues with my GT-AX11000 when using the internal speedtest within the GUI. My speeds are all over the place. I read somewhere this could due to the router CPU or having AiProtect enabled would cause issues. My speeds are worst when I run a speedtest thru my phone and quickly run a speedtest from the firmware simultaneously. I never had issues with previous firmwares so it's hard to say if it's a firmware issue or hardware issue (at least for my router).

However these new routers have a more powerful CPU so im not sure what could be the issue. You tried doing the speedtest directly from the speedtest website or have you tried using fast.com instead? Are you getting same results using other speedtest sites while on ethernet? I know doing WiFi speedtest will vary but the main thing is you're your speeds on ethernet!

Last edited:
I am having similar issues with my GT-AX11000 when using the internal speedtest within the GUI. My speeds are all over the place. I read somewhere this could due to the router CPU or having AiProtect enabled would cause issues. My speeds are worst when I run a speedtest thru my phone and quickly run a speedtest from the firmware simultaneously. I never had issues with previous firmwares so it's hard to say if it's a firmware issue or hardware issue (at least for my router).

However these new routers have a more powerful CPU so im not sure what could be the issue. You tried doing the speedtest directly from the speedtest website or have you tried using fast.com instead? Are you getting same results using other speedtest sites while on ethernet? I know doing WiFi speedtest will vary but the main thing is you're your speeds on ethernet!
Right now all wifi devices are getting about 400 down or a little lower when using my ISP's speedtest.net server. Ethernet of course doing 945/945. One of said wifi devices is actually the PC on Ethernet. I just disable the nic in device manager and connect to the 6 ghz wifi.

I tried googles speed test just now as well as fast.com and they're both getting 550 which makes 0 sense. I should have a better connection to my ISP than anyone else. Over Ethernet I pull about 700-800 on each. I think it's a firmware issue as it's extremely weird that both routers behave the exact same way and I would think I'd be getting way better than 400 over wifi 6e 5 ft away from the router and if it was actually the WiFi it makes less sense that I can do 1 gbps upload but less than half download .

In addition to any issues your setup may have with WiFi (drivers, settings, clients, etc.), there is also the non-WiFi sources of interference that may be affecting your results.

WiFi isn't a science (at least not for us users), and nothing is guaranteed. While your results may not seem reasonable to you, I've seen (and fixed) worse.

In addition to any issues your setup may have with WiFi (drivers, settings, clients, etc.), there is also the non-WiFi sources of interference that may be affecting your results.

WiFi isn't a science (at least not for us users), and nothing is guaranteed. While your results may not seem reasonable to you, I've seen (and fixed) worse.
So I can share files from my wifi 6e enabled PC to my wifi 6e enabled android phone at a consistent 100-115 MB/s so 800-920 mbps so I really don't think it's interference. I assumed it was interference on the 5 ghz band with the last router but with it doing the exact same thing on the 6 ghz band with this one I have to assume it's something to do with the firmware since it's only Internet traffic.

Last edited:
You may be right, but I can't follow that logic. 🙂

You may be right, but I can't follow that logic. 🙂
If you have any suggestions of something to try I'm all ears.

Wifi can do near 1 gbps file transfers locally but internet download traffic maxes out at about 600 mbps while upload is full gbps. At the time of the file transfer test the device that was downloading a local file at near 1 gbps was only doing 350 mbps over speed test.net. Same device does full gbps down and up over ethernet and full gbps upload over wifi with speedtest.net.

No QoS. No VPN. No AI protect. No other electronics. I only have 3 devices that can connect to 6 ghz wifi and the only time I've had wifi enabled on more than one at a time is when I did the file transfer test. I'd assume interference on 6 ghz band would be at it's highest during that test as that's the only time there's been more than one 6 ghz device active at a time. No neighbors for at least a quarter mile in any direction. No airport for probably 60 miles. I'm on a farm pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

No new suggestions, just the basics (but they're that important).

You may be able to search (via Better Search) with my name for more details/overview of the steps, guides, and ideas presented in my links above.

But quickly, when you're in test mode:
  • Flash the firmware you want to use/test
  • Flash the firmware you want to use/test more than once (consecutively, between full resets).
  • Fully reset the router (I would use all available options, consecutively)
  • Use never-before-used 8/16 alphanumeric character SSIDs, usernames, and / passwords.
  • Determine ideal location, including height, orientation and antennae placement for main router, first.
  • Determine best Control Channels. This doesn't necessarily mean highest bandwidth provided. Lowest latency is much more important to tuning the router to its surroundings (and takes into account non-WiFi interference by default).
  • Do not connect all your devices immediately. Test with only the main device on the network.
  • Reboot the router via GUI and repeat/affirm testing above.
  • Reboot the client device and do the same (Restart, not Shutdown - the latter is not the same thing).
  • Reboot both router and client device and repeat.
  • Keep excellent notes of your testing process - I recommend Excel.
  • Do not use WiFi 'apps'. They skew and hamper your testing without providing any usable data to act on.
  • Do not randomly toggle options/features on/off after a full reset. This may/will require a full reset to quickly get back to the routers'/firmwares' expected defaults once more.
The process above takes a long time to write out (as above) and/or document your steps, but it is not arduous, rather, it is essential to determine how your clients/network are affected in your environment, and the best options/settings needed for them.

Sorry, gotta run.

No new suggestions, just the basics (but they're that important).

You may be able to search (via Better Search) with my name for more details/overview of the steps, guides, and ideas presented in my links above.

But quickly, when you're in test mode:
  • Flash the firmware you want to use/test
  • Flash the firmware you want to use/test more than once (consecutively, between full resets).
  • Fully reset the router (I would use all available options, consecutively)
  • Use never-before-used 8/16 alphanumeric character SSIDs, usernames, and / passwords.
  • Determine ideal location, including height, orientation and antennae placement for main router, first.
  • Determine best Control Channels. This doesn't necessarily mean highest bandwidth provided. Lowest latency is much more important to tuning the router to its surroundings (and takes into account non-WiFi interference by default).
  • Do not connect all your devices immediately. Test with only the main device on the network.
  • Reboot the router via GUI and repeat/affirm testing above.
  • Reboot the client device and do the same (Restart, not Shutdown - the latter is not the same thing).
  • Reboot both router and client device and repeat.
  • Keep excellent notes of your testing process - I recommend Excel.
  • Do not use WiFi 'apps'. They skew and hamper your testing without providing any usable data to act on.
  • Do not randomly toggle options/features on/off after a full reset. This may/will require a full reset to quickly get back to the routers'/firmwares' expected defaults once more.
The process above takes a long time to write out (as above) and/or document your steps, but it is not arduous, rather, it is essential to determine how your clients/network are affected in your environment, and the best options/settings needed for them.

Sorry, gotta run.
I really appreciate the time you took to write out all of that.

I've tried a lot of what you've suggested but I was admittedly pretty sloppy about it.

I've got some time off so I'll probably dig into it some more this week while being more careful about factory resetting with each change.

Just as an update I've realized the problem has something to specifically do with speed test websites.

I've finally found something my ISP can consistently download at nearly the full gbps speeds - RDR2 via the rockstar launcher.

Downloads at 114 MB/s via wired or wireless while the ookla speedtest from my ISP's server routinely reports 400-600 over wireless and 945 over wired. I don't get it but now that I have evidence that it has the speed when it counts I won't worry about it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!