What's new

SMC Networking Equipment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
I'd like to see SMC's products included in your reviews. CNET back in March gave the SMC SMCWGBR14-N Barricade N router an "editors choice" recommendation. Althought I think it is nice they believe it is a good product, I value the opinion of SmallNetBuilder more than that of your competitor. It would be helpful to see your opinion on SMC products.

Thanks for the suggestion. We stopped reviewing SMC products a few years back after one too many disappointing experiences. The company also has been working more on developing its SMB and service provider businesses than consumer.

Why would you consider SMC vs. D-Link, Netgear or Linksys?

The only reason I was considering SMC was the recommendation by that other site. Thanks for your comments regarding disappointing experiences. In regards to the 3 brands you highlighted, I have been disappointed with Linksys products for some time now, but very happy with D-Link and Netgear. I currently have a DLINK DIR-655 and Netgear WPN824 covering my house/yard. I'm looking to replace/upgrade my WPN824. Right now I'm leaning towards another DIR-655 and setting it up as a WAP. Appreciate any further comments or recommendations?

I have been disappointed with Linksys products for some time now,
Anything in particular that has been disappointing?

I'm looking to replace/upgrade my WPN824. Right now I'm leaning towards another DIR-655 and setting it up as a WAP. Appreciate any further comments or recommendations?
Unless you need 5GHz, and if the DIR-655 is working for you, I'd stick with it. Just curious, why are you replacing the WPN824?

My clients have been disconnecting and then immediately reconnecting to the the WPN824 (running with the latest firmware). This happens probably once every minute, even while sitting in the same room of the WPN824 with no interferance between it and my laptops.

Well that must be annoying.
I'd go with another DIR-655.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!