What's new

Slower Internet Speed After Routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thexile

Regular Contributor
Hi guys, I have just upgraded my Internet plan to 1Gbps. However, I am not getting the speed after routing through my RT-AC66U.

Speed directly from modem:
tGT02kt.png

Speed after routing though RT-AC66U:
pXSaEJQ.png

Above speedtests are carried out with wired connection.

I have disabled IPTraffic to enable HW acceleration, removed all JFFS scripts (I only had AB-Solution running prior -> this results in a net increase of 20 Mbps) and all external storage.

ibKGM5o.png

What other factor(s) you guys think is holding back the speed?

Enclosed my ISP speedtest results as attachments.

Attachments

• Direct to Modem 2.PNG
    Direct to Modem 2.PNG
    67.5 KB · Views: 344
  • After AC66U 2.PNG
    After AC66U 2.PNG
    67.4 KB · Views: 526
Hi guys, I have just upgraded my Internet plan to 1Gbps. However, I am not getting the speed after routing through my RT-AC66U.
and you never will even with the latest 5300ac routers as they just dont have the speed or throughput yet

What other factor(s) you guys think is holding back the speed?
routers wan to lan speed once routing and qos functions are enabled

The RT-AC66U is a first generation 'AC' design. Very outdated hardware today particularly for the ISP speeds you have.

Almost anything will be an improvement (RT-AC68U and up. With a 1GHz processor or higher and running RMerlin firmware or one of the forks thereof, of course).

Btw, what firmware is your RT-AC66U running?

I am running Merlin 380.58 with QoS turn off.

Hmm perhaps I should get Ubiquit EdgeRouter Lite to do all the routing while relaying on my ASUS routers (AC66U and N66U) as WiFi AP.

It is strange. As darkstalker pointed out you should be able to get ~800 Mbps in your test configuration. The speeds you're seeing are what you would expect if hardware acceleration were not enabled. Did you do a factory default reset? Perhaps there is a bug in the firmware. Maybe try an older version of the firmware.

It is strange. As darkstalker pointed out you should be able to get ~800 Mbps in your test configuration. The speeds you're seeing are what you would expect if hardware acceleration were not enabled. Did you do a factory default reset? Perhaps there is a bug in the firmware. Maybe try an older version of the firmware.
I haven't tried a factory reset yet. I will give it try later. Thanks mate.

Last edited:
I haven't tried a factory reset yet. I will give it try later. Thanks mate.
Resetting to factory default works. Time to reconfigure everything back. :)

However what pete y testing said is true. The router itself throttles once I hit the max. speed (tested with Internet Download Manager with file downloading from Microsoft website).

This is the current speed I am getting.

Speedtest.net
RbrGHUZ.png

ISP Speedtest
gOrQ1kJ.png

I just noticed that by turning on IPv6, the speed will drop 4 times. Thus I am disabling IPv6 for now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!