What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin causes router to reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

To elaborate more, I am interested in knowing that the commands that SpdMerlin uses to turn off QoS fir the test are still working on your model of router.

You can disable or enable both running a speed test with QoS and auto update the bandwidths. @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow is saying to check off the box for exclude QoS from speed merlin.
If I understand the question. As per append #72, never been changed from the spdmerlin default of "Yes" to "No".

1692382685709.png

OK, missed that. So, it is possible that QosS is not getting turned off then.

To elaborate more, I am interested in knowing that the commands that SpdMerlin uses to turn off QoS fir the test are still working on your model of router.
To simplify, I would suggest commenting out any iptables command that doesn’t contain mangle and OUTPUT together in the same line.
Code:
#iptables "$ACTION" OUTPUT -p "$proto" -o "$(Get_Interface_From_Name WAN)" -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
#iptables "$ACTION" OUTPUT -p "$proto" -o tun1+ -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
iptables -t mangle "$ACTION" OUTPUT -p "$proto" -o "$(Get_Interface_From_Name WAN)" -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
#iptables -t mangle "$ACTION" POSTROUTING -p "$proto" -o "$(Get_Interface_From_Name WAN)" -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
iptables -t mangle "$ACTION" OUTPUT -p "$proto" -o tun1+ -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
#iptables -t mangle "$ACTION" POSTROUTING -p "$proto" -o tun1+ -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
The script is assigning download marks to upload traffic so that it doesn’t get recognized by the htb filters on upload. Adaptive QoS never sees the download test traffic, except in sending the TCP ACKs back as upload traffic.

OK, missed that. So, it is possible that QosS is not getting turned off then.
I agree, the spdmerlin panel function isn't (or appears to be) disabling QoS. if you manually disable QoS then scheduled spdmerlin tests run without rebooting the AXE16000. I haven't checked on the AXE16000 in last few days, as out of country and didn't have time to setup remote access to it. Back Saturday night.

To simplify, I would suggest commenting out any iptables command that doesn’t contain mangle and OUTPUT together in the same line.
Code:
#iptables "$ACTION" OUTPUT -p "$proto" -o "$(Get_Interface_From_Name WAN)" -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
#iptables "$ACTION" OUTPUT -p "$proto" -o tun1+ -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
iptables -t mangle "$ACTION" OUTPUT -p "$proto" -o "$(Get_Interface_From_Name WAN)" -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
#iptables -t mangle "$ACTION" POSTROUTING -p "$proto" -o "$(Get_Interface_From_Name WAN)" -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
iptables -t mangle "$ACTION" OUTPUT -p "$proto" -o tun1+ -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
#iptables -t mangle "$ACTION" POSTROUTING -p "$proto" -o tun1+ -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 2>/dev/null
The script is assigning download marks to upload traffic so that it doesn’t get recognized by the htb filters on upload. Adaptive QoS never sees the download test traffic, except in sending the TCP ACKs back as upload traffic.
Thanks Dave. This is useful. I won't be home yet for another month and a bit to start to play. Even then the job pile is starting to growwwwww....

I agree, the spdmerlin panel function isn't (or appears to be) disabling QoS. if you manually disable QoS then scheduled spdmerlin tests run without rebooting the AXE16000. I haven't checked on the AXE16000 in last few days, as out of country and didn't have time to setup remote access to it. Back Saturday night.
Summary of what's been published in previous appends:
Note #1: AXE16000 (388.2_2) with QoS enabled, only other rmerlin add-on of "Disk Check", spdmerlin speed tests will cause a router reboot on install of spdmerlin, minutes or a few hours later. Manually disable QoS then no further router reboots, until you re-enabled QoS again. Everything run fine on my other primary router AXE11000.

i.e. This panels setting is being ignored.
1692549400439.png

Note #2: After a spdmerlin reboot, the GUI spdmerlin panels of "automatic speedtest configuration" and "script configuration" are corrupted. You lose settings which cannot be restored/altered unless you uninstall spdmerlin and re-install again.

i.e. These two panels before a spdmerlin invoked router reboot.
1692548596262.png

1692548652740.png

Panels after a spdmerlin invoked reboot.
1692549232156.png

1692549276201.png

Wish I had found this thread before buying my AXE16000.

Long time user of the AsusMerlin firmware here on various routers.

This time, I hesitated a lot with buying an x86 PC and running something like OPNsense on it.
I felt like the ASUSmerlin was a more polished experience with more features, hence why I spent on a brand new AXE16000, with some ET8 in AiMesh.
I am running firmware 3004.388.4 and my router crashes & reboots while installing spdMerlin.

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 08.41.31.png

I have tried that several times with manual or automatic bandwidth for QoS. Adaptive QoS is on.

Oh, and before I forget: my ISP - Comcast Business - is so crappy that I have to run spdMerlin regularly to understand their crappyness patterns and be aware that when my video conferences are bad, it's due to the lack of bandwidth (up or down).

EDIT1:
Wanted to report that after playing with a few different switches,
I found that switching from "adaptive QoS" to "traditional QoS" lets me install spdMerlin. Now the router seems to work and stay stable through reboots.
Thank you for that software.

Last edited:

This time, I hesitated a lot with buying an x86 PC and running something like OPNsense on it.
I felt like the ASUSmerlin was a more polished experience with more features, hence why I spent on a brand new AXE16000, with some ET8 in AiMesh.
I am running firmware 3004.388.4 and my router crashes & reboots while installing spdMerlin.

View attachment 54292

I have tried that several times with manual or automatic bandwidth for QoS. Adaptive QoS is on.

Oh, and before I forget: my ISP - Comcast Business - is so crappy that I have to run spdMerlin regularly to understand their crappyness patterns and be aware that when my video conferences are bad, it's due to the lack of bandwidth (up or down).

EDIT1:
I found that switching from "adaptive QoS" to "traditional QoS" lets me install spdMerlin. Now the router seems to work and stay stable through reboots.
SpdMerlin is no longer being developed. The last release was pre 388 codebase. One should expect issues going foreword is using any of Jack's scripts in the 388 codebase.

The same issues plaguing FlexQoS on newer routers affect spdMerlin’s “Exclude from QoS” option.

View attachment 54292

EDIT1:
You'll probably want to use this instead because @Viktor Jaep is accessible and actively developing/maintaining his stuff whereas @Jack Yaz is less so

So disabling exclude from qos fixes it? Easy fix, I'll take that away on affected routers
To make it stop, I had to add a match to ensure the packet had a valid download or upload bit before changing the mark.
Code:
-m mark --mark 0x80000000/0xc0000000
-m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000

So disabling exclude from qos fixes it? Easy fix, I'll take that away on affected routers
While your in edit mode, would you consider adding a short patch? I use this code to call another script once the speedtest is done. The script sets the color of a Hue lightbulb based on download speed (so I can tell at a glance when my Starlink is slowing down). I have also used this function when I had a T-Mobile 5G modem - I found that resetting the T-Mobile modem once the speed gets too slow brings it back to reasonable speeds - typically!

Pretty short - just check for an executable file in /jffs/scripts, pass the download and upload results - non-blocking.

Code:
                        if [ "$applyautobw" = "true" ]; then
                                Menu_AutoBW_Update
                        fi

rm -f "$tmpfile"
                        rm -f /tmp/spdstatstitle.txt

echo 'var spdteststatus = "Done";' > /tmp/detect_spdtest.js

# Speedtest hook patch
                        if [ -x /jffs/scripts/post-spdmerlin ]; then
                                /jffs/scripts/post-spdmerlin $download $upload &
                        fi
# End of patch

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!