What's new

spdMerlin SpdMerlin restarts CakeQOS even if it is turned off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elorimer

Part of the Furniture
I'm not sure there is anything to be done here, but I think if you install the Cake QOS script, a restart instruction is inserted into firewall-start. If, for any reason, you turn off QOS, it, and cake, will be restarted if firewall-start is triggered. The restart script doesn't check to see if QOS is disabled before firing it up again. At least I think so.

I was experimenting with an upgraded 1G connection on an AC86U, and didn't think I needed to remove the script, just turn off QOS. But it turns on again and disables runner so my speeds were half what I expected.

If I disable QOS, then go to spdmerlin and do a manual speed test on the router, and then go back to the QOS page, QOS is enabled again. With CakeQOS uninstalled, I don't see that behavior.

I'll reinstall and capture logs, but I remember that the script is referenced and then the message implies CakeQOS is not being enabled. That's what I expected, but the QOS page contradicts it.

If I disable QOS, then go to spdmerlin and do a manual speed test on the router, and then go back to the QOS page, QOS is enabled again. With CakeQOS uninstalled, I don't see that behavior.
That’s an spdMerlin quirk, which may date back to the original cake script before cake was part of the firmware. It invokes the cake script if QoS is disabled, and passes an obsolete start parameter, which reinstalls and reenables cake, like a new install.

Helpful. I changed the title to conform.