What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

According to your quote you are looking under “Tools”. Did you look on the “Firewall” tab?
Yes.

Finally got it going with a factory reset. Will apply to AC86 all is good.

Last edited:
Very nice tool. Just installed on my AC68U. No issues.

Had a quick look through the 24 pages and maybe missed, but is there a file available from SSH with stats/results that can be exported to the network (NFS/CIFS) or to an attached USB key?

Using this tool to gather stats on a new microwave link that we have set up between two locations.

Cheers all

Had a quick look through the 24 pages and maybe missed, but is there a file available from SSH with stats/results that can be exported to the network (NFS/CIFS) or to an attached USB key?

Using this tool to gather stats on a new microwave link that we have set up between two locations.

Cheers all
There's an sqlite db stored in /jffs/addons/spdMerlin.d

[QUOTE

Cheers all
There's an sqlite db stored in /jffs/addons/spdMerlin.d][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. This is indeed useful for what we want to do.

One question, it is my understanding that the /jffs directory is in NOVRAM. If so, then am I correct in thinking that the sqlite database, being in the /jffs directory is being written to (NOVRAM) twice an hour if on a cron schedule? If so, not really a desirable thing. Has anyone tried moving the /jffs/addons/spdMerlin.d directory to a mouted USB drive and create a symbolic link in /jffs/addons? This to avoid an early death to the NOVRAM area.

Cheers

One question, it is my understanding that the /jffs directory is in NOVRAM. If so, then am I correct in thinking that the sqlite database, being in the /jffs directory is being written to (NOVRAM) twice an hour if on a cron schedule? If so, not really a desirable thing. Has anyone tried moving the /jffs/addons/spdMerlin.d directory to a mouted USB drive and create a symbolic link in /jffs/addons? This to avoid an early death to the NOVRAM area.

Cheers
The flash chips in the routers can sustain many many many writes, this has been covered many times before

A symlink will probably be wiped out by my script. I can look to add storing on USB if people are really that concerned. The syslog exists on jffs, after all :)

The flash chips in the routers can sustain many many many writes, this has been covered many times before

A symlink will probably be wiped out by my script. I can look to add storing on USB if people are really that concerned. The syslog exists on jffs, after all :)

Good point about the syslog. Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for asking a question that has been hashed about before. Your script is very useful to us the test the long term viability of a radio link.

I have a nightly cron job set up to copy the stat file to the USB drive so I can use the file from windows, so I got a work around.

Cheers

Hi, great tool.

I have a second router running in bridge mode. Is it possible to run the test from that router using the LAN connection as WAN port is not being used.

Many thanks.

Spud Merlin?

merlin_s.jpg

I've just installed this on my RT-AX88U and it seems to be working, but I've only had one test result so-far, so no points to show on the graph as yet. Also, I won't get sensible results until the iDrive backup app on my Synology NAS has finished uploading all my data to the cloud, which looks as though it's going to take about 1-2 weeks at the present rate of transfer (~2 MB/s) and running 24/7.

I can confirm that it's definitely working.
Screenshot - 11_01_2020 , 16_34_41.png

Hi, great tool.

I have a second router running in bridge mode. Is it possible to run the test from that router using the LAN connection as WAN port is not being used.

Many thanks.

It should work without any modifications. When I was testing the scripts on my lab setup AC1900P it was running in a triple NAT setup. The spdMerlin worked fine. Skynet also worked but of course there were not any blocks as the upstream router caught everything.

It should work without any modifications. When I was testing the scripts on my lab setup AC1900P it was running in a triple NAT setup. The spdMerlin worked fine. Skynet also worked but of course there were not any blocks as the upstream router caught everything.

I get an error of “cannot retrieve configuration document”
Error near line 3 near “,” syntax error

Hi, does this error message mean anything to anyone. I have uninstalled and reinstalled

[2020-01-11 21:51:46.762] [error] Configuration - Timeout was reached (TimeoutException)[2020-01-11 21:51:46.762] [error] Configuration - Cannot retrieve configuration document (0)[2020-01-11 21:51:46.762] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)[2020-01-11 21:51:46.763] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)[error] Configuration - Could not retrieve or read configuration (ConfigurationError)Error: near line 3: near ",": syntax error

Hi, does this error message mean anything to anyone. I have uninstalled and reinstalled

[2020-01-11 21:51:46.762] [error] Configuration - Timeout was reached (TimeoutException)[2020-01-11 21:51:46.762] [error] Configuration - Cannot retrieve configuration document (0)[2020-01-11 21:51:46.762] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)[2020-01-11 21:51:46.763] [error] ConfigurationError - Could not retrieve or read configuration (Configuration)[error] Configuration - Could not retrieve or read configuration (ConfigurationError)Error: near line 3: near ",": syntax error
which router and firmware?