What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Small correction: the spdMerlin script I've tried was on an RT-AC68U, not my RT-AC86U (yet). :)
Well there goes my "Sherlock" skills....didn't even have them for a second it seemed. o_O

Will this script limited by external drive I/O speed? I installed similar script previously on my router and I could get ~500mbps download speed at best due to my 5400rpm hard drive I/O constraint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would be surprised to hear it use the drive. I think it uses RAM. ;)

Nope. The unistall PLUS opkg update PLUS install curl did not update the tabs. I have a feeling that the graphs may not update either. Have not seen a single dot on the graphs. I guess, I will wait and see if they update.

Nope. The unistall PLUS opkg update PLUS install curl did not update the tabs. I have a feeling that the graphs may not update either. Have not seen a single dot on the graphs. I guess, I will wait and see if they update.

When I saw the first signs of life was at the XX:10 and XX:40 minute marks on the RT-AC68U. :)

Could it possibly be an issue with the model coding since your on a 88 while L&LD and I are on a 86u? (Thinking out loud here, not a programmer by any means but trying to use my "Sherlock" skills. ;)

Oh I thought you were installing in a AX88U....

Could it possibly be an issue with the model coding since your on a 88 while L&LD and I are on a 86u?

Yes, it is very possible. I saw that AC86U was the only model supported for the time being but I thought of experimenting with AX88U (due to architecture similarities)....

Yes, it is very possible. I saw that AC86U was the only model supported for the time being but I thought of experimenting with AX88U (due to architecture similarities)....

From the GitHub page.

Supported Models
Models
All modes supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. Models confirmed to work are below:

• RT-AC86U

From the first post in this thread.

THIS SHOULD BE TREATED AS A BETA

This script uses a fairly large chunk of RAM/memory when the speedtest is running, and as such a swap file is required

I have only tested this on AC86U, your mileage may vary with older models with less RAM/memory

The speedtest is scheduled to run at 10 past and 40 past the hour, every hour

:D:D:D

I think anyone using VOIP or anyone that is into heavy streaming like I am will find this script a pain in the rear, as it saturates the pipe when a test is done, causing at the very least streaming interruptions and VOIP issues. Am I getting this wrong or?

If you could run it on demand and collect stats to generate the graphs, that would be cool. ;):)

Curious to know how the results of the tool compare to the results of speed test web sites.

If you could run it on demand and collect stats to generate the graphs, that would be cool. ;):)

I could see using this with a schedule (eg. run all night till 6 AM) to collect this data and use that info to let me set up QoS much more accurately. :)

Curious to know how the results of the tool compare to the results of speed test web sites.

So far, the download is matched pretty well whether on the router or from a wired computer. The upload though is only about a quarter of a recent (hardware-wise), computer-based speedtest run. On a 100/100Mbps Fibre connection.

I thought this may have been the case on older routers (such as on the RT-AC68U I'm testing it on). Still, I need to try it on my RT-AC86U though with 1Gbps up/down Fibre connection to see if the hardware bump improves things (at least for uploads).

Script noob here. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I copied and pasted the install line the same way I did with the Diversion/pixelserv-tls and it did not seem to install correctly.

I see the mention to run 'opkg update' in the error messages. I am leery to do this as I remember reading a post not to long ago where someone ran that and it screwed up their Diversion/pixelserv-tls install. Perhaps this is a different scenario?

Fast forward...I went into Diversion>pixelsrv-tls>manage Entware and update installed packages (how often should I be doing this?). That seemed to do the trick as spdMerlin seemed to install correctly and then this.....

spdMerlin: Starting speedtest now...

ERROR:root:code for hash md5 was not found.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 147, in <module>
File "/opt/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 97, in __get_builtin_constructor
ValueError: unsupported hash type md5
ERROR:root:code for hash sha1 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha1
ERROR:root:code for hash sha224 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha224
ERROR:root:code for hash sha256 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha256
ERROR:root:code for hash sha384 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha384
ERROR:root:code for hash sha512 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha512
File "/jffs/scripts/spdcli.py", line 126, in <module>
from md5 import md5
File "/opt/lib/python2.7/md5.py", line 10, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name md5
spdMerlin: Finished speedtest

Script noob here. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I copied and pasted the install line the same way I did with the Diversion/pixelserv-tls and it did not seem to install correctly.

I see the mention to run 'opkg update' in the error messages. I am leery to do this as I remember reading a post not to long ago where someone ran that and it screwed up their Diversion/pixelserv-tls install. Perhaps this is a different scenario?

Fast forward...I went into Diversion>pixelsrv-tls>manage Entware and update installed packages (how often should I be doing this?). That seemed to do the trick as spdMerlin seemed to install correctly and then this.....

spdMerlin: Starting speedtest now...

ERROR:root:code for hash md5 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type md5
ERROR:root:code for hash sha1 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha1
ERROR:root:code for hash sha224 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha224
ERROR:root:code for hash sha256 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha256
ERROR:root:code for hash sha384 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha384
ERROR:root:code for hash sha512 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha512
File "/jffs/scripts/spdcli.py", line 126, in <module>
from md5 import md5
File "/opt/lib/python2.7/md5.py", line 10, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name md5
spdMerlin: Finished speedtest
Same issue here.

I did 6. update and upgrade installed packages and that did the trick. Thanks!

I'm going to remove the manual libzz2 package install and add opkg update instead

Note that this isn't upgrade so I'm not messing with your installation, but any people with package errors should try the usual opkg update iplg upgrade routine before reporting issues

I can make the schedule optional but please note that the graphs only expect data every 30 minutes, so running the test manually may not produce anything useful

Weird how it's flooding your connection, I've had it running for a couple of days and not had a single interruption in my games. I suspect its probably memory related, and depends on what your router is doing at a given time