What's new

Sudden increase in neighbour's Wi-Fi usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've noticed that one of my neighbours has started using multiple channels on both the 2.4 GHz band and also the 5 GHz band. Any idea as to how this is possible? Is it possibly some kind of Mesh system? If so, I can't imagine why they would need it, as it's only a one-bedroom flat on a single level. Could that be one reason why my 2.4 GHz band was going crazy yesterday?
Current nearby Wi-Fi channels.png

Multiple radios, and or guest network using the same name. People have said this before, but neighbours have no obligation to “fairly” share wireless spectrum. I’m a wireless hog I have no problem with filling every channel with wide band radio signals at full power regardless of if I’m utilizing it or not. My neighbours will either leave their stuff on auto and let their devices figure out what is least congestive or suffer. Personally I don’t care. But I don’t expect them to behave either with channel hogging. Theirs no law or monitoring and if they knock on my door complaining they’ll get the told to go touch grass.

Futile to expect any different it’s a Wild West only governance is certain channels and going over legal power usage.

Multiple radios, and or guest network using the same name. People have said this before, but neighbours have no obligation to “fairly” share wireless spectrum. I’m a wireless hog I have no problem with filling every channel with wide band radio signals at full power regardless of if I’m utilizing it or not. My neighbours will either leave their stuff on auto and let their devices figure out what is least congestive or suffer. Personally I don’t care. But I don’t expect them to behave either with channel hogging. Theirs no law or monitoring and if they knock on my door complaining they’ll get the told to go touch grass.

Futile to expect any different it’s a Wild West only governance is certain channels and going over legal power usage.
Unless I've misunderstood, that sounds like a very selfish attitude to me; a case of "I'm alright Jack".

Does this provide any more clues as to what they might be using:
Screenshot - 19_11_2023 , 21_39_06.png

Does this provide any more clues as to what they might be using:
View attachment 54324
You’re not mistaken. But that’s the reality when dealing with people and devices outside your control people will set and forget.

Appears to be 4x4 5ghz radio per channel so two radios probably mu-mimo mix mode with up to ax support plus a virtual guest network. The two radios are using the same ssid name with exceptions to the guest. As for if they are running mesh that’s hard to say because even the mesh could be the same name connecting as a repeater bridge. Mesh is just a fancy wireless repeater bridge usually with proprietary monitoring software. But mesh usually would result in at least 3 channels used or multiple ssid’s assuming the primary router has 2 radios used; unless the mesh node is not repeating the signal and is only functioning to provide lan.

Or the primary router it’s a single 4x4 radio with a mesh node repeating the wireless on a secondary channel. No way to really know because it’s not necessary to broadcast under multiple ssid’s so long as there isn’t a conflict with passwords.

To determine what kind manufacturer of router they are using could possibly look up their vendor OUI MAC address if obtainable.

Last edited:
Unrelated to Asuswrt-Merlin and doesn't indicate any increased Wi-Fi usage by the neighbors.

Unrelated to Asuswrt-Merlin and doesn't indicate any increased Wi-Fi usage by the neighbors.
How can it be unrelated to Asuswrt-Merlin when it is the performance of my ASUS router running Merlin firmware that is being affected?

You’re not mistaken. But that’s the reality when dealing with people and devices outside your control people will set and forget.

Appears to be 4x4 5ghz radio per channel so two radios probably mu-mimo mix mode with up to ax support plus a virtual guest network. The two radios are using the same ssid name with exceptions to the guest. As for if they are running mesh that’s hard to say because even the mesh could be the same name connecting as a repeater bridge. Mesh is just a fancy wireless repeater bridge usually with proprietary monitoring software. But mesh usually would result in at least 3 channels used or multiple ssid’s assuming the primary router has 2 radios used; unless the mesh node is not repeating the signal and is only functioning to provide lan.

Or the primary router it’s a single 4x4 radio with a mesh node repeating the wireless on a secondary channel. No way to really know because it’s not necessary to broadcast under multiple ssid’s so long as there isn’t a conflict with passwords.

To determine what kind manufacturer of router they are using could possibly look up their vendor OUI MAC address if obtainable.
I only have the MAC addresses of the networks, so I presume that wouldn't be of any use. Can you give me an example of a router that would have the features you alluded to as this is the first time I have come across the situation with two frequencies per band being transmitted at the same time?
KJ Networks.png

Last edited:
How can it be unrelated to Asuswrt-Merlin when it is the performance of my ASUS router running Merlin firmware that is being affected?
Do you complain to Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler that your roads are bad and make your car handle and ride rough?

So your neighbour has bought some sort of repeater or quad band router. That's life. Suck it up and move on. Or are you planning on telling him to turn it off.

How is the performance of your router affected? Your neighbor has a new "multi-band" router or "mesh" system serving exactly the same clients they had before and using approximately the same bandwidth and airtime. Your firmware choice or router model is totally unrelated.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

How is the performance of your router affected? Your neighbor has a new "multi-band" router or "mesh" system serving exactly the same clients they had before and using approximately the same bandwidth and airtime. Your firmware choice or router model is totally unrelated.
Hmm, I didn't know you were able to spy on my neighbours so easily. Perhaps I should alert them.

I didn't know you were able to spy on my neighbours so easily

Why the confrontation? Your neighbors changed the router and very likely use the devices they had before in the way they were used before. The bandwidth and airtime needed for the same use is approximately the same regardless or channels and SSIDs number. What you see is radios tuned to specific channels. The analyzer you use doesn't show "usage". Nothing bad happened - just continue using your router as before on the firmware you like better. If your neighbors are more active on your channels - change the channel to something else or just accept the new environment situation.

Last edited:
I only have the MAC addresses of the networks, so I presume that wouldn't be of any use. Can you give me an example of a router that would have the features you alluded to as this is the first time I have come across the situation with two frequencies per band being transmitted at the same time?
View attachment 54358

Well the Asus GT-AX11000 is a Tri band router and can do this. As for the oui look up take the networks mac and put it in here. https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html

Unfortunately I looked up these mac addresses and they have no vendor association meaning the network macs are likely randomized. Oui only sometimes works. Beyond that I couldn't tell you their exact router type unless you can connect to their network and scan for devices, but obviously that would be ethically wrong, if not criminally.

That said I know I come in here playing the act of being a bit of prune to prove a point, but lets not direct that towards OP. It's perfectly fine to optimize your own network to improve performance in fact I encourage it, but you work around the environment your dealt with not the other way around; just the nature of the beast.

Anyways yes tri band routers or more can use multiple sets of control channels if they have dual or more radios. If the router or mesh node splits the radios with different ssid's then it won't show two or more control channels on the same name.

Well the Asus GT-AX11000 is a Tri band router and can do this

This router can't broadcast on two different 2.4GHz channels at the same time.

This router can't broadcast on two different 2.4GHz channels at the same time.

No. But it can on 5ghz. I know he has concerns with his 2.4ghz band, but considering 2.4ghz is the most congested legacy spectrum I wouldn’t recommend using it for anything other then legacy or low bandwidth IoT devices.

Their are routers that have dual 2.4ghz, but the ax11000 isn’t one of them. I would say the likelyhood his neighbour is using mesh is high or simply repurposed his old router is high. But not out of the realm of possibility to have bought a really fancy quad router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!