What's new

SMB Not working correctly on RT-AC86U - 384.11_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blaze01

New Around Here
In the default configuration of "SMBv1 + SMBv2" the router(as an browsable computer) does not show up at all in Windows Explorer this also the same when using SMBv2.

When switched to SMBv1 it works fine, I have tested this both on desktop and laptop and get the same result.

If I mount the folder using SMBv2 using the command line I get:

"You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network."

If I enabled the relevant group policies I can then access the share.

Seem the router is not promoting windows for login to access the share and SMBv1 ignores this fact.

All settings default( enable guest access have no effect)

Do you map the drive in a Windows explorer and specify your router credentials? That works for me.

I think that will be fixed in 384.12:

384.12 (xx-xxx-2019)
- NEW: Added WS-Discovery support. This allows Windows clients
to detect the router's shared USB drives even if SMBv1
support is disabled.

I think that will be fixed in 384.12:

384.12 (xx-xxx-2019)
- NEW: Added WS-Discovery support. This allows Windows clients
to detect the router's shared USB drives even if SMBv1
support is disabled.
Possibly but I should be able to type in the address and still access the drive.

This is how I do it, with the Map network drive icon, pick a drive letter, put my UNC path in, Connect using different credentials. With only SMBv2 enabled.
upload_2019-6-14_21-27-23.png

But not why there is no Auth login prompt.
I've never really gotten to the bottom of how exactly it works, but in my experience Windows is annoyingly tenuous in hanging to the first user account that it tries to authenticate with. That would typically be the current local Windows account. Even after changing account settings on the server side it still takes a full reboot of the PC to get it properly re-try the authentication. Turning up the Samba log level and looking in its log file usually provides an insight into what's happening.

This is how I do it, with the Map network drive icon, pick a drive letter, put my UNC path in, Connect using different credentials. With only SMBv2 enabled.View attachment 18245

Yep no luck for me I get a login prompt but when I login then windows says it cannot access the drive:

Attachments

• ss.PNG
    ss.PNG
    99.4 KB · Views: 656
  • dd.png
    dd.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 553
  • ss.PNG
    ss.PNG
    78.4 KB · Views: 565
Yep no luck for me I get a login prompt but when I login then windows says it cannot access the drive:
I use \admin (or whatever your router username is) as the username since my laptop is joined to my company’s domain and the \ avoids confusion of Windows sending the computer name or domain name in front of the username.

Ok I got it working if I map the drive and use different credentials then login it will then error out. If I then open windows explorer and navigate to the drive it is then available and works fine.