What's new

Stability of Asuswrt-Merlin vs Stock Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I'm having a lot of issues with the latest versions of Asuswrt-Merlin (particularly 384.17 and 384.18) with the GUI disappearing. I am running AC68U and AC88U routers at multiple locations, and this is really becoming a major problem.

I'm looking at alternatives. Is the stock firmware for these routers more stable? Otherwise, should I be looking at a different brand of router?

I'm running a couple of ac68 with no issues. The time I was having issues with Asus Merlin I reset the routers to defaults and configured it manually. My interface is set to English.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Asuswrt last few versions are more stable on my RT-AC86U routers. The last good Merlin release for me was 384.14, the last version before the integrated scripts, new addons pages and meters in GUI. Since then GUI hangs often, VPN server spins forever, glitches on addons, etc. Tested on both routers, same behaviour. I’m replacing the Asus routers this week with different equipment.

Are you trying to run with the GUI interface open continuously by chance? I know that others have run into issues with that in the past, so it is generally not recommended.

Asuswrt last few versions are more stable on my RT-AC86U routers. The last good Merlin release for me was 384.14, the last version before the integrated scripts, new addons pages and meters in GUI. Since then GUI hangs often, VPN server spins forever, glitches on addons, etc. Tested on both routers, same behaviour. I’m replacing the Asus routers this week with different equipment.
What are you planning to use for replacement?

What are you planning to use for replacement?

Netgate SG-5100 with Omada. PoE smart switch, two access points to start with and the network controller. I can list the exact product numbers when I get back home, if you are interested.

merlin has been super stable on my routers have up times of over 6 months my 5300 ran for 222days before i upgraded knot a problem since

I've been running RMerlin firmware for 5 years on different Asus routers. I've never had stability issues, never had GUI issues.

If I suddenly had disappearing GUI issues, I'd suspect browser, browser add-on, and cache issues before firmware problems.

Personally I haven't had any stability issue with either firmware across 3 or 4 different routers. I see a lot of people having GUI issues but often it is when running "extra" things like usb devices, scripts, etc. (Usually a configuration issue). From a plain basic router functionality, both are equal IMO, but Merlin offers many more options.

(I also schedule mine to reboot nightly to ensure a "clean" operating environment)

Last edited:
I was running Merlin for years on RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U with no issues. Things went downhill with RT-AC86U. Merlin's work is excellent. Asus base for this router and the hardware is only OK. Upgrading from 2 x RT-AC1900P to 2 x RT-AC86U is a highlighted big mistake in my records.

I have an RT-AC86U running 384.18 and that occasionally (hmm, more hmm, maybe once/week) has the web ui disappear, although the router carries on routing. I ssh in and restart the httpd server, which fixes the problem, until the next time. Not a big problem for me, so I have not investigated further.

Weird my ac88u works as it should maybe better than ever. Running 384.18, no scripts and been up since .18 and no such problem

For many years i had various Asus-Merlin routers never such problem also for me.
Keep you browser healthy, clean cache, check installed addons and you should be fine.
You can't compare a 700-800$ network equipment with modest 150-250$ router.

I'm having a lot of issues with the latest versions of Asuswrt-Merlin (particularly 384.17 and 384.18) with the GUI disappearing. I am running AC68U and AC88U routers at multiple locations, and this is really becoming a major problem.

I'm looking at alternatives. Is the stock firmware for these routers more stable? Otherwise, should I be looking at a different brand of router?
I am running Merlin firmware on my ac 88 u and have for ages without a problem having said that sometimes when I logon to the GUI I don't get the list down the left side of the GUI so I just open another page on google and it comes back straight away. I'm pretty sure that it's not the firmware as apposed to the web browser

Last edited:

That was weird. For the first time ever. today the GUI failed to render the menu items on the left side of my Asus router. I tried logging out and then logging in, no go. I tried a different browser, same thing. I finally rebooted and everything (I've noticed so far) is back to normal. If it happens again I will post a picture/screen shot.

I have an RT-AC86U running 384.18 and that occasionally (hmm, more hmm, maybe once/week) has the web ui disappear, although the router carries on routing. I ssh in and restart the httpd server, which fixes the problem, until the next time. Not a big problem for me, so I have not investigated further.
How do you restart the httpd server? my guess, (at the command prompt) [service httpd restart]?

How do you restart the httpd server? my guess, (at the command prompt) [service httpd restart]?
Or, instead of the remembering the command provided by @Marin, you could just install the scmerlin script (in amtm), which provides easy access to this command as well as many other useful commands.