What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Something Is not working properly, as the configurable of only do this at certain hour is getting ignored

View attachment 22236 View attachment 22237

It is ignoring the setting and just doing a speediest every half an hour. Sometimes it works, and some other times like this one it won't. It Is happening on a AC68U and on two AC87U

If I change the hours to 3 and 4, or 3 and 5, the result is the same
show me the output of
Code:
cru l

please

show me the output of
Code:
cru l

please
Hi, sure

In the AC68U:
Code:
cru 1

Cron Utility
add:    cru a <unique id> <"min hour day month week command">
delete: cru d <unique id>
list:   cru l

JC1@AC68U-RVDZ:/tmp/home/root#

And from one of the AC87U is the same.

Maybe the cron job is not getting created correctly and it Is using the default one? Thanks

Hi, sure

In the AC68U:
Code:
cru 1

Cron Utility
add:    cru a <unique id> <"min hour day month week command">
delete: cru d <unique id>
list:   cru l

And from one of the AC87U is the same.

Maybe the cron job is not getting created correctly and it Is using the default one? Thanks
The letter l. Not a 1...

The letter l. Not a 1...
Sorry, quarantine is doing nothing but wrong to me.

Here it is, from the AC68U:
Code:
JC1@AC68U-RVDZ:/tmp/home/root# cru l

0 * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats generate #uiDivStats#
14 23 */7 * * service restart_letsencrypt #LetsEncrypt#
00 2 * * Sun sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
20 5 * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/rotate-logs.div #Diversion_RotateLogs#
20 17 * * * diversion count_ads count #Diversion_CountAds#
20,50 3-23,0-3 * * * /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin generate #spdMerlin#

From one of the AC87U:
Code:
aoffice-bog@RT-AC87R-E4F0:/tmp/home/root# cru l

*/2 * * * * /etc/openvpn/server1/vpns-watchdog1.sh #CheckVPNServer1#
00 2 * * Fri sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
20,50 05-23,0-05 * * * /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin generate #spdMerlin#

aoffice-bog@RT-AC87R-E4F0:/tmp/home/root#
Thanks

Sorry, quarantine is doing nothing but wrong to me.

Here it is, from the AC68U:
Code:

00 2 * * Sun sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
20,50 3-23,0-3 * * * /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin generate #spdMerlin#

From one of the AC87U:
Code:
aoffice-bog@RT-AC87R-E4F0:/tmp/home/root# cru l

*/2 * * * * /etc/openvpn/server1/vpns-watchdog1.sh #CheckVPNServer1#
00 2 * * Fri sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
20,50 05-23,0-05 * * * /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin generate #spdMerlin#

aoffice-bog@RT-AC87R-E4F0:/tmp/home/root#
Thanks
Ok and can you show me the corresponding settings in spdmerlin for each please?

and can you show me the corresponding settings in spdmerlin for each please
Sure, for the AC68U is

Do it from 3 to 3 (doesn't change if I set it to 3 to or 3 to 5)
Every half an hour

For the AC87U:

Do it from 5 to 5
Every half an hour

The only thing different from your script factory settings, is that I have pre-chosen a server - option 4 (The default ISP), everything remains the same.

Sure, for the AC68U is

Do it from 3 to 3 (doesn't change if I set it to 3 to or 3 to 5)
Every half an hour

For the AC87U:

Do it from 5 to 5
Every half an hour

The only thing different from your script factory settings, is that I have pre-chosen a server - option 4 (The default ISP), everything remains the same.
Setting the number to the same is doing the full 24 hours (maybe it shouldnt, i can tweak that). set one for 3 to 5 then show me cru l again please

Setting the number to the same is doing the full 24 hours (maybe it shouldnt, i can tweak that). set one for 3 to 5 then show me cru l again please
Sure its ok

After I set the time as you told me via terminal, cru l looks like this on AC68U:
Code:

30,60 3-5 * * * /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin generate #spdMerlin#

I think that this somehow changes over time, like when it triggers, it adds the extra numbers and just continues to do the speedtest. It will start at the hour set, but sometimes it finishes an hour after or never like today

Yeah it was mentioned in the main post. CPU is not fast enough to give proper readings past a point. I have gig internet so sadly I cant use this. Damn nice plugin though.

With the new version of spdmerlin that uses the Ookla based test I have no problems hitting 900+ Mbps.

upload_2020-3-28_17-18-0.png

With the new version of spdmerlin that uses the Ookla based test I have no problems hitting 900+ Mbps.

Just curious if you go into the system logs how much data does each of your test use at that speed? At my download of 238 Mbps I use between 240 - 300 MB of data for each test for WAN and a little less for VPN clients.

I'm getting a timeout error when going through a vpn and using spdmerlin. Speedtest.net itself works fine. Anyone knows why this might be?

@Jack Yaz

I'm a newbie to spdMerlin, installed (via AMTM) for 1st time just now ... latest v3.3.1

Basically seems to be working (RT-AC86U, merlin 384.16 Beta 2)) but when I try to do an Option 4 to choose my preferred Speedtest server:-

Code:
4.    Choose a preferred server for WAN (for automatic speedtests)
      Current server: None configured

I get hundreds and hundreds of the following line repeated until I manually abort with Ctrl-C

Code:
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin: line 1685: jq: not found 109)

I have tried an uninstall/reinstall (via AMTM) but continue to get the errors.
GUI stats have started to work, but presumably with the Automatic selected server?

Can you (or some other kind and knowledgeable user) please steer me in the right direction as to what needs fixing?

Thanks in advance, and love your work!

Edit:

Apologies, fixed this by doing the below, already answered by @Jack Yaz in Post #599

Code:
opkg update && opkg remove --autoremove jq && opkg install jq

My initial search didn’t find an answer, but I then trawled through all the pages of this thread manually and found the above.
I’ll try and get better at Searching in these Forums, promise!
:)

Last edited:
I'm getting a timeout error when going through a vpn and using spdmerlin. Speedtest.net itself works fine. Anyone knows why this might be?

Are you running the VPN on the router or on a PC?
If you are running the VPN client on the router are you using policy based routing?

With more information perhaps including router type and firmware version perhaps someone can make some suggestions.

Feature Request!!!

RT-AC3100
Ver: 384.16 Beta2

I have a VPN Client installed and have configured it to connect to a pool of 12 servers at random with every start.
I was wondering if it would be possible to capture the VPN Client Remote that I used when running a test on the VPN Client.
The name of the VPN Client connected to is stored in a file: /tmp/etc/openvpn/client1/status

The entry in the fie is: REMOTE,xxx.xxx.xxxx.xxx:501,Static_Key
or: REMOTE vpn.someurl.com.:1198,Static_Key

I want to compare the speeds of each server and if one is significantly slower eliminate it.

Thanks,
Don

P.S. I have( I pay for) Gig internet and my speeds are 500Mbps. I saw stuff about processor speeds. When the service was first installed I connected my PC directly to the Cable Modem via wired gigabit and got ~980Mbps
Then bridged the Cable Modem and connected the router.

Oh and one more request... Can the test have the option to run once an hour or once every 2 hours or 3 hours??

Last edited:
Hi,
When trying to select a different server to perform speedtest, I'm.only able to select the 10 closest. If I want one specific, which is listed in speedtest like i3D.net Sao Paulo, but don't know it's IP.
How can I expand the list of server options to select it?

Thanks!

Just curious if you go into the system logs how much data does each of your test use at that speed? At my download of 238 Mbps I use between 240 - 300 MB of data for each test for WAN and a little less for VPN clients.

upload_2020-3-31_18-12-59.png

Hi,
When trying to select a different server to perform speedtest, I'm.only able to select the 10 closest. If I want one specific, which is listed in speedtest like i3D.net Sao Paulo, but don't know it's IP.
How can I expand the list of server options to select it?

Thanks!
You need to manually assign the server by its server id. 21568 in your case
https://www.speedtestserver.com/