What's new

Solved SMB2 share does not work (SMB1 does)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zany130

Regular Contributor
As the title says, I can only get SMB sharing to work if I follow this guide https://steve.maraspin.net/posts/geek-stuff/asus-router-samba-share-issues-with-linux-fixed/ and configure both my router and system (Arch Linux) to use SMB protocol 1. Configuring both to SMB2 causes

Bash:
smbclient -L \\192.168.2.1
lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "client NTLMv2 auth" option is deprecated
lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "client use spnego" option is deprecated
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

Those instructions are years out of date and refer to an ancient version of stock firmware. Merlin added support for SMBv2 in his firmware years ago.

Code:
$ smbclient -L 192.168.1.1 -U admin
lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
Password for [HOME\admin]:

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        ASUS (at ClickUSB1) Disk      ClickUSB1's ASUS in Verbatim ClickUSB
        entware (at ClickUSB1) Disk      ClickUSB1's entware in Verbatim ClickUSB
        ASUS (at ClickUSB2) Disk      ClickUSB2's ASUS in Verbatim ClickUSB
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (RT-AX86U)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

Those instructions are years out of date and refer to an ancient version of stock firmware. Merlin added support for SMBv2 in his firmware years ago.

Code:
$ smbclient -L 192.168.1.1 -U admin
lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
Password for [HOME\admin]:

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        ASUS (at ClickUSB1) Disk      ClickUSB1's ASUS in Verbatim ClickUSB
        entware (at ClickUSB1) Disk      ClickUSB1's entware in Verbatim ClickUSB
        ASUS (at ClickUSB2) Disk      ClickUSB2's ASUS in Verbatim ClickUSB
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (RT-AX86U)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available
yeah but it wasn't working out of the box giving me

even when specifying -m SMB2

which is why I stumbled on that article and was able to get it working by following those instructions and using smb1

Strange, it works for me. I assume you have enabled SMBv2 support in the router's GUI?

Sorry, I think we're talking at crossed purposes. That config file isn't for an Asus router its for a server on some other sort of machine. I thought you were talking about the Samba server on your Asus router.

yeah and my smb (on my arch system so its configured to only accept SMB2 servers) config looked like this before I followed that guide

yeah but it wasn't working out of the box giving me

even when specifying -m SMB2

which is why I stumbled on that article and was able to get it working by following those instructions and using smb1
Odd, this is working for me under Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04 it properly enumerates my shares when my router is set to SMB2 only. Make sure you aren't using a customized smb config on the router, just enable SMB2 support on the Windows FIle Sharing settings.

Last edited:
yeah that my arch linux system just wanted to show that my system is configured for SMB2 as for the router Ill post its smb config but I never messed with it manually

as from what I understand, the issue I'm getting is because of mismatch smb protocol versions.

here is my router smb config https://bpa.st/5QDQ (with some potentially sensitive things blanked out)

Last edited:
yeah that my arch linux system just wanted to show that my system is configured for SMB2 as for the router Ill post its smb config but I never messed with it manually

as from what I understand, the issue I'm getting is because of mismatch smb protocol versions.

here is my router smb config https://bpa.st/5QDQ (with some potentially sensitive things blanked out)
Protocol version looks fine on your router. I suspect then the problem might possibly not be related to SMB version, but to other features. For instance if your client makes signing mandatory, that won't work as this isn't supported by the router's Samba.

The only thing I might think of would be if your client was actually trying to use version 2.1 or 3.0 instead of version 2.

You'd probably need more verbose logging to determine what is causing the issue.

yes - it's a mismatch on the param values...

Protocol version looks fine on your router. I suspect then the problem might possibly not be related to SMB version, but to other features. For instance if your client makes signing mandatory, that won't work as this isn't supported by the router's Samba.

The only thing I might think of would be if your client was actually trying to use version 2.1 or 3.0 instead of version 2.

You'd probably need more verbose logging to determine what is causing the issue.
how do I get more verbose logging? I did find that the smbclient has a -d parameter to set debug level but doesn't show anything that looks immediately useful https://bpa.st/CGFA but looks like it might be something configured on my arch linux system samba config mismatching with the routers as I have another windows laptop configured to use smb 2 and it works there

how do I get more verbose logging? I did find that the smbclient has a -d parameter to set debug level but doesn't show anything that looks immediately useful https://bpa.st/CGFA but looks like it might be something configured on my arch linux system samba config mismatching with the routers as I have another windows laptop configured to use smb 2 and it works there
I don't know, sorry.

One thing you could try - I don't know if smbclient uses the smb.conf config file, but just to see if it does, try temporarily renaming your ArchLinux box's smb.conf file so smbclient cannot find it, then try again using smbclient.

fixed it the issue was indeed that the smb 2 used by the router is older than the smb used by my arch system had to specify the min client version as SMB2_02