What's new

SSH to disable VPN (or VPN kill switch)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JTnola

Regular Contributor
Is it possible to SSH into the router to disable the VPN (and/or to disable the VPN kill switch?)

(My kill switch has engaged, so my router won’t let me log on to the WebGUI to fix the situation.)

(My kill switch has engaged, so my router won’t let me log on to the WebGUI to fix the situation.)
Have you tried a router reboot?

Have you tried a router reboot?
That’s the problem. The PIA server I was using appears to not exist anymore. So the router rebooted, can’t connect to the VPN (so the kill switch engages), and — voila! — we’re locked out of the router.

Seems a bit strange that if the VPN client isn't working it would prevent you from accessing the router's GUI locally. I thought the VPN kill switch only effected internet access. If you're blocked from accessing the GUI how are you going to access the router through SSH, it's the same IP address?

That’s the problem. The PIA server I was using appears to not exist anymore. So the router rebooted, can’t connect to the VPN (so the kill switch engages), and — voila! — we’re locked out of the router.
I would do a manual reboot by pulling the Barrel end of the power cord, wait 60 seconds, then plug it back in, and see what that gets you.

If not you may need to do a WPS Reset. Hope you have a more current backup so you can restore quickly.

Edit: Also try by disconnecting from modem to regain access via hardwired straight to PC. @ColinTaylor

Edit: Also reboot modem by disconnecting power. (separate action)

Last edited:
I did a hard and used a recent backup and all is well.

But yeah .. when there’s no internet, there’s no local access. I don’t really get it.

But yeah .. when there’s no internet, there’s no local access. I don’t really get it.
It would be most helpful if you Updated your Signature to reflect your hardware, firmware and scripts.
Your IP Reserved Range should be evaluated.

One of the reasons why I built "remote reset protection" into vpnmon-r2... it basically checks against a file sitting out there on the internet every 15mins, and if the file says reboot, then it reboots the router. I've been in a pickle before where VPN borks things up preventing clients from getting in/going out and remotely locks me out... or the killswitch preventing this traffic. Reboot fixes everything. ;)

Last edited:
One of the reasons why I built "remote reset protection" into vpnmon-r2... it basically checks against a file sitting out there on the internet every 15mins, and if the file says reboot, then it reboots the router. I've been in a pickle before where VPN borks things up preventing clients from getting in/going out and remotely locks me out... or the killswitch preventing this traffic. Reboot fixes everything. ;)

Brilliant.

Thank you!

(How resource intensive is vpnmon-r2?)

Brilliant.

Thank you!

(How resource intensive is vpnmon-r2?)
Not very... if you like, I can try to break out this code so you can just have it run just for this purpose?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!