What's new

SOHO with Skype needs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

metal_quichi

New Around Here
Hi everybody,

I would like to know your thoughts regarding the router to be acquired for a small/medium office (15 people all wireless + 1 wired printer, in a 500 square feet loft).

Basically the requirement that everybody begs for is to be able to have skype calls without hiccups.

Right now we have a DIR-300 with dd-wrt, but we are going to be moved to an office without cables. Wireless is a must.

We have a 20Mbps/10Mbps internet plan.

I was looking for a router with good throughput and that can be found in Colombia, but the best that I've found that is available locally is TEW-639GR, Dir-640L, Dir-825, Wndr3700, TEW-691GR, TEW-692GR, AirRouter and AirRouter HP.

Please your assistance. By no means I'm a network expert, though, I do love messing around with technology. That is why I was nominated as the IT/Network guy :p

Thanks in advance.

Your first order problem it the ISP and their speed and latency quality.

After that is adequate, then WiFi... you'll need no more than 1 or 2 user streaming Skype at the same time, assuming your ISP service is quite fast, say, 10Mbps or more sustained, real.

Given your highest priority is excellent Skype call I would try the following.

1. Purchase a router with a fast and powerful processor with lots of memory. Use this device as your network's primary router. Set up QOS to favor VOIP and use other rules to block and restrict access to sites such as HULU, YouTube, etc. Your bandwidth is OK for fifteen voice only Skype users but you should probably avoid video calls.

2. Attach another AP to the primary router using an Ethernet cable. Set up rules to split the wireless traffic between the two wireless SSIDs. While a good router should be able to handle twenty wireless clients, spending $50 - $80 for another AP is probably worth it if your Skype phone service is important to your business.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!