What's new

Splitting a 10GbE cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What exactly is spliced there ?
CAT5 and an ethernet patch cable ?
Yes it's not clear enough to see. I've seen analog phone lines being connected like that.

Look at the article i posted a link to. About the best you could get is 100 mbit or FAST Ethernet speeds with that approach.
I don't think that kind of "splitting" applies here. Yes you can use one set of pairs for one 100Mb link and the other set for a second 100Mb link, but you have to do the same "split" at both ends for it to work. Which means that you'd need a server with two separate network ports. He can't just stuff all the wires into the same socket and expect it to magically work. :D

Yes it's not clear enough to see. I've seen analog phone lines being connected like that.

I don't think that kind of "splitting" applies here. Yes you can use one set of pairs for one 100Mb link and the other set for a second 100Mb link, but you have to do the same "split" at both ends for it to work. Which means that you'd need a server with two separate network ports. He can't just stuff all the wires into the same socket and expect it to magically work. :D

Well, you can, but if the impedence doesn’t get you, the collisions will. (Remember ethernet hubs ? Yellow cable in a box we used to call them. The only advantage was the reduced number of vampire taps to have corrosion issues with.)
Just like on the original bus topology ethernet cable.

Well, you can, but if the impedence doesn’t get you, the collisions will. (Remember ethernet hubs ? Yellow cable in a box we used to call them. The only advantage was the reduced number of vampire taps to have corrosion issues with.)
Just like on the original bus topology ethernet cable.
Yes I remember those 10/100 hubs as well :D. Although that's something different from the splitting of a single cat5 cable into two separate 100Mb links that I was just talking about. In fact I even remember coming across equipment that used the old fat Ethernet over coax :eek:.

But getting back to the OP wanting to have multiple devices connecting over a shared 10GbE cable at 10Gb speed. That's not going to happen. Apart from the collisions problem you mentioned earlier, shared media is no longer a supported mode of operation with 10GbE. So it simply won't work. The best he could hope for would be that the devices fall back to some slower speed, probably at half duplex. So he'd get better throughput using a $20 gigabit switch like @CaptainSTX said. Or maybe a better compromise would be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076642YPN/?tag=snbforums-20

Although this whole discussion it pointless if his client devices don't also have 10GbE cards.

What exactly is spliced there ?
CAT5 and an ethernet patch cable ?
Look at the article i posted a link to. About the best you could get is 100 mbit/sec or FAST Ethernet speeds with that approach. And the signaling pairs have to be twisted pairs to avoid rf interference or even 60 cycle pickup.

btw, what is your isp downlink/uplink versus the speedtest result ?
Or is this a completely private network ?
This is in my home. So I suppose it is on a completly private network. The cable with the long splice IS cat 5E. Im not sure what you mean by verses the speedtest result. - It is fiber optic to my door and I am supposed to get speeds up to 100mbs up and down.

It would be nice to be able to provide 4 workstation 10GbE. That would make sorting out years of 12mg photos much easier.
IF all my figuring is right
a 6Gb/second = 750/megabytes per second Solid State HD will be able to send data over 10GbE
I hope I am correct when I say that 10GbE should be able to handle speeds at 10 Gbps = 1250 MB/s So that would mean that some people might even want to set up a raid array of SSD hard drives in stripe mode to saturate the 10Gbs.
I do see some 10GbE mellonox cards with 2 ports each. They will use 8 lanes each in the PCIEx slots.
In my house I want to setup a Nas on a dell 7010 optiplex with an I-5 processor with two of these mellonox cards and then install the 10GbE cards in the four other computers. ? If it works I will set this up for others as well. I saw vyos and freenas being options for the nas OS.

Last edited:
It would be nice to be able to provide 4 workstation 10GbE. I do see some 10GbE mellonox cards with 2 ports each. They will use 8 lanes each in the PCIEx slots.
In my house I want to setup a Nas on a dell 7010 optiplex with an I-5 processor with two of these mellonox cards and then install the 10GbE cards in the four other computers. ? If it works I will set this up for others as well. I saw vyos and freenas being options for the nas OS.

This is your other option if a switch is too expensive. If you have enough PCIE slots and lanes then you can just do direct connect between the server and your PC's. I did a similar thing, except it was between just 2 computers. I used a twinax cable to help keep cost down.

I do see some 10GbE mellonox cards with 2 ports each. They will use 8 lanes each in the PCIEx slots.
In my house I want to setup a Nas on a dell 7010 optiplex with an I-5 processor with two of these mellonox cards and then install the 10GbE cards in the four other computers. ?

I don't know all the specs of the cards or you PC but make sure you have enough PCIE lanes. I just quickly looked at a Dell 7010 manual and it showed two PCIE x16 slots (physical size) but one of them was only PCIE x4 electrically. I think there are different Dell 7010 machines, but just make sure yours has the PCIE lanes both physically and electrically for your cards.

I can't see why anyone would want to use a device like this and why is this better than just unplugging a cable into the single RJ-45 jack and plugging something else in. Spend $16.99 and you can have a five port gigabit switch and would allow you to connect upto four devices simultaneously.
I see better what you mean here. Maybe their is something in that gigabit switch that would prevent faster speeds. So this is why I asked if anyone has tried this. But because 10GbE protocal does not allow does not allow multiple devices to be sceen then it does not matter really. I get the empedance thing is complicated. Like how sata was faster than IDE. All those IDE wires on those HD cables got in the way of faster speeds at they were able to get Faster Speeds with serial.