What's new

Speed Test (Verizon FIOS 1Gbps vs Comcast 600Mbps)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
I just had Verizon FIOS with 1Gbps service installed and planned to cancel my Comcast 600Mbps service.

Before going ahead with cancelling, I decided to run some speed tests to compare actual numbers using speedtest.net. So far, Comcast's 600Mbps service is putting up better numbers than Verizon's FIOS 1Gbps service. The tech told me that it might take some time to realize the full speed but I can't understand why that would be. I'm using the same router when conducting tests, only swapping the cable between the FIOS ONT and my Comcast cable modem.

Has anyone else had similar experience?
Is speedtest.net the correct test to measure performance?
I'm calling Verizon tomorrow but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Have you tested during various times of the day? Try at midnight or 7AM and see, if you are then getting good numbers it may be the access node (OLT) is congested. As for the test,of course try from Ethernet and download the speedtest.net application. Go to the nearest Verizon site (by miles).

How are you testing? What connection is used? What device?

Does fast.com show higher speeds for you? :)

Remember these 3rd party test sites are only as good as the path between you and the test server and the capacity of the path and server. You need to test on multiple regional sites to confirm behavior. I can get anywhere from 150Mbps to 800Mbps'ish depending on the site. If I use the speedtest from my ISP (Google), I usually am in the 900Mbps+ range. They obviously have done a better job of making sure my path their delivery servers isn't congested.

I just had Verizon FIOS with 1Gbps service installed and planned to cancel my Comcast 600Mbps service.

Before going ahead with cancelling, I decided to run some speed tests to compare actual numbers using speedtest.net. So far, Comcast's 600Mbps service is putting up better numbers than Verizon's FIOS 1Gbps service. The tech told me that it might take some time to realize the full speed but I can't understand why that would be. I'm using the same router when conducting tests, only swapping the cable between the FIOS ONT and my Comcast cable modem.

Has anyone else had similar experience?
Is speedtest.net the correct test to measure performance?
I'm calling Verizon tomorrow but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

FIOS ONT can lead to some issues, I was trained on FiOS for 30 days then was Technical Support FiOS under Frontier Communications while back supporting Western Florida, all of Texas and CLA. They had taken over all Verizon FiOS networks in those areas. 1 GBps was reported at 700-900mbps at the time ONT has to be replaced or upgraded to support higher speeds. So your saying Comcast 1GBps is not fast only getting 600Mbps which normal for that speed rating. Unless it was 10GBps would be more like 7GBps.

Comcast told me I could have 1GBp for $69 a month if I wanted to have a new line installed to my house. So your not getting 1GBps your seeing 600Mbps. How is your Comcast Internet do you have Modem/and your own router or did you go with the $13 a month and have their Modem/WiFi Router bundle. Do you have everything they want you to have. To get the best out of Comcast they should have the Internet have it's own Box not bundled up with CATV/Digital Line Phone Method. I removed all that and just have Internet in the Box not all that other clutter to slow down the network. The closer the modem to the house connection the better. ONT system is a lot better than AT&T FiOS which wasn't fully running like Verzion FiOS. I use to talk too one of the Engineers who develop the system to have FiOS implemented. ONT/BU also there a fuse those that have issues with the ONT should have spare fuses and BU as well. When the system works you should get rated speeds but in networking not always the case.