What's new

Switch setup for Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wfarid

Occasional Visitor
My cable modem is in my basement which is currently connected to a Dlink DIR-655 which my main rig, laptop, Qnap Ts-209, is connected to. Then an ethernet cable is connected from the router to another router (upstairs in my living room) the Dlink DGL-4500 which my HTPC, Xbox 360, and a JadooTV (tv streaming box) are connected to (image attached is a visual representation of network).

What I want to do is enable jumbo frames with my Main Rig, Laptop, Qnap, and my HTPC while leaving everything else, Xbox360 and media streaming box on 100mps connections. I've tested jumbo frames and they make a world of difference.

I was originally thinking the Netgear GS-108T, but I recently saw the GS105 at Newegg for really cheap and I got me thinking if I could use that. Could I use any of the two switches in my setup or would I have to get a switch both downstairs and upstairs?

Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• waqasnetwork.jpg
    waqasnetwork.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 500
The switches in both routers are not spec'd to support jumbo frames. But testing showed they will support at least 4K jumbo frames.

in my current setup would I just need one or would I need two? Does the GS108T 200 support 4k jumbo frames?

in my current setup would I just need one or would I need two? Does the GS108T 200 support 4k jumbo frames?
You don't need any as long as you have enough ports on both routers.

The GS108T supports up to 9k jumbo frames.

I tried to enable jumbo frames with my current setup however it caused finicky connections and speed variances. I want something more reliable than my current setup.

So could I get one gs108t and swap it out in place of the Dir-655 and then use the DGL-4500 as a kind of extender/ wireless access point?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!