What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Snoopotic, the CPU on the router isn't powerful enough. :)

Even the RT-AX88U with 4x 1.8GHz cores can't show me my symmetrical 1Gbps Fibre speeds, but an i7 desktop (wired) can.

My 86U has no problems reporting 900+ Mbps using spdMerlin. My setup is ONT>ethernet cord>86U and NO PPPoE.

@doczenith1, just ran an auto selected speedtest again via spdMerlin and got the highest I've ever seen, but still not what I'm able to get on my desktop.

The 670Mbps download and 772Mbps upload are much improved over the older versions of this script, but still not enough for me to rely on.

Btw, are you using a USB 'key' or an SSD as your amtm drive?

I'm using an OCZ Diesel 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model OCZUSBDSL8G that Newegg tells me I ordered in 2009. It didn't get much use until I got brave and jumped into the scripts arena about two years or so ago. At the time I think it was recommended to format ext2 so that's how it is formatted. It's been a while since I uninstalled spdMerlin. I'll install it and confirm that I am still getting those speeds.

So indeed spdMerlin is not quite as fast as running the CLI on my Windows desktop. I have seen 800+ upload using spdMerlin on occasion. And, the fastest server for me is not included in the ten servers that spdMerlin presents. I found it by trial and error using the web interface I believe.

spdMerlin
1595543748013.png

Windows CLI
1595543773837.png

Attachments

• 1595543761935.png
    1595543761935.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 328
Any feature requests for v4? May as well get them in now while I'm working on it :)
Integrate with cake-qos to test without the bandwidth limits. You could maybe set cake-qos to unlimited for the duration of the speed test, but of course any latency/bufferbloat testing would need the limits re-applied.

Integrate with cake-qos to test without the bandwidth limits. You could maybe set cake-qos to unlimited for the duration of the speed test, but of course any latency/bufferbloat testing would need the limits re-applied.
would starting and stopping cake-qos not be better, as this can be done directly at command line, whereas config changes cannot? config changes would also require backing up and restoring chosen cake parameters, adding complexity.

note im not a cake user, my 550mbps connection is more than cake can handle on my 86u.

would starting and stopping cake-qos not be better, as this can be done directly at command line, whereas config changes cannot? config changes would also require backing up and restoring chosen cake parameters, adding complexity.

note im not a cake user, my 550mbps connection is more than cake can handle on my 86u.
Yes, thinking simply I agree.

So indeed spdMerlin is not quite as fast as running the CLI on my Windows desktop. I have seen 800+ upload using spdMerlin on occasion. And, the fastest server for me is not included in the ten servers that spdMerlin presents. I found it by trial and error using the web interface I believe.

spdMerlin
View attachment 24863

Windows CLI
View attachment 24865

I ran spdMerlin for a week or so and can report that it is capable of 900+ on the 86U.

1595991496153.png

for my admin overview purposes at-a-glance, spdMerlin is a representative 'heartbeat' of connectivity and bandwidth speed - and relative to itself over time, it's an adequate metric tool... when the numbers dip towards the floor, I know I have a issue/problem that needs further investigation... thx, Jack...

Click on the 'download' text in the legend and it will only show upload for you. :)

@EventPhotoMan, the device you're using to view it is more limiting than the graph. :)

@Jack Yaz - as part of your update/upgrade for this really useful utility - any chance you could include - just below the "Run speedtest" button [?] - a Toggle select for turning automatic speedtests ON or OFF [Item 6 of your script menu]. 90%+ of the time I SSH to your script menu it is to do no more than toggle on or toggle off.

Pretty sure that'll be the most common reason for folks to hit your SSH menu after configuring ;).

@Jack Yaz - as part of your update/upgrade for this really useful utility - any chance you could include - just below the "Run speedtest" button [?] - a Toggle select for turning automatic speedtests ON or OFF [Item 6 of your script menu]. 90%+ of the time I SSH to your script menu it is to do no more than toggle on or toggle off.

Pretty sure that'll be the most common reason for folks to hit your SSH menu after configuring ;).
V4 has this and more

Any feature requests for v4? May as well get them in now while I'm working on it :)

Yes here :)

Maybe there is already a solution that I missed.

Since spdMerlin is run regularly/scheduled, my traffic statistics look distorted because the spdMerlin traffic is simply counted (additional to the normal network generated traffic).

Basically, I no longer know how much daily / monthly traffic our network has generated since spdMerlin was used.

If I remember correctly, spdMerlin generates about 1-1.5 TB of traffic per month.

At the moment it is difficult for me to detect unusual amount of traffic generated by the network itself.

Did I miss something?

Or is this something for the V4/V5/other project wish list?

I beleive this would be 100 percent dependent on the ISP provided speed. One speedtest for me uses around 1.6-1.8 GB.

An option to mask out the spdMerlin traffic would therefore be helpful.

But I understand the implications.

Thanks!

I recently changed my ISP service to 500/500, and wired clients are able to get that speed through the RT-AC88U (and more). However, spdMerlin is not able to get over 200/200. Is this just a limitation of the CPU on the router, or is it an indication of something wrong?