What's new

Switch selection help - home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

austin_bob

Occasional Visitor
As I stated in my prior post, I am upgrading older home network hardware and could use some assistance in selecting a switch. Although I currently only have Spectrum 200/20, I would like to optimize within the LAN. Also, after my prior post, I replaced some of the RJ45 connectors and have 1GB capability on each run inside the home.

I have replaced my cable modem with Motorola 7420 and the router is TBD (considering ER-Lite or pfSense Netgate SG-3100).

Switch traffic:
  • I am upgrading the NAS to an 8 bay QNAP (4 gigabit ports) which will connect to switch on 2 cables via link aggregation. The NAS will be running Plex Media Server and distributing video to three rooms, see below.
  • The LAN traffic is primarily on 3 of the runs, 2 of which have 5-port unmanaged switches at the far end:
  1. 5 port unmanaged gigabit switch with an Apple TV (also streams from NAS via Plex app), Ruckus Wireless AP, Sonos Connect, and TV
  2. 5 port unmanaged gigabit switch with an Apple TV (also streams from NAS via Plex app), XBOX One, XBOX 360; and TV.
  3. Apple TV (also streams from NAS via Plex app)
  • Other ports, mostly 10/100 clients: 4 Sonos Amps, Desktop PC (GB), Home Automation controller (ISY-994i), Pool Equipment controller.
  • 16 total connections, so looking at a 24-port switch.
I'm looking at the HP 1920-24G Switch 24 Ports L3 Managed (JG924A#ABA) or Ubiquity EdgeSwitch Lite 24, but would appreciate any input.

Both should be good...

Also consider Netgear's ProSAFE M4100-26G - $250 on the Amazon

I've had decent luck with them in smaller networks...

In may experience, for home use, the acoustic noise should be taken into consideration. Low noise will give you a good mood.

Here are several types of switches for your reference. Cisco SG300-28 switch (SRW2024-K9), NETGEAR JGS524PE 24-Port switch, FS S2800-24T4F 24-port switch have a low price that less than $280, the last switch is a fanless design, you can have a look.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at that Netgear 'smart managed' L2 switch as well as the TP-Link ones and thought it will be worth the extra time to configure an L3 switch and to have the additional capability in the future. In regards to the Netgear M4100, there's a lot of good reviews and my Netgear unmanaged switches work great, but I was uncomfortable by the number of problems I read about - at least compared to the HP and Ubiquiti. I did see that the Cisco SG300's are very popular here. I think as sfx said, all are probably fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!