What's new

Solved SOLVED - my "grep" is broken - relocation error - Inconsistency detected by ld.so - GLIBC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wistuplu

Regular Contributor
Dear Forum,

Around the time of the install of 386_6 on my AC86U and subsequent reboot, grep broke on my system. I cannot invoke it in the shell, nor can scripts use it. (I can infer the timing of the issue thanks to the connmon script that started failing.)

After first install of 386_6 (and a few reboots), whenever grep is invoked:
relocation error: /opt/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: symbol memcpy@_Unwind_Ge�FR version GLIBC_2.17 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
(NB: Notice the funky character appearing right before FR near the middle of the line above. It was also visible in the shell.)

This issue seems similar to https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-defined-in-file-libc-so-6.70099/#post-661069
In that thread, the solution was to remove the failing package with opkg remove. In my case, I think that I cannot remove grep because there is no other grep on our systems (at least when I rename the file grep to grep_XXX, I can't invoke grep and get the expected grep functionality).

After second install of 386_6, I got messages like:
XXXXXX@AC86:/tmp/home/root# grep
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: get-dynamic-info.h: 124: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `info[DT_PLTREL]->d_un.d_val == DT_RELA' failed!

I get the same sort of messages with "column" (which is another utility, like grep, which I didn't know). I guess the same solution (if any) might apply to column but it's fishy I get both issues...

I tryed to reinstal grep, with opkg install grep --force-reinstall:
Code:
XXX@AC86:/tmp/home/root# opkg install grep --force-reinstall
Removing package grep from root...
Installing grep (3.6-1a) to root...
Downloading http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/grep_3.6-1a_aarch64-3.10.ipk
Configuring grep.
XXXX@AC86:/tmp/home/root#
but I still get the same "Inconsistency detected" message.

Any specific ideas ? (beyond nuking it ;-)

Thank you very much in advance
Take care
W.

Last edited:
Hello Dave,

Sorry, while you were writing, I found a few more threads and reinstalled entware from amtm (I guess I used "ep" in amtm but I'm not sure. I did that after nuking the previous entware).

I should have been more patient because your approach seems much more subtle... Thank you very much.

Thanks to your input, I also understand now that there is one grep from /bin, from the firmware; and another in /opt/bin (which points to the USB stick) from entware.

Take care
Best regards
W.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!