What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are there any general suggestions as to how to re-enable the gui graph section if it goes missing? Not sure what caused it but the entire Addons-tab disappeared around the time I installed Unbound Manager. I also can no longer find uiDivStats, but it could be that I forgot which sub tab of a tab it's reported (I did check most of them tho).

Edit: looking at logs it seems there's a problem syncing with ntp. Checking ntpMerlin it appears to bump into a lock file whatever option I try to run. Not sure why that would remove the tab from the gui tho. Anyway, when I tried a reinstall, I got a bunch of errors, looked like some missing lines of code during uninstallation, and at reinstall I got a bunch of ``SQLite header and source version mismatch`` errors, followed by ``dos2unix: can't open '/jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d/csv/*.htm': No such file or directory`` and ``cp: can't stat '/jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d/csv/*.htm': No such file or directory``. (I assume I was able to replicate the error messages by running the "Generate updated ntpMerlin graphs now" script in amtm, since the errors looked awfully similar (the ones that popped up during install got cleared very quickly).) I'll check syslog later to verify that spdMerlin still gets ntp problems.

Edit 2: Look at that, addons tab is back. Presumably I'm gonna need to solve those errors that popped up in ntpMerlin tho? Reinstall the SQLite database file? But how?

Last edited:
Got spdMerlin installed.

How do I see what test location it's using for tests or is it automatic depending on distance and/or ping ?

@Daveo, go to amtm and go to the spdMerlin script.

Hi Jack

Having issues getting my page tabs loaded in Addons - Tabs are missing and the following common errors occur in SpdMerlin UIDivStats and also Unbound stats tab.

sed: can't move '/tmp/menuTree.jsAN9cmi' to '/tmp/menuTree.js': Device or resource busy
sed: can't move '/tmp/menuTree.jsp6ey2t' to '/tmp/menuTree.js': Device or resource busy

Any idea how to overcome this error and get my tabs back? Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and also tried to delete /tmp/menuTree.js but i cant seem to delete it.

PS- A Router reboot fixed it !!!

Last edited:
Jack, it appears that the Entware upgrade (which is fairly large) updates ntpd which, from what I can tell, overwrites your version of /opt/etc/init.d/S77ntpd.

Heads up ;-)

Hello - what are max speeds that spdMerlin can process, I am observing speeds tests running on spdMerlin lower than on my PC connected via WiFi to this roture testing through Ookla website.
I think I am hitting spdMerlin bottlenecks.

Perhaps it is unable to data received at high speeds, is it multi-threaded?

It keeps giving false stats for download speeds. Upload is accurate.
Dowload around 670 from my WiFi client.
TimeDownload (Mbps)Upload (Mbps)
2020-09-15 11:12:18367.44110.21
2020-09-15 10:42:18362.59110.32
2020-09-15 10:12:19366.09109.29
2020-09-15 09:42:18365.41109.96
2020-09-15 09:12:19361.86109.19

I will be switching it off as no value in this information.

It keeps giving false stats for download speeds. Upload is accurate.
Dowload around 670 from my WiFi client.
TimeDownload (Mbps)Upload (Mbps)
2020-09-15 11:12:18367.44110.21
2020-09-15 10:42:18362.59110.32
2020-09-15 10:12:19366.09109.29
2020-09-15 09:42:18365.41109.96
2020-09-15 09:12:19361.86109.19

I will be switching it off as no value in this information.
From post #1

spdMerlin uses SpeedTest CLI
If the speeds from this utility are significantly lower than those you see from the desktop app/browser test, the limiting factor will be your router's CPU. That being said, there is probably room for improvement/optimisation by the Ookla team in the CLI binary itself. Please direct feedback about speed issues to Ookla via the above link. There is nothing that I can do about them.

fwiw i get 450-550 on my 86u
Interesting, perhaps it is something else or just AX88U bug. Or something non-standard like IPv6 or unbound
Or home PC is lying - though I have tried HyperOptic test and it also came around 680.
Wow it keeps growing 771 just now, BT 1Gb package is nice. Perhaps they throttle if test is run from a router.

One thing worth testing is running the test on a different cpu core (using taskset), to see if maybe the applet is fighting for CPU with NAT/routing on the same core.

One thing worth testing is running the test on a different cpu core (using taskset), to see if maybe the applet is fighting for CPU with NAT/routing on the same core.
Make no difference really just the utilisation of a different core jumps from 0-5% to 100%.
Code:
taskset -c 0x00000002 ./speedtest
Interestingly hex numbers to do not match cores on Web UI and appears no way to choose to Core 1

Make no difference really just the utilisation of a different core jumps from 0-5% to 100%.
Code:
taskset -c 0x00000002 ./speedtest
Interestingly hex numbers to do not match cores on Web UI and appears no way to choose to Core 1
Code:
taskset -cp 1 ./speedtest

is NAT/routing always bound to a particular core, e.g. 0?

Not that I know, especially with HND platforms where stuff gets split between multiple processes. Was suggesting testing just to determine if it does make a difference or not.

Hello - what are max speeds that spdMerlin can process, I am observing speeds tests running on spdMerlin lower than on my PC connected via WiFi to this roture testing through Ookla website.
I think I am hitting spdMerlin bottlenecks.

This is on my AC86U. With high speed connections your results can vary widely depending on what test server you connect to (as seen in my results). I suggest manually trying each server in the list accessed via SSH and spdmerlin option 3 and then set that as your preferred server.

1600209305095.png