What's new

SSL offloading

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ebalsumgo

Regular Contributor
Is it possible to leverage the Asus to do SSL offloading for apps that get port-forwarded? I know I can potentially do this with nginx as a reverse proxy, but not sure if I will be able to cobble it together enough. I also understand that there will be a CPU/performance hit potentially but right now it seems like a missed opportunity as i get a valid cert on the router but the rest of the devices (that may have their own Lets Encrypt capabilities) cannot use that SSL cert.

I'm looking to do the same thing. Is the only route currently to use NGINX, and can it utilise the existing Lets Encrypt cert?

Personally, I have a GoDaddy domain name. I then use acme.sh (updated version from the web, not the built in version), I then use acme.sh along with my GoDaddy API key and get a free SLL certificate (Router certificate and wildcard certificate). I import it into the router for https access to the GUI and NGINX for Reverse Proxy SSL front end. In addition, I have a cron job that checks each night if renewal is required and if so, renew the certificate and rcp to my AD DC (for TLS LDAP).

So, it can be done.