What's new

SSID names in AP Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not disagreeing with what you said but why add all the complexity/configuration unless you know you need it.

Do a reality check on how much active roaming is actually going on between floors (e.g walking and browsing). At most I'd bet a cell phone and just a note, the use case of wifi calling will more than likely fail even if the roaming is near seamless.

I subscribe to KISS, especially when I've got to maintain things.

1. Start out with all the APs having all the same SSIDs using "Auto" channel selection.
  2. If you're having occasional issues, use a tool to do a survey and assign channels manually.
  3. If you're still having issues, see if the adapter on the device has settings for preferred band and/or roaming aggressiveness and/or other connection control parameters.
  4. If you still have issues then look at overlay networks and all the extra complexity.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey, I never solve anything (I'm "Klueless" : -) but it sounds like a fun conversation to jump in on.

Up front I've used Asus routers before but I've never set one up as an AP before. As a router I know you can have up to four SSIDs (WiFi Names) for each radio (4 for 2.4 GHz and another 4 for 5 GHz). I'm going to assume that's true when you configure an Asus router as an AP?

On the flip side you can have one name for all radios. Now that's kinda neat, one name & one password for the whole house and (in theory) it just works. Everywhere and anywhere.

But the down side is the occasional recalcitrant client who won't drop a dead connection thus it can't roam.

So you could set up an SSID for Floor 1 router, another SSID for Floor2 AP and so on; Floor 3, Floor 4. The downside is you'd have to take your iPad floor to floor, login and connect on each floor. Once you've done this once your device will most likely roam automatically. If it's the weird device that doesn't then you can manually connect to the proper SSID as needed.

I'd consider combining both schemes; One SSID ("Full House") for all radios all floors then the Floor 1 ... Floor 4 SSIDs for the floor 1 ... floor 4 devices. Then it's back to one login for the whole house and if there's ever a problem you have an easy "work around", simply log into to appropriate floor.

Normally I'd talk about signal overlap a little but with steel and concrete between floors that shouldn't be an issue.

There's an off chance of the occasional client making the wrong choice between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. If each floor is like 500 sq. ft. it's of little consequence. If each floor is say, 2,500 sq. ft., well, that could be a future conversation.

Reactions: #TY
I subscribe to KISS, especially when I've got to maintain things.
  1. Start out with all the APs having all the same SSIDs using "Auto" channel selection.
  2. If you're having occasional issues, use a tool to do a survey and assign channels manually.
  3. If you're still having issues, see if the adapter on the device has settings for preferred band and/or roaming aggressiveness and/or other connection control parameters.
  4. If you still have issues then look at overlay networks and all the extra complexity.
Absolutely agree! I went from step #1 to step #4 too quick. I was just going to add step #2 in an "edit" but you beat me to it. I never even thought of step #3.

I was also going to add a bit about multiple SSIDs and radios adding to airtime overhead so, yeah, why add four extra SSIDs unless they're needed?

Thanks.