What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin causes router to reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firmware 388.2_2- AXE16000: Found the setting in GUI and SSH you were after. Changing from Built-in to External it crashed on the first speed test (timestamp 8:10pm in attached debug log). Ran ok on the second.
View attachment 52318

What I now see in spdmerlin functions, after a spdmerlin crash/reboot you loose the ability to change these two parameters in SSH & GUI, others you can though. To get these two functions back you have to uninstall spdmerlin and re-install. I did three re-installs in last 30mins, two of the three crashed/rebooted during install, as per earlier append screen shot. These two the time stamps 7:58pm & 8:11pm in Debug log.
View attachment 52319

Still playing to find the 100% always fail scenario, this is being elusive though :rolleyes:
Did you say you had another router as well? If so, can you get the version number of the built in binary from the other router. Or if some else can. It is a stretch, I admit, but I just want to rule out the chance that your problem unit has a different version binary.

That said, it is looking to me that this is an issue with your router (sorry, I forget the model we are talking about). Seems something changed in the GPL for this version.

Did you say you had another router as well? If so, can you get the version number of the built in binary from the other router. Or if some else can. It is a stretch, I admit, but I just want to rule out the chance that your problem unit has a different version binary.

That said, it is looking to me that this is an issue with your router (sorry, I forget the model we are talking about). Seems something changed in the GPL for this version.
Everything fine on the AXE11000 with spdmerlin & many add-ons (ie signature line). AXE16000 the unit with spdmerlin reboots (sometimes) on tests.

firmware installed 388.2_2
CanaKW@GT-AXE16000:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/ookla -V
ookla 3.8.0.56 (73c537b5bf) Linux/arm-linux-musleabi 4.19.183 arm/aarch64 (asus-AXHND-A7)

firmware installed 388.4 beta2
ASUSWRT-Merlin GT-AXE11000 3004.388.4_beta2 Fri Aug 4 16:52:10 UTC 2023
CanaKW@GT-AXE11000-1:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/ookla -V
ookla 3.8.0.56 (73c537b5bf) Linux/arm-linux-musleabi 4.1.52 arm/aarch64 (asus-AXHND-A7)

(ie signature line

Unfortunately, signature lines do not show on mobile devices - at least not on my phone. This is a PIA to those of us trying to help and a mobile device is the only thing we got available at the time. I have looked for ways to turn signatures on while using a mobile device to no avail. Perhaps @thiggins can elaborate or tell me how to get signatures to show up on a mobile device.
firmware installed 388.2_2
CanaKW@GT-AXE16000:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/ookla -V
ookla 3.8.0.56 (73c537b5bf) Linux/arm-linux-musleabi 4.19.183 arm/aarch64 (asus-AXHND-A7)

firmware installed 388.4 beta2
ASUSWRT-Merlin GT-AXE11000 3004.388.4_beta2 Fri Aug 4 16:52:10 UTC 2023
CanaKW@GT-AXE11000-1:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/ookla -V
ookla 3.8.0.56 (73c537b5bf) Linux/arm-linux-musleabi 4.1.52 arm/aarch64 (asus-AXHND-A7)

I really did not think the versions would be different, but wanted to rule it out anyway.

Any other differences between your two routers? QoS, Trend Micro stuff? Ookla does pond the living crap out of the CPU at your ISP speeds. Perhaps the CPU is just hitting its breaking point. Or, if you are using Qos, perhaps SpdMerlin is not handling the exclusion in that model. The fact that it runs OK sometimes and not others tells me that you are hitting the limit f the box somewhere.

Unfortunately, signature lines do not show on mobile devices - at least not on my phone. This is a PIA to those of us trying to help and a mobile device is the only thing we got available at the time. I have looked for ways to turn signatures on while using a mobile device to no avail. Perhaps @thiggins can elaborate or tell me how to get signatures to show up on a mobile device.

I really did not think the versions would be different, but wanted to rule it out anyway.

Any other differences between your two routers? QoS, Trend Micro stuff? Ookla does pond the living crap out of the CPU at your ISP speeds. Perhaps the CPU is just hitting its breaking point. Or, if you are using Qos, perhaps SpdMerlin is not handling the exclusion in that model. The fact that it runs OK sometimes and not others tells me that you are hitting the limit f the box somewhere.
Activate auto screen rotation and hold the phone in landscape mode.

Activate auto screen rotation and hold the phone in landscape mode.

Well, knock me down and call me Chuck! That worked. You know how frustrating that has been! :p

The AXE11000 is a 1.8GHz CPU running lots of add-ons, working with spdmerlin now over seven days uptime on Beta2. The AXE16000 is a later 2.0GHz CPU running a minimum with spdmerlin causing the reboots, either on Beta2 or 388.2_2. From your suggestion I have disabled QOS on the AXE16000 to see how this affects the spdmerlin speed tests/reboots. Thanks for the ideas from your camp via phone, very special!

My story on the quantity of home units

Your story mixed with business needs makes things only worse in my view. Your choice though.

One thing I don't understand is the need for regular and frequent speed testing of your ISP connection. During speed tests you saturate the ISP line for no good reason and you hurt your network users' Internet experience just to get a number. Large % of your Internet traffic is to servers unrelated to your daily Internet activities. How bad is your ISP in Burlington, Ontario, Canada so you need to test it so often?

Your story mixed with business needs makes things only worse in my view. Your choice though.

One thing I don't understand is the need for regular and frequent speed testing of your ISP connection. During speed tests you saturate the ISP line for no good reason and you hurt your network users' Internet experience just to get a number. Large % of your Internet traffic is to servers unrelated to your daily Internet activities. How bad is your ISP in Burlington, Ontario, Canada so you need to test it so often?
Normally only run the speed test four per day. Increased it to 10min intervals on Jeffrey's quest to find this spdmerlin reboot bug, hoping one of the reboot events may provide useful data into the Debug Syslog. Sadly so far, from this log analysis nothing of value. Was suggested in earlier append an added layer of logging will need to occur.

Last edited:
Normally only run the speed test only four per day. Increased it to 10min intervals on Jeffrey's quest to find this bug, hoping one of the reboot events may provide useful data into the Debug Syslog.
I wouldn't bother with the every 10 minutes now. It is ookla binary taking out the router. If there was something in the logs, think we would say it by now. Curious if turning off QoS helped.

I wouldn't bother with the every 10 minutes now. It is ookla binary taking out the router. If there was something in the logs, think we would say it by now. Curious if turning off QoS helped.
Back to the spdmerlin default of ISP test & logging that data every 30mins. QoS turned off 4.5hrs ago and no reboots so far...will keep monitoring.

Do you have exclude QoS from speedtest turned on or off in the SpdMerlin menu?

Do you have exclude QoS from speedtest turned on or off in the SpdMerlin menu?
Yes "exclude speedtests from QoS" (the default, also ran all testing that way). All I changed on this pane was Speedtest to use external.
1691949313325.png

Yes "exclude speedtests from QoS" (the default, also ran all testing that way). All I changed on this pane was Speedtest to use external.
View attachment 52329
Ok. Let's see if you get any reboots with QoS turned off. Just wondering I'd SpdMerlin is not succeeding in turning of QoS before the test.

Ok. Let's see if you get any reboots with QoS turned off. Just wondering I'd SpdMerlin is not succeeding in turning of QoS before the test.
No reboots after 24hrs with QoS turned off/disabled. I'll let it run for another 24hrs to then be reasonably confident it's QoS related, before turning QoS back on again, that being the only change, to then see what occurs. Never gone for more then 5-6 hours on 388.2_2 without a reboot at spdmerlin test time, until QoS disabled.

It's not you, it's QoS. :)

No reboots after 24hrs with QoS turned off/disabled. I'll let it run for another 24hrs to then be reasonably confident it's QoS related, before turning QoS back on again, that being the only change, to then see what occurs. Never gone for more then 5-6 hours on 388.2_2 without a reboot at spdmerlin test time, until QoS disabled.
After QoS disabled no reboots (zero, none...) with uptime of 2 days & 6hrs on AXE16000. Now renabled QoS, will check router uptime in 24hrs time.

After QoS disabled no reboots (zero, none...) with uptime of 2 days & 6hrs on AXE16000. Now renabled QoS, will check router uptime in 24hrs time.

If you continue to experience reboots with qos turned back on, I'd suggest trying spdmerlin with autoBW feature disabled.
I tried that autoBW function once, created some unrealistic upload & download values on my Cogeco cable setup. Never enabled it since, from it's default of "off". I manually tune the routers QoS upload/download values via https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat to achieve an "A" on the bufferload tests. More successful on 6am runs then at 6pm to get "A".

I tried that autoBW function once, created some unrealistic upload & download values on my Cogeco cable setup. Never enabled it since, from it's default of "off". I manually tune the routers QoS upload/download values via https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat to achieve an "A" on the bufferload tests. More successful on 6am runs then at 6pm to get "A".
From hourly speedrun tests on my AXE11000 with Cogeco 1000/30Mbps you can see why the "AutoBW" function would struggle to set rational values.
1692378683927.png

You can disable or enable both running a speed test with QoS and auto update the bandwidths. @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow is saying to check off the box for exclude QoS from speed merlin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!