What's new

Sudden increase in neighbour's Wi-Fi usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I guess this is what @TheLyppardMan is using it for. If their neighbor is in a flat perhaps @TheLyppardMan lives in a flat too. They can share the 5GHz spectrum relatively peacefully and have some friendly Auto channel fights over the 2.4GHz spectrum. Lower Tx power may help.

That is the proper way to set up a multi AP network. I wish Asus allowed for this.

That is the proper way to set up a multi AP network. I wish Asus allowed for this.

You don’t have to use asus’s aimesh, you can set the ap or spare router in AP mode or repeater bridge. I think asus hides the wireless gui settings page in ap/repeater mode but you can access it if you know the direct url and make changes. (Haven’t played around with the other operation modes in awhile)
IMG_0035.jpeg

You don’t have to use asus’s aimesh, you can set the ap or spare router in AP mode or repeater bridge. I think asus hides the wireless gui settings page in ap/repeater mode but you can access it if you know the direct url and make changes. (Haven’t played around with the other operation modes in awhile) View attachment 54372

Then you can't have multiple SSIDs acting in unicent

Then you can't have multiple SSIDs acting in unicent

In the wireless setting page you can change the ssid name. (I think) they just make things really complicated. I’d mess around and show the hidden settings, but my stuff is set how I like it and don’t really feel like resetting my routers settings atm.

In AP Mode you can have the same SSIDs as main router with exactly the same roaming, same or different channels. Wired only though and no GN to the AP. Tx power option available unlike AiMesh.

In AP Mode you can have the same SSIDs as main router with exactly the same roaming, same or different channels. Wired only though and no GN to the AP. Tx power option available unlike AiMesh.

You can change the settings in repeater mode also just need to use a direct link to the page. (If I’m remember correctly)

I think they repeat using the guest wifi page also.

Last edited:
You obviously can’t change the parent AP channel in Repeater mode.

You obviously can’t change the parent AP channel in Repeater mode.

Ok you’ve convinced my to play with my routers…

On first setup you can set the AP repeater modes repeated wifi to the same name as your parent router.
Screenshot 2023-11-20 171644.png

Once setup go to the ap repeaters ip address.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 174521.png

Look no wireless settings.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 174725.png

Screenshot 2023-11-20 174710.png

oh hey wireless settings hidden...

Screenshot 2023-11-20 174813.png

I know about the hidden settings page, but what I’m saying is you can’t change the channel you are repeating in Repeater mode. Single 5GHz radio can’t broadcast on two different frequencies. Same SSID or different the devices will share bandwidth and airtime anyway.

I know about the hidden settings page, but what I’m saying is you can’t change the channel you are repeating in Repeater mode. Single 5GHz radio can’t broadcast on two different frequencies. Same SSID or different the devices will share bandwidth and airtime anyway.
Ah that's what you meant. Correct on a single 5ghz radio you can't. However if you wanted to connect to your parent router using 2.4ghz you can change the channel that's repeating on 5ghz to the same name and channel that's on your parent or a different channel. 2.4ghz is not really practical for a wireless backhaul; I think it would require a different name on 2.4ghz on parent likely not to accidentally cause conflicts, unfortunately again one radio has to be the backhaul with that limitation of not being able to transmit on different frequencies.

Last edited:
I've noticed that one of my neighbours has started using multiple channels on both the 2.4 GHz band and also the 5 GHz band. Any idea as to how this is possible? Is it possibly some kind of Mesh system? If so, I can't imagine why they would need it, as it's only a one-bedroom flat on a single level. Could that be one reason why my 2.4 GHz band was going crazy yesterday?
View attachment 54322
I live in the middle of 2 large condo complexes and noticed this lately too. To me it looks like it's related to Xfinity and the way they use customer modems as wifi hotspots, likely unbeknownst to most of these said customers. When I first moved here 4 years ago and used their modem until I could buy my own, I was shocked to see my own rented modem being used this way and turned it off right away.

Who said I was complaining?
Pro tip. Cover all your walls, floor and ceiling with aluminum foil. Then you'll be shielded from your very inconsiderate, band hogging neighbor, and you can stop 'complaining' or whatever your OP was about.

Pro tip. Cover all your walls, floor and ceiling with aluminum foil. Then you'll be shielded from your very inconsiderate, band hogging neighbor, and you can stop 'complaining' or whatever your OP was about.
Nah. Life is too short to worry about all this stuff. I was just curious to see if I could educate myself a bit, but from what I've seen here, it's way too complicated for me to contemplate further and as my neighbours have become very reclusive (Jack only goes out to put rubbish in the bin and I haven't seen Kara for well over a year), I wouldn't want to invade their privacy by discussing any of this with them.

Thanks anyway for everyone's input.

Just note that most of the WiFi scanner tools only report the beacons, not the actual traffic activity...

Many folks still look at the old rules of thumb from 11b/11g - with 11n and later, there are specs in place for co-channel interference rejection that all chipset vendors have to support.

In the worst case - put your control channels on the same channel with the neighbors if you can't go anywhere else - there, at least, they can coordinate a bit, as secondary channels don't, and more importantly in 2.4GHz, partial overlaps can be problematic...

not the actual traffic activity...

Indeed. And for that reason some folks miss channels with good available bandwidth just because someone else's router is tuned to the same.

I’m a wireless hog I have no problem with filling every channel with wide band radio signals at full power regardless of if I’m utilizing it or not.

surely this is in jest - I'm the one who knocks

And there, I have a particular set of skills...

;)

Indeed. And for that reason some folks miss channels with good available bandwidth just because someone else's router is tuned to the same.

How I roll... I'm on 11/40/136 for my primary - neighbor in 40 is 160MHz, but not so much interference there...

CH1 has some overlap, this shot doesn't show everything, as there is a neighbor with 40MHz channels on CH4...

My test AP that I use for development is on CH1 and CH157 - not really an issue for me on a test AP

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 5.10.31 PM.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!