What's new

Slower internet since firmware update 384.10_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

On 10_2, look on the Tools Sysinfo tab near the bottom to see what your hardware acceleration status is. Might be CTF+FA or CTF only, etc. Compare with 10_0.

is your Fiber setup using DHCP or PPPOE?

Well the only thing that appears to be affected now is the speed test on my iPhone, which is getting 50 down and 500 up. Not sure if something else might have changed with doing the factory defaults, such as MIMO, Beamforming, etc... any suggestions?

Disregard, I moved 5 feet further from the router and wifi speeds are back to normal. Everything is good now on the previous firmware (at least for my needs). Thank you everyone for your help! That's what I get for messing with things on a Sunday.

1.4 gbps internet connection? That speed test site is crap, lol. You can't really do more than ~960 Mbps unless the hardware is multi-gig. Also, you will want to hide your IP address in that screenshot.

Disregard, I moved 5 feet further from the router and wifi speeds are back to normal. Everything is good now on the previous firmware (at least for my needs). Thank you everyone for your help! That's what I get for messing with things on a Sunday.

Hehe, I was going to vote for ctf+fqc being off... Nice when you have a problem that truly does fix itself when you walk away from it. :D

1.4 gbps internet connection? That speed test site is crap, lol. You can't really do more than ~960 Mbps unless the hardware is multi-gig. Also, you will want to hide your IP address in that screenshot.
Obviously that particular test is an extreme example, as the speeds I'm getting from the ATT modem's onboard speed test are only showing 970 each way, but I just wanted to show what can happen if you follow the M&M steps. Bufferbloat is now A or A+ on dslreports, which is also consistently showing 800++ speeds.

I just updated RT-AC3200 to 384.10.2 and I'm getting this at system log
Apr 11 22:01:11 kernel: ICMPv6 NA: someone advertises our address fe80:0000:0000:0000:2e4d:54ff:feb1:bee0 on br0!
Advice?

To everyone that says "i haven't had to factory reset before, this is the first time an upgrade has caused issues" :

Just because you haven't had to do it before, doesn't mean you won't ever need to. Flashing a new firmware isn't without risk, and carrying settings from version to version doesn't mean that what worked before will continue to work.

I myself haven't had to factory reset since after making the jump to Merlin on my 86U, but rest assured I am ready to make that reset if I come across any oddities after flashing.

@L&LD has a great M&M guide for this process

You are right, after a factory reset it works fine again. Turns out Hardware Acceleration was not working with the update and my "old" settings. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2019-04-12 - 20.06.20 ~ Cropped Capture.png
    2019-04-12 - 20.06.20 ~ Cropped Capture.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 7,090
You are right, after a factory reset it works fine again. Turns out Hardware Acceleration was not working with the update and my "old" settings. Thanks.

Yes, the "factory reset" is a well known requirement across the computer industry. When new firmware is flashed, sometimes the various settings and variable layouts are no longer valid for the firmware as loaded. This is especially true when there's a large jump in firmware versions. It's less likely when the changes to the firmware are small - but it's not impossible. It's always a best practice to reset the firmware to the factory defaults. It's just a matter of time before it rears it's ulgy head. That's why having an easy way to dump those DHCP settings and reload would be a great part of amtm. :) Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!