What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Jack. Could you tell me what would be the most simple way to get these scripts up and running again if I had to replace my router (not that I'm expecting to have to do so for quite some time as I've only just bought it)? I have backed up the jffs partition as I first step.

While a backup is great, I hardly recommend using it past the feeling that you can go back to a specific (exact) previous version of the firmware on the same hardware.

The amtm Step-by-Step Guide is all you need to properly set up the scripts you use. Particularly on a new router and most likely upgraded scripts, firmware and other variables that backups cannot account for.

When a fresh install takes all of 15 minutes, I don't see the value of possibly introducing errors from an older (or from other hardware) backup.

See the signature in my link for the amtm (and other) guides too. :)

Hi Jack. Could you tell me what would be the most simple way to get these scripts up and running again if I had to replace my router (not that I'm expecting to have to do so for quite some time as I've only just bought it)? I have backed up the jffs partition as I first step.
The files in /jffs/addons/scriptfoldernamehere are what you need to backup, namely the db file and any config files (varies from script to script)

Rt-ac68u oced to 1200/800 with fans on the back using this app the max download speed I can get is 300mbit from my 500mbit line.. When I do a speed test on pc I get full speed, is this normal?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Rt-ac68u oced to 1200/800 with fans on the back using this app the max download speed I can get is 300mbit from my 500mbit line.. When I do a speed test on pc I get full speed, is this normal?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
That sounds about right for that router. Feel free to send feedback to Ookla on https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli to make the test multi-threaded etc. :)

I backed up my router's settings by saving the file.

Made some changes experimenting with DNS-TLS. Wasn't satisfied with the outcome so I restored my previously saved settings.

One thing I noticed with the latest version of spdMerlin was that after reloading my settings the speed test for the WAN was fine and all historical data was there, the setting to test VPN client 1 and VPN Client 3 was gone. Went into spdMerlin and re-enabled with no problem but all the historical data was gone for the VPN clients.

Might be something to look at and see if there is an easy fix so that spdMerlin remembers if you had tests enabled on various VPN clients.

Thanks. Keep up the great work.

I backed up my router's settings by saving the file.

Made some changes experimenting with DNS-TLS. Wasn't satisfied with the outcome so I restored my previously saved settings.

One thing I noticed with the latest version of spdMerlin was that after reloading my settings the speed test for the WAN was fine and all historical data was there, the setting to test VPN client 1 and VPN Client 3 was gone. Went into spdMerlin and re-enabled with no problem but all the historical data was gone for the VPN clients.

Might be something to look at and see if there is an easy fix so that spdMerlin remembers if you had tests enabled on various VPN clients.

Thanks. Keep up the great work.
There's hidden files in the /jffs/addons directory that stores which interfaces you have chosen. Stats shouldn't have been lost, they're stored in separate tables of the SQLite db

Hidden because they're not meant to be manually edited by users

There's hidden files in the /jffs/addons directory that stores which interfaces you have chosen. Stats shouldn't have been lost, they're stored in separate tables of the SQLite db

Hidden because they're not meant to be manually edited by users

OK. I have guests this weekend but when they leave I will try and replicate the situation by reloading the settings file and see if the logging reestablishes itself and/or the data files vanish just for the VPN clients or if they don't let you know if it was just a fluke.

OK. I have guests this weekend but when they leave I will try and replicate the situation by reloading the settings file and see if the logging reestablishes itself and/or the data files vanish just for the VPN clients or if they don't let you know if it was just a fluke.

One additional update. Because of data cap issues I limited the speed tests to only running for two hours daily. When the tests ran this evening all the historical data reappeared.

Only issue to still test is if after a reload of settings the WAN and VPN tests are setup or if I need to go into the spdMerlin and re-enable them.

I ran another series of tests today and the list of interfaces selected in addition to the WAN for speed tests do not survive the following:

1. Reloading settings file
2. Upgrading from Alpha1 - Alpha2
3. Firmware initiated reboot

More details attached.

The historical data files are not lost but reappear when speed test are being run.

Attachments

• spdMerlin.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 139
I ran another series of tests today and the list of interfaces selected in addition to the WAN for speed tests do not survive the following:

1. Reloading settings file
2. Upgrading from Alpha1 - Alpha2
3. Firmware initiated reboot

More details attached.

The historical data files are not lost but reappear when speed test are being run.
I know why this is, my error checking code trying to be too clever. I have some ideas about resolving, I'll add to my list.

I know why this is, my error checking code trying to be too clever. I have some ideas about resolving, I'll add to my list.

OK. Thanks.
Not a big deal to fix on the users end once you know what happened. First time you look at the charts and they are gone for everything but the WAN you can quickly go into the spdMerlin app and reselect the additional interfaces.

If you know how to edit the script you can change the cron job schedule, I have no plans at this time to implement other frequencies.

v3.2.0 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
Add table showing last 10 speedtest results
Fix VPN interfaces being excluded on reboot
Hi Jack, I just did the update to v3.2.0 using amtm built in (FW version, alpha 2) running on an AX88U. The web page is not showing any graphs. I did a reboot then a forced update. Again, no graphs are appearing.
Looking forward to the table!