What's new

Small Business Networking Upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dwojkowski

New Around Here
I am having difficulty locating a good 8-port wireless router. I am using a Linksys E4200, and am looking to expand the network.

Our bandwidth is not high enough to warrant gigabit or even the AC wireless standard. I basically just need a good, reliable, 8-port, N-class router with a good firewall, VPN and security features. ANY help would be welcome.

Shanks!!!

Have you looked at Fortinet?

Might be a little pricey but they provide a true small/medium business UTM device. The FortiWifi 60-D has 7 LAN ports and dual-band 802.11n.

That might be a little bit out of the price range. Definitely a beast, but assuming I only have $250 to budget, what would that look like?

I am having difficulty locating a good 8-port wireless router. I am using a Linksys E4200, and am looking to expand the network.

Our bandwidth is not high enough to warrant gigabit or even the AC wireless standard. I basically just need a good, reliable, 8-port, N-class router with a good firewall, VPN and security features. ANY help would be welcome.

Shanks!!!

Just use an ethernet switch connected to the router's LAN port, for heaven's sake. Super simple.
because you didn't know this, then maybe you need a professional to review your approach to security which is the #1 priority in WiFi for businesses. Liability, customer info protection, etc. are not to be glossed over.

Just use an ethernet switch connected to the router's LAN port, for heaven's sake. Super simple.
because you didn't know this, then maybe you need a professional to review your approach to security which is the #1 priority in WiFi for businesses. Liability, customer info protection, etc. are not to be glossed over.

I should have stated in my original post that the router I am using now is insufficient for my future needs with this network (such as VPN and proper firewall security). Adding a switch to the insufficient router would just give me more ports into an insufficient router. Thank you for trying to be positive and helpful, though.