What's new

[SOLVED] Help! Cannot connect AC68U to my AC86U as aimesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried "Both with HTTP and HTTPS", which did not solve the problem.
Thank you though.
I had the same problem linking an RT-AC86U and an RT-AC68U.
I suddenly realised that when I had reset them both to factory defaults I had set the same username and password for both units when restarting them.
I then gave them different usernames and the problem was resolved.

I had the same problem linking an RT-AC86U and an RT-AC68U.
I suddenly realised that when I had reset them both to factory defaults I had set the same username and password for both units when restarting them.
I then gave them different usernames and the problem was resolved.
And another success story... i had same problem. Having an existing AC86U, fully configured with 26 connected devices (and i didnt want to reset it), bought a used AC68U to be used as aimesh node, but after 76% initialization of connecting the aimesh node (like someone explained here before) it went quickly to 100%, and failed.

Solution was to find the latest 3.0.0.4.384_32799 firmware for AC86U (didnt not appear on the GUI of version 3.0.0.4.384_20467, so i had to manually search for it and download), manually uploaded. With this change i was able to connect them into an aimesh system. There were no need to reset the AC86U, just the AC68U.

So main point is, do not trust ASUSWRT GUI for firmware upgrade, do it yourself manually uploading the latest and you will probably good to go. And maybe just a coincident, but the firmwares are the same version now on both routers, not sure how much it matters.

Just wanted to share my resolution, hope it can help someone.

Hey guys SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No need to reset the 86u.

After downgrading the 68u firmware to 20942 and before i tried it again, i was staring at my browser and starting thinking "i wonder if its the fact i'm connecting to my router via SSL only".

So I went into 'admin' and changed it accept BOTH secure & insecure logins, then logged out and back onto my 86u using HTTP and the IP address instead.

This time when i went to add the 68u and it got to 75..it went to 80..81..85..then zoomed to 100% and I got the message below. HAPPY DAYS!

So file this away in the KB that maybe if someone else has this issue to try removing the SSL requirement from the host router and login as HTTP to the IP before adding a node.

Thanks all! Admins, can you add 'SOLVED' to this thread or add this to the knowledgebase?

I had the same issue however i had a different fix for mine. My ssid were hidden and that caused the problem. So make sure your ssid is not hidden and then after you add the aimesh node you can hide your ssid again.

I had the same issue however i had a different fix for mine. My ssid were hidden and that caused the problem. So make sure your ssid is not hidden and then after you add the aimesh node you can hide your ssid again.

Why do you hide your SSID?

OE

There are more reasons to hide SSIDs!!!

Maybe I want single SSID for 2G/5G for everyday usage, but different ones hidden for testing.
Or hidden for special purpose like home automatisation, not spreading senseless with hundreds other SSID for no reason than finding usable ones harder than correct one.
Or same as an SSID on a different location only for a single device (laptop).
Or for special VPN purposes.

It has nothing to do with security, ONLY administrational things and have them more handsome.

I had the same issue with connecting an AiMesh node to my RT-AC88U. With both a TM-AC1900 ( flashed to an RT-AC68U with the latest firmware ) and an original RT-AC68P (also with the latest firmware), the AC88U would find them but when trying to add them as a Node would reach 42% and then quickly go to 100% and give the error message regarding temporarily being unable to add the router as an AiMesh node. I tried downgrading the firmware and all of the other suggestions mentioned but had no success. The only thing I didn’t try was connecting the node routers to my AC88U via Ethernet cable as the original poster mentioned but never tried as he believed that would only allow them to function as a wired AiMesh node.
I connected both the AC68U and the AC68P to my AC88U via an Ethernet Cable and retried adding them as nodes. They both were successfully added on the first try. After adding them via Ethernet they both work just fine on Wi-Fi only as well.

Last edited:
I will reiterate the advice above with regard to factory resetting the devices. Recommend the hardware reset button.

Had a similar setup problem to those above. Was on the on-line chat support line with Asus Tech Support and just noticed that they suggested pulling all the connected ethernet cables other than the WAN cable from the cable modem supplying the Internet service when resetting the device. Of course I have ethernet cables to switches and other devices coming out of the main router unit that is an RT-AC5300 in my setup.

After hard resetting with the reset buttons in the back of both the units, I successfully reloaded my configuration settings to the RT-AC5300 acting as Mesh Router and then added RT-AC68U as mesh node making sure to have no other ethernet cables plugged into any of the devices. This worked and got me up and running.

So two things that seemed to solve the problem for me were:

1) Factory Reset both devices with the hardware reset button (gui reset didn't seem to work for some reason).

2) Only plug in the Cable Modem (or whatever ethernet providing internet service you have) into the WAN port and leave all other ethernet ports on both devices unplugged. (I.E. NO ethernet cables plugged into any other ports.)

3) Then do your search / setup of the AIMesh device and you will be successful.

Just a note to expand on the hints contained here. I have a one master, four node AiMesh network using all RT-68U's. I had a problem whereby when I lose power to the house, I have to totally reset all nodes from scratch. Never quite solved that problem, but I put a UPS on the master so hopefully wont have the problem in the future.

I also had the same problem while re-configuring whereby when I try to connect a node, it finds the node, then rapidly runs through the 0-100% and claims unable to add node.

I had my full home LAN connected and used the same SSID's as the previously configured. I'm guessing that my master node router was busy with other traffic and thus adding the node failed. My successful setup is:

1. Full factory reset on all devices.

2. Configure the master node with a single cable to a computer with a browser pointed to 192.168.1.1 using the advanced mode of the GUI. Setup the SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 bands to a new, temporary name and password.

3. Connect the internet connection as usual to the master node.

4. Disconnect your computer from the LAN side.

4. Connect to the router via WiFi and the 192.168.1.1 address. I was then able to add the nodes successfully.

Once all configured, I'm able to change the SSID's back and reconnect the LAN side.

I got the same issue when I tried to add my 2 mesh nodes. (After 42% and quickly 100% I received an error message regarding temporarily being unable to add the router as an AiMesh node.
To fix this, just set a channel for 2.4ghz (ex:11) & 5ghz (ex:104) and you can let SmartConnect. I resolved this issue twice with two differents firmwares.
I hope that this helps.

Cheers.

The only thing I didn’t try was connecting the node routers to my AC88U via Ethernet cable as the original poster mentioned but never tried as he believed that would only allow them to function as a wired AiMesh node.
I connected both the AC68U and the AC68P to my AC88U via an Ethernet Cable and retried adding them as nodes. They both were successfully added on the first try. After adding them via Ethernet they both work just fine on Wi-Fi only as well.

I was facing the same issue as nyvram as well. I couldn't get either of my nodes to connect over Wi-Fi. Once the setup process reached ~51%, it would zip through to 100%, ending unsuccessfully.

With the AX11000 as my main router, I can confirm that setting up both of my RT-AC86U boxes as nodes via Ethernet cable, and then going wireless, works great. This saved me from having to reset either of the devices. Thanks!

Hi, I hope I can get some help in here as I've been searching like crazy.

I've owned a AC5300 rog router for a while, since I have lan cables going around the house to other routers set up as AP's my idea was to eventually buy to cheaper asus routers to replace those routers and set them up as nodes to my AC5300, that way I have one SSID around the house.

Well, I bought two AC66U routers, the ones that support AIMESH (they have a big AIMESH stamp in the box and the router has a front usb port, so I did buy the right ones) and before I even continue let me say that I've tried everything.

Downgrading firmwares in both router and nodes, upgrading them again, disconecting every lan cable from the router, switching on SSH, switching it off, etc.

The thing is once I put my hopeful future aimesh node close to my rog router, the router finds it fine, it shows up in the network map aread of the config utility but when I click add, the percentage numbers go up to 100% very quickly and gives me the "unable to add" message.

I am going crazy here, I know it's not hardware issue because I bought two of them and the routers seem to work fine as I set them up as access points connected to the main router without any problems, but that is not what I want, I already had that before.

I find it pretty frustrating that there isn't a way to sync the routers in a wired mode, I hooked up the routers with a lan cable and tried to add it that way and it still gives me the unable to add message. I can't return them because where I am installing them is in a different country than where I bought them so that is a pain in the butt.

I need some help with this. Please.

Thanks

Hi, I hope I can get some help in here as I've been searching like crazy.

I've owned a AC5300 rog router for a while, since I have lan cables going around the house to other routers set up as AP's my idea was to eventually buy to cheaper asus routers to replace those routers and set them up as nodes to my AC5300, that way I have one SSID around the house.

Well, I bought two AC66U routers, the ones that support AIMESH (they have a big AIMESH stamp in the box and the router has a front usb port, so I did buy the right ones) and before I even continue let me say that I've tried everything.

Downgrading firmwares in both router and nodes, upgrading them again, disconecting every lan cable from the router, switching on SSH, switching it off, etc.

The thing is once I put my hopeful future aimesh node close to my rog router, the router finds it fine, it shows up in the network map aread of the config utility but when I click add, the percentage numbers go up to 100% very quickly and gives me the "unable to add" message.

I am going crazy here, I know it's not hardware issue because I bought two of them and the routers seem to work fine as I set them up as access points connected to the main router without any problems, but that is not what I want, I already had that before.

I find it pretty frustrating that there isn't a way to sync the routers in a wired mode, I hooked up the routers with a lan cable and tried to add it that way and it still gives me the unable to add message. I can't return them because where I am installing them is in a different country than where I bought them so that is a pain in the butt.

I need some help with this. Please.

Thanks

The AC66Us do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so you will likely have to use separate SSIDs... which was not your plan.

I don't know why they will not join the AiMesh. Are all radios broadcasting?

OE

The AC66Us do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so you will likely have to use separate SSIDs... which was not your plan.

I don't know why they will not join the AiMesh. Are all radios broadcasting?

OE
Thanks for your reply. The ac66u does support aimesh. Just not all of them. Just newer versions.

You can check in this post

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac66u-b1-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-384-10007.43122/

It’s also stamped on the box of the router.

Thanks for your reply. The ac66u does support aimesh. Just not all of them. Just newer versions.

You can check in this post

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac66u-b1-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-384-10007.43122/

It’s also stamped on the box of the router.

You did not comprehend my previous post. Smart Connect is a router feature, except not on the ASUS AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 builds. If you use the same SSID for all bands, wireless clients may stick to one band when you might prefer them to connect to the other band. This has nothing to do with AiMesh... it only has to do with your desire to use the same single SSID with AiMesh... if your clients do not cooperate, don't blame AiMesh... blame the 66Us.

OE

You did not comprehend my previous post. Smart Connect is a router feature, except not on the ASUS AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 builds. If you use the same SSID for all bands, wireless clients may stick to one band when you might prefer them to connect to the other band. This has nothing to do with AiMesh... it only has to do with your desire to use the same single SSID with AiMesh... if your clients do not cooperate, don't blame AiMesh... blame the 66Us.

OE

Well, even so, I would still like to sync my router and get the 100%.

If aimesh doesn't just give me one SSID around the house then what benefit does these routers having aimesh give me that isn't exactly like an access point? I think you might be talking about which ssid to join between then 5ghz or 2.4 but the idea of aimesh is to have one SSID around the house and not 3 the way I have right now.

Well, even so, I would still like to sync my router and get the 100%.

If aimesh doesn't just give me one SSID around the house then what benefit does these routers having aimesh give me that isn't exactly like an access point? I think you might be talking about which ssid to join between then 5ghz or 2.4 but the idea of aimesh is to have one SSID around the house and not 3 the way I have right now.

I repeat, are all radios broadcasting? A missing radio broadcast might prohibit adding a node.

The wireless client ultimately decides which node and which node band to connect to. Router Roaming Assistant node steering encourages a client to connect to the closer/more powerful node/signal. Router Smart Connect node band steering encourages a client to connect to the better/faster band/signal/SSID. AiMesh without Smart Connect support across all nodes will likely require you to use separate SSIDs for each band and to perform node band steering manually by defining band/SSID specific connection(s) on each client.

As I see it, ASUS AiMesh is a worthwhile upgrade for centralized management with auto configuration of WLANs and wireless backhauls, extended WiFi coverage, full speed wireless backhauls, better same-SSID roaming, and use of routers as nodes. Scratch 'better same SSID roaming' if Smart Connect is not supported on some/all nodes. In your case, you will likely want two SSIDs, kuhne-24 and kuhne(-50).

OE

First he got 66U_B1 not 66U and B1 is same as 68U and supports Aimesh!
Second he uses WIRED backhaul, so there is no need for any Wifi at all to mesh them!

I think master and nodes are sold in different regions, thats why they cant connect as mesh, you need routers for same region to be able to mesh them.
Have a look at WiFi settings, do they all support same frequencies 1-11 (like US) or 1-13 (EU and rest of world) for 2G and in 5G one only ch. 36-128 (EU, Asia) and the other 149-165 (US) too?

You said you bought it in a different country so thats most likely the problem.
You could change region on your 66U to match with master router, but not allowed to talk about in this forum.

First he got 66U_B1 not 66U and B1 is same as 68U and supports Aimesh!
Second he uses WIRED backhaul, so there is no need for any Wifi at all to mesh them!

I think master and nodes are sold in different regions, thats why they cant connect as mesh, you need routers for same region to be able to mesh them.
Have a look at WiFi settings, do they all support same frequencies 1-11 (like US) or 1-13 (EU and rest of world) for 2G and in 5G one only ch. 36-128 (EU, Asia) and the other 149-165 (US) too?

You said you bought it in a different country so thats most likely the problem.
You could change region on your 66U to match with master router, but not allowed to talk about in this forum.

Correct. This router fully supports aimesh. I’m not sure about the ssid feature but regardless of that, my rog router should be able to find and add the 66u as a node. It does find it but it doesn’t add it.

All 3 routers were bought in the United States, the one set up as a mesh router and the two as nodes.

My problem is not with what aimesh can or cannot do at the moment. I wish I was at that point. My problem is following the set up instructions provided in the router box, to the letter, do not work. I get up to 3% slowly then it goes to 100 real quick and fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!