What's new

SMB netbios name was cut from device name

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

saccleo

Regular Contributor
I use RT-AC66U_B1, and it's device name is RT-AC66U_B1-2808 in webui samb setting page. After upgrade to 384.15, netbios name was changed from RT-AC66U_B1-2808 to RT-AC66U_B1-280.
How to fix this ?
thanks a lot for any help.

I use RT-AC66U_B1, and it's device name is RT-AC66U_B1-2808 in webui samb setting page. After upgrade to 384.15, netbios name was changed from RT-AC66U_B1-2808 to RT-AC66U_B1-280.
How to fix this ?
thanks a lot for any help.

Can you not set the Device Name on the Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk tab under USB Application?

The maximum length a NetBIOS name can be is 15 characters. The input field on the Samba page will not accept any more than that.

It's sounds like that when the router was first setup it didn't truncate the auto-generated name (<model number> "-" <last 2 octets of MAC address>) from 16 to 15 characters as it should have.

The maximum length a NetBIOS name can be is 15 characters. The input field on the Samba page will not accept any more than that.

It's sounds like that when the router was first setup it didn't truncate the auto-generated name (<model number> "-" <last 2 octets of MAC address>) from 16 to 15 characters as it should have.
I tried to change the device name on the Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk tab, as you mentioned only 15 characters can be filled in.

Well I don't know how you ever managed to have a device name of 16 characters. Obviously the name was auto-generated like that but I've checked the source code all the way back to the initial 384 release and that field has always been restricted to 15 characters.

Oh well, best to give it a valid name now that you've discovered it.

Well I don't know how you ever managed to have a device name of 16 characters. Obviously the name was auto-generated like that but I've checked the source code all the way back to the initial 384 release and that field has always been restricted to 15 characters.

Oh well, best to give it a valid name now that you've discovered it.
I upgrade from 384.14-2 to 384.15, after that i didn't erase the config.

I upgrade from 384.14-2 to 384.15, after that i didn't erase the config.
I appreciate that. I'm just saying that I'm surprised that it ever stored a 16 character name, regardless of what firmware you're using. AFAIK you'd have to go all the way back to a 380.x release for that to be possible.

I appreciate that. I'm just saying that I'm surprised that it ever stored a 16 character name, regardless of what firmware you're using. AFAIK you'd have to go all the way back to a 380.x release for that to be possible.
Not sure if it's relevant, just thinking out loud.

I seem to remember that Merlin and others recently started to advise people to actively change the device name to fix some issues. Can this somehow be relevant in this scenario...

I have erase nvram and make a clean starup. I still got a netbios name "RT-AC66U_B1_280".

How can I change netbios name?

I have erase nvram and make a clean starup. I still got a netbios name "RT-AC66U_B1_280".

How can I change netbios name?
As previously explained the NetBIOS must be 15 characters or less. You can change it on the "USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" page.