What's new

Smart Connection on/off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raion969

Do you use smart connection and does it have any negative inpact for overall performance in terms of lan performance because the router has to "work" a little bit more maybe ?

Do you use smart connection and does it have any negative inpact for overall performance in terms of lan performance because the router has to "work" a little bit more maybe ?

The only performance issue I notice is that using Smart Connect can leave you wondering which WLAN you are connected to (the WLAN usually determines client performance, so you need to know which WLAN to interpret client performance). This is bothersome when debugging because you have to always be inspecting client connection status to know. So, I prefer using different SSIDs and hard connecting my clients to them... I see this as the most predictable and timely connection of my wireless clients.

During AiMesh development, I switch back to using SC from time to time to see how clients respond. Eventually, my client connections get created for SSID, and SSID-50 or SSID-24. So, it becomes rather simple to test with each firmware release... just toggle SC on/off. In a perfect router firmware and wireless client world, I'd leave SC enable. But I prefer it disabled now.

OE

for me i had a littlebit of randoem connection disconnects or slower performance with SC enabled

SmartConnect works best when switched OFF.
The older I get, though - even while wifi is getting better and better - the more I like/want/prefer a wired connection. Running/fishing/terminating cables has turned into a sport for me, one that i always WIN!
you know you've gone too far when someone in the house starts walking around muttering "Switches...ethernet switches everywhere..."

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!