What's new

Switching to SSD for decreasing power cosumption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Haven't you also said (more than once) that you don't recommend using any router as a fileserver?

Router/AP's are nice for certain things - but they are not really file servers - it's a balance of performance...

Marketing is what it is...

Yep, I have a dedicated TS140 fileserver running NAS4Free. Using a router as a fileserver just seems to be begging to lose your data.

I personally see these routers, as the AC68, as great "low cost" domestic servers for nothing really important to be accessed by 2-3 clients at peaks: Multimedia, small files, family pictures, ocassional sharing, etc... Obviously you'll need a copy or a backup in another device.

More than enough for "typical" home needs, IMHO.

By any means these machines can be compared with dedicated fileservers. In a fully wired environment with some kind of professional needs a small PC/Nas with a few disks and any reasonable configuration is waaay better solution from flexibility, reliability and performance point of view. However that will need more money, space and dedication.

If Bus powering, probably want to have the journal on, not disabled, so it makes recovery of the drive a bit easier if power is interrupted and splats the file system...
With limited resources you must choose among the lesser evil. If you can get more stability at the cost of losing a bit of reliability when crash happens maybe is enough for media files.

I personally disabled partially to "unstress" HDD operations.

'tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/sda1'

But only a few days running it to get conclusions.

Haven't you also said (more than once) that you don't recommend using any router as a fileserver?
Yes, he said. But there is also such term as "ends and means". If I don't want to buy one more lumbersome and power-greedy device (aka NAS), then using router for putting backups and watching movies from SSD is an acceptable means to an end.

Well for the price of SSD, it may cost less to get an enclosure with self-contained PSU.

Just out of curiosity I checked the indicators of my current laptop SSD.

5cOHCce.png

2% endurance indicator and 77% of Wear Leveling Count (WLC), and that after 3 years of intensive use. That is laptop (!) where reads/writes are much more frequent than will ever be on router ( i.e. backup) SSD.
I believe I can live with that, and even with lesser numbers :)

Yes, he said. But there is also such term as "ends and means". If I don't want to buy one more lumbersome and power-greedy device (aka NAS), then using router for putting backups and watching movies from SSD is an acceptable means to an end.

5cOHCce.png

2% endurance indicator and 77% of Wear Leveling Count (WLC), and that after 3 years of intensive use. That is laptop (!) where reads/writes are much more frequent than will ever be on router ( i.e. backup) SSD.

A SSD in a modern system with trim support gives the longest possible lifespan. However in an embedded Linux system with an ext2-3-4 filesystem with no trim that lifespan will be way shorter, but no way to make a serious guess.

However in an embedded Linux system with an ext2-3-4 filesystem with no trim that lifespan will be way shorter
That's why I said
and even with lesser numbers
Extrapolating current numbers (3yrs with 2%/77% of wear) to possible maximum lifespan term one can get a probable number of 10 years which is mooore than enough :), and even overkill. It's highly unlikely I will use the same SSD in 7 years.
5 years of SSD life is quite okay for me.

That's why I said
Extrapolating current numbers (3yrs with 2%/77% of wear) to possible maximum lifespan term one can get a probable number of 10 years which is mooore than enough :), and even overkill. It's highly unlikely I will use the same SSD in 7 years.
5 years of SSD life is quite okay for me.

Certainly you can try it once you are aware of possible issues. And even from time to time perform a full image backup and restore with a disk image tool from Windows through a sata port to "refresh" degraded performance. It should work.

:)

5cOHCce.png

5cOHCce.png

I believe I can live with that, and even with lesser numbers

Cost of power must be very expensive where you live. It is 7 cents per Kw/h where I live. My router has small NAS connected which serves our family's needs. All laptops(iOS, MS) have SSD. So far no SSD failure in any of them.

Cost of power must be very expensive where you live. It is 7 cents per Kw/h where I live. My router has small NAS connected which serves our family's needs. All laptops(iOS, MS) have SSD. So far no SSD failure in any of them.

Laptops incorporate TRIM functionality, the router does not. Comparing SSD failure rate in laptops to one attached to a router is misleading and dangerous to your data.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!