What's new

Speedtest giving strange value

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ZakM

Occasional Visitor
I noticed my router now has a Speedtest built into the WebUI and decided to give it a try.
Surprisingly, it's giving me the wrong value on download speed. I don't understand why.

if I test from my laptop going to speedtest.net, I get ~200Mbps download, 30Mbps upload, which is what I supposedly pay for.
But running a test on the router, it says it's ~19Mbps download, while upload is correct at ~30Mbps

RT-AC66U B1 on 386.3_2 S

Anybody ran into this issue?

Do you have any VPN active? If so try disabling it or ensuring you've selected the correct interface.

Untitled.png

Are both tests using the same server? Different servers give different speeds.

Do you have any VPN active? If so try disabling it or ensuring you've selected the correct interface.
Yeah the test is not going thru the VPN (I also turned the client off), it's going thru WAN. And I chose the same server on both.

It's like it's showing 10% of the speed. Here's the results I just pulled:

1636490737487.png

vs:
1636490817246.png

Yeah the test is not going thru the VPN (I also turned the client off), it's going thru WAN. And I chose the same server on both.

It's like it's showing 10% of the speed. Here's the results I just pulled:

View attachment 37282
vs:
View attachment 37284
The speedtest relies on your CPU capacity at the time of the test, AC66U is not powerful enough so you will always get inconsistent slow speed. Try Whitesky Communication, that server gives me the fastest speed.

This is AC66U B1, or AC68U variant. It can do ~300Mbps speedtest with NAT acceleration disabled.
Yes, it's a single core CPU or maybe dual, I think it can achieve 300Mbps through a browser but not through the router's speedtest.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a single core CPU or maybe dual, I think it can achieve 300Mbps through a browser but not through the router's speedtest.
Well, that just isn't it.

Finally after a few hard restarts, this looks normal (showing basically the same results as from the client).
I don't know what it is, but feels like every now and then the router just decides to make everything bog slow, and nothing solves it but a restart.
Any QoS enabled?
Nope, no QoS

Last edited:
Well, that just isn't it.

Finally after a few hard restarts, this looks normal (showing basically the same results as from the client).
I don't know what it is, but feels like every now and then the router just decides to make everything bog slow, and nothing solves it but a restart.

Nope, no QoS
Do you have skynet enabled for filtering your outbound traffic?

If you use AI Protection, then it might be because of it.
I had the same issue and now it works fine disabling it

You may also go to Administration > Privacy and withdraw

Registered just because I had the same problem myself (recently purchased an used AC66U B1), but I figured out the cause:

It seems like HTTPS Web GUI is just too taxing for this device. I believe this feature was introduced by ASUS around mid-last year.
I was capped to around ~30mbps speeds over WiFi previously, too.

If you log out from the GUI, the speed test results should return to normal. Disabling HTTPS and reverting back to HTTP Web GUI should work, too.
If I recall correctly, only WLAN speeds are affected; LAN <=> WAN speeds should be similar even with HTTPS Web GUI on.

Hope this helps!

Skynet will slow things down. You can set Skynet to monitor incoming traffic only (Opt 11, opt 4) and use a filtering DNS to block adds and malicious sites. I have 3-4 go-to test sites in the region that I try for the UI speedtest. Invariably, 1 or 2 will give me a reading of full throughput and the others will be bogged down with traffic.

Here's a pic of my setup on a Comcast 1.2gb/40mb service.
The first test @ 8:44am is with a good regional provider.
The second test @ 8:45 is with another good provider, giving full throughput. With Skynet monitoring incoming traffic only. No changes to anything other than selecting a different regional test point.
The third test @ 8:49 is with the same provider as test 2, but with Skynet incoming and outgoing traffic monitoring turned on. Waited a minute or two for Skynet to 'come up' between tests. Notice jitter...

1642434630108.png

The Router settings didn't change at all except for selecting a regional provider and enablling Skynet outgoing traffic monitoring.

I suggest that you try several test servers due to the possibility that the first one you've tried may be under heavy load for some reason before digging into problems with the router.

Correct. It's somewhat useable if you have ports open or you want to limit yourself outbound. Even with ports open the access is password/certificates protected and there is no guarantee the "attacker" IP will be in blocklists. Also, it's IPv4 only and does even less with IPv6 enabled. Many Skynet users believe what is shown as blocked by Skynet was going to go through without Skynet. This assumption is incorrect.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I'm trying Skynet now with inbound off and outbound monitoring on. Initial UI speedtests show similar results. Will play with it for a day or two to see what it looks like. Note IPv6 disabled on my network.

I see.

So, in theory, there is no real need for skynet, or am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something. You're listening to the wrong advice.

Skynet offers another layer of security. Nothing is slowed down.

Much better to have it than not.

Everyone is free to run whatever he/she finds suitable. The technical details stay the same.

By the way, just to chip in with my experience, it seems I was having issues due to CPU spiking. After a few days the router always needed a reboot to get back into proper speeds.
I noticed the CPU cores spiking really bad when I was having issues.

Solution: Bought an AX86U :p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!