What's new

Switching from AC86U to AX88U - How to start?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matula81

New Around Here
Hi,
I am Tobi and a new forum member.

I'm switching from the AC86U to the AX88U.
Is it possible to transfer the settings from the AC86U to the AX88U?

If not, is there some kind of "How To Start" when changing models?
Of course I know how to put a router into operation :). I just don't want to have to reset everything if possible.

Many thanks for support!

Best regards, Tobi

Not really. It's best to start with the new default settings that are appropriate for the new hardware you have.

What settings do you need to transfer? If it's only DHCP reservations that's doable.

I think it is work for about 2 or 3 hours include testing

DHCP Settings (about 15 to 20 clients)
VPN Server Settings for one server
VPN Client Settings for 2 clients

Regards, Tobi

Standard warning. Do not import a saved CFG file from the AC86 into the AX88U. Do not import a saved CFG file from one router into a different model router.

One can print out each of the pages in PDF format from their web browser to make copying the settings from one router model to another easier.

For manual/reserved DHCP addresses one can use various methods like YazDHCP to copy the reservations from one Asus-Merlin firmware router to another.

I think it is work for about 2 or 3 hours include testing

DHCP Settings (about 15 to 20 clients)
VPN Server Settings for one server
VPN Client Settings for 2 clients

Regards, Tobi
For so few settings it's probably quicker to do it manually. By the time you've faffed around exporting and reimporting various settings and files you could have already done it manually.